Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:17 pm 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD
I was wondering why we are teaching this in Voyagers when it has only ever before been taught in the Master Guide curriculum.

I'm also having trouble understanding the 2nd belief. I know that we believe that God is "3 in 1," but I'm unable to understand how that can truly be. How can there be "one God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, a unity of three co-eternal Persons." in our beliefs? The best that I've ever understood it is in personalities. God is one being with 3 distinct personalities (given the names, as found in the Bible, "God the Father", "God the Son", and "God the Holy Spirit").

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:33 pm 
Site Admin

I have wondered about why the 28 fundamentals for Voyager since already in MG curricula...I've asked and not gotten a satisfactory answer.

co-eternal persons is the nomenclature used in the official doctrinal statement. I would suggest going to the GC website OR getting the "28 Fundamentals" book and reading through.

More specifically, the 3-in-1 refers to three persons with one purpose. After all, when Jesus was on earth, God and the Holy Spirit were still "doing their jobs" in heaven and in interactions across the universe. There IS a distinctness evident in scripture from Genesis 1 ("let us") all the way to Revelation (Rev 5). I am guessing that you may simply need to review the Biblical passages and see that "personalities" is probably not the best word to describe the Trinity :) May God bless your study (all 3!)

Thanks for the question!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:13 am 
Astute Guide

It is interesting that this requirement is basically the same as the Master Guide requirement. However, I still think it is a really good requirement to have. Ninth grade was about the time that I started becoming interested in studying SDA beliefs in depth, and I think many young teens are the same way. Plus, you can never study it enough. In fact, thinking about it now I am thinking this would be a great thing for me to do in my personal Bible study time.

As far as the Trinity belief, that is one of the hardest concepts to grasp, and I don't think that there is a single person on the face of the planet who comes even close to understanding it. There are many symbols people use to describe the Trinity.

The Trinity is like...
  • A 3-strand rope. It has 3 distinct strands, but they are all woven together into one rope. The three-ness makes it stronger. (In architecture, triangles are the strongest base shape to build on, too.)
  • Water. It comes in 3 phases, solid, liquid and gas. All of them are water, but they have different properties and purposes.
  • An egg. It is composed (roughly) of the shell, the white, and the yolk. All three are part of the same egg but have different sustaining purposes for the embryo.
  • 3-part Name. Most people in "Western" culture have three names: First, Middle, and Last. Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are all God, just different names of God.
  • Instead of thinking of 1+1+1=3, think of 1x1x1=1. Also what's interesting is that you normally think of multiplication as being "bigger", and to God one is a big number. He is one, and He wants the church to be one, and He wants to be one with the church.

Of course, none of these illustrations is perfect. The combination gives us bits and pieces of the whole picture, though it is still quite fuzzy.

The way I think of the Trinity is kind of like three different job descriptions that God has. There is the Father God who oversees things, the Creator Jesus God who has the most intimate experience/interaction with the human race, and the Holy Spirit God sent as a comforter and as the power by which we may live righteously. These are just different job descriptions that are all taken on by the same God.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:26 pm 
Skillful Ranger

Tuningpeg: I LOVE your explanations here. And I think it an awesome way to explain it to the Pathfinders :) Thank you very much for sharing it!

Central NH Flames

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:54 pm 
Astute Guide

I'm so glad that they were helpful. Praise God! I just read over that post again myself and found some neat insights. :)

"The union of all strengthens the work of each." ~Ellen G. White, 1SM 84.3