Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Scratcher Cards
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:38 pm 
Master Guide

Well I crashed and burned on this one. When I was a Pathfinder we went door to door to rasie money, we were not afraid to try and our parents supported us. Everyone involved understood that to do the things we did money had to come from some place. Today, door to door is not as safe as it once was and many parents (fewer youths) understand just how much things cost. We were having a bit of trouble in Osh Kosh preparation as it was started late, so...

...I looked over the scratch card fundraisers that are out there, they all seemed about the same a couple were better. I got samples and discussed it with the staff, exec. staff, and Assoc. Pastor. There was some concern that it would be seen as a form of gambling, in fact some staff saw that way. we voted to go ahead in the end.

I heard complaints about my direct action for the first time in my involvement in Pathfinders. Some people did feel it too much like gambling. Looking carefully it is not, but apparently scratching is just to state lottery like for some.

Second what cost us a couple of thousand dollars and could have raised as much as twenty thousand came in under five hundred. We extended the time and still little result. The Pathfinders just had no self motivation, at all. Even with promise of award and a promise of twenty percent for the TLT Fund did not them moving. I have never seen a group more disengaged.

Although this was VERY simple and required no selling or commitment from people our group just could not get it done. I learned this, be very, very careful about understanding the motivation and willingness of the group before committing large money (any money) to back a fundraiser.

Sincerely,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International

Post subject: Motivation
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:31 pm 
Participating Companion

Sounds like these Pathfinders may also have been motivated by the fact that some of them may have felt it was too much like gambling as well. If this were on my daughter's mind, she wouldn't be motivated at all.

Right now, my Pathfinder Director is considering selling raffle tickets to her neighbors to raise money for the Pathfinder mission trip to do a VBS in Alaska this summer. Now that I've read your results, I feel confident in sharing my opinion with her to NOT do this.

The ends will not justify the means.

What was your justification for saying that scratchers were not like gambling? I am truly curious. Was every scratcher a winner? And, what was the prize?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:29 am 
Master Guide

They are not at all like gambling, that is if you consider gambling a chance to win. That is to say that you as the donor would scratch one spot on a card, only one, and donate that amount up to $1.00 and not lesss than $0.10. After you give your amount you recieve a coupon page that has a variety of coupons that is a thank you for participating. If you do not wnat to scratch a dot then you just donate.

The card provides an excuse while not selling something for a person to approach someone to raise money. Since every card had an identical total value and I numbered them all it also provided accountablility to the kid. Limiting the tempation to spend raised cash on candy... wich I have seen a few too many times.

So there is a "gamble" you may not find yourself obligated to donate a full dollar. Stangely, most Christians do not see raffles as gambling, of course that may be because it is a staple of Orthodox Christianity.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:56 am 
Participating Companion

Thanks for the explanation. This doesn't sound like gambling to me, either. I was a bit confused as to how your process worked. In fact, now that you've explained it, I think it's a great idea!

Sorry about the confusion on my part.

Sincerely,
Christine "Chrys" Wall

Counselor
Grace Connection Disciples
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:17 am 
Master Guide

It is a good idea and very successful for those that it works for. It was disasterous for me. I was the Fundraising Coordinator and that idea seemed simple and beneficial, I failed to properly assess my group's character and habit.

I posted this originally so others would think about that, I am experienced and have held many positions, we all fail sometimes. If we can avoid failure by learning from one another then we will individually fail less often making us more successful as an organization, as a faith.

Research ANY fundraiser carefully and make sure it is right for you. I have a long explanation of a sponsorship fundraiser here that is a car wash, that works well for us in fall and spring. In Maine, you could not pay me enough to wah cars in October or November. Not everything is for everyone. Same idea for sponsorships are bike-a-thons, and in 1984 I ran in a heart-a-thon under the same system. Some things can be adapted to work for others.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:10 pm 
Superlative Voyager

I've been looking into these scratch-off cards as well. They do look like a good idea, but getting our kids to go and ask for money is harder than asking for cans - people ARE stingy with door to door kids - they're even stingy with the christmas bell ringers at the mall. My director doesn't want to do anything where lots of money has to be put up front - since we don't have it to begin with....but I have been looking into it for our youth team. Maybe I can also get some experience. I know our youth team coordinator is looking into it it big time.

Marcie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:59 pm 
Master Guide

Bought them, there are several sources. There is only one I liked but that is neither here not there. If you are planning on doing this or any fundraiser it is important to search out the sources and differences on your own. I can offer advice, but I do not know the kids in your club so which might be best for you is up to you to determine.

You can do a google search and find them easily enough.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:26 am 
Superlative Voyager

*hugs you*

lol, that sounds like a great idea. I don't know why people would consider that as gambling...

When we ALL KNOW... that some of these same people aren't the least bit hesitant to scratch off the card at Macy's that saves them 10, 20, 30, or 50% on their purchase. :x

It's a great idea... and churches won't ALWAYS support what Pathfinders do. I've been in a club that had the church come down on the director, but the kids supported her, and kept her going. Now's the time where other staff members are supporting you and keeping you going.

It's a great idea... 10 cents or 1 dollar... I don't see anything wrong with it. If you think it's like gambling... then just donate the entire dollar!

Central California Conference