If you are have a bike-a-thon or a "Move-a-thon" you will need to be prepared in certain ways:
1. It is best to have a set route with a known distance for sponsorship purposes.
2. Determine if sponsorship will be based on laps completed at a particular distance or in miles completed.
3. Contact the municipal police (or agency with jurisdiction over your intended route) to find out if there is a permit required. For example by City Code in Scottsdale Arizona we had to hire off-duty Scottsdale Police or county deputies to provide traffic control along our route where it was on pulic right-of-way. This included intervals along straight runs and all intersections even though we were required to follow traffic laws and did not cross any major streets.
4. If this is not required you may still need police for traffic control.
5. Determine how many chase vehicles (trucks for bicycles) and rest stations need to be on your route and how you will staff them.
6. Determine if the local jurisdiction will require you to hire an ambulance and staff to be on stand-by for your event.
7. Make sure you are doing everything you need to, to be safe and within insurance policies of your conference.
The short answer to your question Drasdream is, it depends upon where you are as to wether or not you need permission from the government with jurisdiction.
Xtreme Youth Resources International