Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Teen director?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:36 pm 
Skillful Ranger

I just wanted to know what all of you think about a teen being the director of a Pathfinder club. I know it's possible and I know plenty about being a leader in a club, but some questions have come up. How could I get a club started in my church, being just a teen? I don't live with my family, so I don't have their direct support here with me. Will adults have a negative attitude towards my trying to get something started, since I'm still so young?

The families of the kids in my church are also fairly conservative and very family-oriented. How could I get them to commit to coming to weekly meetings?

Any tips and ideas? :)

Post subject: Re: Teen director?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:01 am 
Master Guide

emmykrishe,

I would recommend to contact you Area Coordinator. If you don't know who it is, please contact the Conference Youth Director and ask him. Also, talk to your pastor and tell him you would like to start a club. I will pray for you.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:59 am 
New Friend

Talk to God about it if you have not already. He has the answers already waiting. Not just a quick prayer asking for guidance, but pursue Him repeatedly with all of your heart. A ministry in Pathfinders is a wonderful calling, AND much work. Consider carefully the reasons you want to start a club. If any of the reasons you come up with involve ANYTHING of gain for you, wrestle with God about it until you are entirely out of the picture, and HE is central and the main reason.

Once you and God are full partners in the ministry (Him leading, you following) it will go much better for you AND those you work with.

After that process, if your church does not already have a Pathfinder club, talk with your Pastor. Most of our Pastors are God-fearing individuals who want what is good for their flock. They will want to understand your motivation that we first discussed. Age should not be a big problem (other than some logistical problems that can be overcome such as transportation, and older supervision required in some settings).

Your local Area Coordinator can help you with tremendous resources to make it happen.

Several important things should be considered once you get the okay and start moving:
(1) If you are asked to be the leader at a young age, ask an older adult, someone you trust, to be your deputy director. With age comes experience, with experience wisdom. You have a greater portion of enthusiasm, they have a greater portion (not all of it, just a greater portion) of wisdom. Then with your increased experience will come more wisdom, and we pray you will retain your enthusiasm.
(2) Commit yourself to spending AT LEAST an hour a day of just you and GOD time. Church, prayer meeting, Pathfinders, group Bible study nor any other "good thing" should subsitute for that personal time with God.

Your Brother in Christ,
Keith

We are the clay and You are our Potter; we are all the work of Your hand. Isaiah 64:8

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:28 am 
New Friend

Hiddy!!

I am 17 and deputy-director of my Pathfinder club in Florida. It's a lot of work first of all. But there is something different about the club now that my brother, being 22, and I are leaders. We can relate to the kids in a different way because we are closer in age and are more knowledgeable of what youth in the 21st century go through. Yet, our staff is comprised of a range of ages. So what is most important of the director is their relationship with God, dedication to the cause, and cooperation with working with others. Age is not the factor that would hold you back in reaching youth.

Realities:
You will have to work 10 times harder to be successful because all eyes are on you. Even those who support you will think, "Oh they are so young. Not responsible," when something goes wrong. So you will have to put forth more.

Also, make sure that your schedule permits the amount of time needed each week. Everyday there you should work on something Pathfinder related, otherwise you will overwhelm yourself if you procrastinate. It take a couple days to get a good devotion together, keeping up with upcoming events, research, class planning, keeping track of finances, keeping in contact with Adevnturer leader and area coordinator and staff, planning each club meeting. It takes a lot of time.

Have complete faith and trust in God. He is the only one who will keep you strong and get you through the hard times when things just are not going according to plan, but things will work out. Have a constant relationship. Keep a prayer list! Pray with staff. Pray with anyone who will pray with you.

The church. The church is the support that will keep you going. They love seeing their youth involved. So, keep them in the know. Give announcements of hoe things are going. Present slides hows of events the club went to or hosted. Have them donate. Offer the assistance of the pathfinders to the church. Wear the uniform a lot.

It's possible with: Relationship with God, good staff (pray about it!!!), use all resources possible (at the pathfindersonline.org website)and the passion for Pathfinders!

Passionate about Pathfinders,

Shana Browne :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:48 am 
Helpful Explorer

Being a director takes a lot of TIME and HARD WORK. See if there is an adult in your church or in a nearby church with PF experience that will commit to being your mentor (i.e. helping you put together your program, joining you at meetings, etc.). Area Coordinators and Youth Directors have many clubs to deal with. It may be more beneficial to have someone who is just there for you.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:02 am 
Master Guide

both Pathfinders and I have similar experience. Being under 18 and being the director is possible. There are certain requirements that must be fulfilled.

First since a person under 18 can not accept any legal responsibility for the club or on behalf of it a member of the church board MUST be appointed as the sponsor and present at staff meetings. This person becomes your presiding officer and is normally an Elder (all of the old JMV Societies were staffed by the members). Ultimately the Elder who sponsors the group has veto power over any single action and as always the calendar must be pre-approved by the church board.

No event may be held without the proper level of legal supervision by an adult 1 adult for 3-5 juveniles.

Finally, if you do not have 40 extra hours a week and your club is going to be over 20 kids unless you have and adult Exec. Deputy with the time you may be hurting more than you help. A club that is executed poorly is a hindrance to the spiritual growth of the members as well as evangelical purpose of the church.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
XYRI

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:31 pm 
New Friend

I am glad to see you willing to step up and fill a gap that you see in your church. I started in Pathfinders at age 8 and am now 38. I have gone from pathfinder to drill master to drill master/director. Being a director is very time consuming and the others are definately right that it is in your best interest to have a good adult Deputy Director. Even if this person doesn't want the title but is willing to do the work it will be an infinate amount of help to you. Make sure it is someone that you can trust to support you and will not undermine your authority but will be willing to confront you in private about concerns and will give you honest and constructive advice. One of the most difficult things for me looking back is the patience that I didn't have at a younger age that antiganized some situations. If this is an area that you need work on be aware of it and spend time with God dealing with it. The stress that you add to the job when you don't have patience it insane. Try to form make some allies one the church board. The nasty truth is that there is alot of politics involved. Prayer will help with that. Again, I think your doing a great service and applaud you for it. We will be praying for you. Have fun and remember respect is earned from the kids not given by them.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:23 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you for being willing to serve.

Please treat these suggestions seriously, but at the same time, don't let us "old guys" dampen the passion God has given you.

I was a 15 year old director and I made many mistakes, especially that first year! However, the church was wise in that they appointed a deputy director that was older and MUCH wiser than I, and that was tremendously helpful, though I didn't always like it (I thought they were being too slow/doubtful/questioning of my authority, etc.....) However, they always went to bat for me when others had issues! That was good!

It will be essential to have adult leadership present at all meetings as stated above. Also, you cannot drive Pathfinders to/from meetings or trips in your car until you're 21, at least in the NAD.

You mentioned that this is a conservative FAMILY centered church. That probably means that you should get some of the GOOD (maybe not synonymous with COOL) parents to help you lead as instructors, counselors, etc. Family oriented clubs tend to have a lot better attendance!

As mentioned above, you will need to have the support of the pastor and the board. Without their support and voted backing you should NOT start a club....all events an ministries are the responsibility of the board!

Be sure you pray, pray, pray, and LISTEN to those that also spend serous time in prayer.....

God bless!!!!

Mark O'Ffill
Site Admin
Area 9 Coordinator, Northern California Conference

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:21 pm 
Skillful Ranger

Are you a TLT? How old are you?

Voyager

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:57 pm 
Astute Guide

I think she is in college.

"The union of all strengthens the work of each." ~Ellen G. White, 1SM 84.3

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:54 am 
Participating Companion

well im a pathfinder myself and not yet a tlt but i know how it could be .
we almost had one of our tlts as director and sum of the parents were concerned .

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:20 pm 
Skillful Ranger

I was just wondering.

Voyager