Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Good Idea?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:21 am 
New Friend

I was wondering if anyone has done a HUGE hike with their Pathfinder group? We are considering doing a 300 mile hike along coastal Alaska. Visiting towns and hopefully arousing interest along the way.

God Bless
Weavers in AK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:58 pm 
Helpful Explorer

Sounds cool. I would look at the backpacking honor requirements first though.That would be a great time to earn it.

Post subject: HUGE backpacking/hikes
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:21 pm 
Site Admin

When I lived in Orlando, our club did a 40 mile backpacking trip in the Appalacian Mts., but that is nowhere close to the 300 miles you're thinking about.

It will take A LOT of planning!!! And preparation!!!!

Mark O'Ffill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:56 pm 
Master Guide

I would recommend that you try some smaller trips first, so you can see how far your crew can walk in a day, how much food you'll eat, how much gear you can carry, etc. 300 miles is a very ambitious trip!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:40 pm 
Master Guide

Even very experienced packers would spend 30days on this kind of trip and you will either need a supply vehicle or hunting licenses because you will consume at least 60 pounds of food each on the trip and need 240lbs of water for each person if you can do it 30 days.

It is a really unique idea and one worth some looking into for sure, just be sure you look into it well. It is tough to lead a group that far and some who go will not likely be able to make the trip if you do not spend a year or so preparing those who will go.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:28 pm 
Master Guide

If they're going to visit towns along the way they'll be able to replenish their supplies. But I think your 30 day estimate is good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:44 pm 
Master Guide

I did not check a map, it depends on where they are, many towns in AK are quite some distance apart. Then the point is to visit those towns along their way though, I really do like the idea.

fish

Post subject: Supply vehicle
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:39 pm 
Site Admin

I strong encourage a supply vehicle... we found it very helpful on our longer backpacking multi-day trips.

Also, be SURE that several people, including the Forest service have a detailed itenary of your trip. We don't want any disasters on the evening news!

I would even suggest GPS transponders that can be attached to the group so that if you guys get lost/hurt, etc. that the rescue workers can find you "on the map." I'm not sure where you would buy them, but I've heard they exist.

Mark O'Ffill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:59 pm 
Master Guide

Those are outstanding suggestions by Mark, there is the better part of a family still missing in the Pac NW now and hikers that are missing and will be dead if they are ever found at Mt. Hood.

It will also be neccesary to have someone who is medically trained, ALS a paramedic or PA or Doctor is best you will be covering too much ground in too remote an area not to do this. You can check in Alaska you can probably find someone who is both capable of medical treatment and of managing such a trip that has experience with expiditions up there or in Canada.

Also, you might want to check cell and radio availablity along the route ahead of time and if you are to be more than a few miles from town at any time scout landing areas for air craft. If radios and phones are not reliable in the area to be traveled then you can check around with local groups and authorities for a Satellite phone, someone up there has to have one.

Chris
XYRI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:37 pm 
Skillful Ranger

We went on a small 10 mile hike and that wore me out plenty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:08 am 
Master Guide

fish wrote:
Those are outstanding suggestions by Mark, there is the better part of a family still missing in the Pac NW now and hikers that are missing and will be dead if they are ever found at Mt. Hood.

Yes, living in the Pacific NW I followed that closely. I had a good friend who was stranded on Mt Hood for a whole day a couple months before. Thankfully he was well prepared. Preparation can not be stressed enough!

I had a cousin that backpacked with friends through Asia. I heard about that adventure. They planned very carefully, also using public transportation some of the time.

Start with some smaller trips and there will come a day you’ll be ready for Alaska. A really challenging route and less cold as far as temperature is the Pacific Cress trail from Canada to Mexico in the western United States. I’ve backpacked on parts of it; someday it would be fun to tackle.