Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:39 pm 
Astute Guide

I am just wondering if anybody knows when the swimming honors will be updated?!?! As a Water Safety Instructor (WSI), and a current swimming instructor, it is rather annoying to have the requirements for swimming advanced state that you are to complete level 7 of the American Red Cross System (because level 7 no longer exists)! I keep trying to figure out what to tell kids to do to get their swimming advanced other than do the requirements outlined as an alternative to getting the level 7 cert. anyway, i was just wondering if anybody knew when these honors are scheduled to be updated?

Explorer Counselor
Master Guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:28 pm 
Astute Guide

It may be that no one in charge realizes this... I hadn't heard anything about it. I can mention it to some people, and maybe it will get fixed.

"The union of all strengthens the work of each." ~Ellen G. White, 1SM 84.3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:29 am 
Participating Companion

Hmmm. This could be a problem I had no idea till I read this, but as both my Mom and I are WSI and lifegaurd cert. we may be teaching the honor at the district campout. I'm glad someone realised this before that. :) I never actually completed any redcross leves past level three, but I have all my swimming honors as I am a competitive swimmer, so I hope someone can help. Mabey someone has a copy of level seven requirements?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:49 pm 
Astute Guide

i'm sure that somebody has them... but for now i would just suggest (as painful as it is to say this...) follow the rubric outlined with the honor as an option instead of earning level seven... or maybe they should go through several different sections of the sixth level??? just a few suggestions... good luck when you teach it!

Explorer Counselor
Master Guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:20 pm 
Astute Guide

I finally remembered to mention it to the director of AdventSource today, and he was happy to hear that (not that it got discontinued, but that someone told him about it), and he said he'd make sure he passed the word along to the right people

"The union of all strengthens the work of each." ~Ellen G. White, 1SM 84.3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:10 pm 
Astute Guide

So seriously, does anybody know who I could talk to about how to get these updated, because I really want to be able to try and work on the answers on the wiki, but it just isn't practical when it should get changed soon!

Explorer Counselor
Master Guide

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:27 pm 
Master Guide

I think Mark O'Ffill might be on the honors committee, but I'm not sure (are you Mark?) When I filled out the survey last year, I suggested that the swimming honors be renamed as Swimming I-V, as it's really confusing to know whether Swimming Beginners Advanced (or is that Advanced Beginners) comes before or after Intermediate. I got positive feedback on the suggestion from whoever was collecting the surveys (I forgot his name though), but nothing else ever came of it.

I also reported metric conversion errors in a couple of honors (Gardening and Archery), but those are still wrong too. I would imagine that the people on the Honors Committee (if that's what it is called) are a very busy bunch of people. I can't blame them if they file my ideas in the low-priority pile.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:11 pm 
Helpful Explorer

jomegat wrote:
Swimming Beginners Advanced (or is that Advanced Beginners)

Beginners Advanced I believe. MAN they need to change the names

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:12 am 
Helpful Explorer

I have supervised PF swimming honours for many years. They certanly need updating. The South Pacific Div is supposed to be doing an up date at present. I hope they include all the current NAD honours. But back to swimming. Have you really looked at the Beginners Swim honour. It progresses as if we are actually teaching people how to swim. Most 10 year olds already can swim to some degree or are confident in water. When I test them for the honour I have streamlined the 15 or 18 odd requirements to just 4. Combinations of requirements. Eg. if they can swim 10m then float in place for 30 sec turn around swim back to pool side; most of the requirements have been achieved they certanly must have done some breathing doing it (instead of wasting time at the pool edge demonstrating breathing). So the practical requirements can actually be completed in about 10 miniutes.

Fiordland wanderer
Invercargill
Home of the Fastest Indian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:50 pm 
Astute Guide

I must confess, as a WSI I take liberties and change things to what I know is practical for them to know, especially considering the modern / up-to-date requirements. I know exactly what I want them to know, and how I want them to do it. In other words, I have kind of taken the pathetically out of date requirements and thrown them out the window and do what I want anyway, and after I have assesed that they are competent in current standars, I give them their honor. This is why I want them updated so badly, because not everybody is so fortunate as to be able to improvise and doesn't have a good basis to go off of!

Explorer Counselor
Master Guide

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:52 pm 
Helpful Explorer

I agree with Jomegat - the swimming honors ought to be called swimming I - V. There's a Beginner's advanced honor (how can a beginner be advanced???) and a swimming honor - it not logical that that an advanced honor is before other honors - not advanced - in the same category.
In Norway we have had the same honors at least since 1970 and they are called Swimming I - V.
We have had some discussion about making a sixth swimming honor as a new no. II, because the difference between the requirements in the first and the second, as the honors are now, are to big. I'm probably going to make 6 swimming honors for the Nordic countries - that will make to red backstroke swimmer patch no. III and IV.
I see nothing wrong in referring to other organization's requirements as long as the actual requirements are written out in the honors, and just referring to the other organization. Of course, if the requirements are changed, as in this case with the swimming honors, it is a bit confusing, but with a note something like this, there should be no room for misunderstandings: The requirements for the swimming honor, advanced, is equal to The Red Cross level six, which currently (1995) is like this. And then follows the reguirements.
I feel rather confused myself, when I'm trying to translate an honor, and the only requirement mentioned is to fulfill some diploma or course not described amd impossible to find anywhere. Or outdated.

Lupus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:22 am 
Master Guide

I created a new template and category in the wiki this week to make it easier to flag problematic requirements. I can't do it myself right now, but I guess we should flag the Swimming honors soon. If anyone else wants to jump in and do it, take a look at House Plants to see how.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:11 am 
Astute Guide

ok thanks! i will definately be sure to look at that!

Explorer Counselor
Master Guide

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:27 pm 
Astute Guide

ok, I know I must be annoying everybody with this topic by now, but the American red cross is expected to put out a new curriculum here shortly in 2009; so now would be an ideal time to update them!

Explorer Counselor
Master Guide

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:50 am 
Helpful Explorer

The South Pacific Division have just updated all swimming honours. Great. It tie it to equilivant requirements in Royal Life Saving Society of Australia (RLSSA). Check the web site http://honours.adventistconnect.org.

Fiordland wanderer
Invercargill

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:35 pm 
New Friend

I found the pre reques super confusing so I mapped them out in a chart - all water related honors in order. http://www.investitureachievement.org/wiki/index.php/Category_talk:Adventist_Youth_Honors_Answer_Book/Aquatic_Master_AwardStuck it on the discussion page behind the Aquatic Master Award.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:21 am 
Skillful Ranger

Thanks Jade :) That helps a bit. I do agree that the Swimming honors need to be updated and renamed - I fully support the Swimming I-IV option Jomegat mentioned. It makes more sense. Kinda like Camping skills I-IV.

On a related topic, I really think the CPR honors should be updated as well. The Red Cross and American Heart Association (which both offer courses) have changed how they teach CPR. Not to mention there are a few different kinds of CPR. Don't know how that equates in other countries, but I'm sure oyu have similar problems with out of date requirements.

Central NH Flames

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:06 pm 
Helpful Explorer

Yes the American Heart Foundation CPR instructions have changed. They basically advise not to do breathing, not waste time checking for breathing or trying to find a pulse. It the victim is unresponsive start compressions to the tune Staying Alive.

Fiordland wanderer
Invercargill