[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Pathfindersonline • View topic - I Heard There Will Officially Be A Difference

Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:13 am 
New Friend

Hello, Jerusalem Cricket the newb here. I'm the Drillmaster for the Orchards, WA, Pathfinders club. We have a good time and I've got a handful of eager kids who've been with me for a few years, and they LOVE fancy drill and can't get enough of it.
Here's my sitch: I took my kids to the OR Conference Pathfinder Fair last May (2006) to do fancy drill for the first time. We practiced beforehand in the designated spot, mostly to work out nerves. One of the judges had seen our routine already, therefore, when he approached us just before we were to perform, and pretty much dressed me down in front of my kids for not having a "real" precision drill routine. This was news to me as I don't have a lot of resources. The kids were a little shaken, so I just breathed in and out and moved on, and they were okay, but that judge did mention something about how next year there were going to be rules specifying what moves were precision and which were freestyle. I don't have a manual or anything that even tells me what the precision moves are. I made up every single thing we did, and in spite of the judge's unfavorable view of our routine, we took a first place ribbon and the third place trophy, so it couldn't have been all bad. But what I want to know is this: where can I find out what is going to be precision-allowed, and what is not, because I know my kids are going to want to do it again this year, and I want to know that the moves we do won't count against us. Any help anyone can provide will be welcomed.
Thanks,
Jerusalem Cricket

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:16 am 
Master Guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:46 pm 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:45 pm 
New Friend

Thanks for your replies. I assumed there was a "fancy drill"Pathfinder video out there somewhere because I googled it very early this year, and came up with a report of minutes from a meeting that mentioned that the few clubs who had beta tested it found it very nice. No one I've talked to on the West Coast has any idea what I'm talking about. I don't even know where those minutes were recorded (which conference or anything), but somewhere someone has a precision video, I think, and for all I know, it's just one drill team showing their cool moves. Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about, because I sure don't. This pseudo-knowledge is what prompted me to post this thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:23 pm 
Master Guide

A good video that is, unfortunately not a pathfinder produced one, is the Marine Corp silent drill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:25 am 
Master Guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:55 am 
Master Guide

That sound really cool. It sounds as though your conference is going to have three different drill & marching categories. Ours only has two, but you must do the basic event to participate in the freestyle event.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:06 am 
Master Guide

Yea, we have to have a basic team to have a freestyle team. I think they are keeping that also still...

We had clubs that did really amazing precision marching but wern't getting really good scores, because of some flashy freestyle stunts. Although we do have deffinite guidlines for freestyle drill. This seperates it a bit, and incourages more the precision, fancy marching.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:22 am 
Master Guide

That sounds like my conference. I would like to be able to focus on just one though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:12 am 
Master Guide

I kinda don't like how our conference requires a basic team to have a fancy team.... sometimes it is hard for a team to memorize two routines...

they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze”
Isaiah 43:1-3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:06 pm 
Master Guide

We always have the younger pathfinders do the basic team. Leaving the more experienced older pathfinders for the freestyle team. This requires more people too help out both teams. This helps the younger kids learn good basic marching skills first. It seems to work out pretty good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:30 pm 
Master Guide

In our conference, the team members must be the same for both basic and freestyle events.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:58 pm 
Master Guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:02 pm 
Master Guide

It is hard if you are just rebuilding your clubs drill team and they really would rather be doing the freestyle moves, but haven't quite got everything down yet. I could do it, but the only way would be to have a strick and no nonsence practice that would drive many of the members away. Above all else, I want every member to have fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:22 pm 
Master Guide

Yeah our team has been very defunct for a very long time... the last time we did ok was when I lead the nine to a second place... but that was because we had really motivated people on the drill team... and made our own moves that kept it interesting...

you remember "Open the Barn Door March?"

that was a fun one!

they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze”
Isaiah 43:1-3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:58 pm 
Master Guide

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:01 pm 
Skillful Ranger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:03 am 
Participating Companion

That was a regrettable situation...we are still working on getting all the kinks out, but its coming along. the only advise I can give to help avoid that situation in the future is to be in contact with whoever is in charge of the drill competition. And get the rules as soon as possible so you have the time to review them and ask the necessary questions to make a routine that is in compliance with all rules. This has been one the most challenging things when it comes to competitions.

"Adapt and Overcome"