Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Considering Baptism
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:33 pm 
Participating Companion

Hiya 8)

My name is Hayley and I am 13. I live in London, England. When I was about 7 years old I began goin to church on Sabbath's with my grandma. I chose to do this of my own free will. My mother and two sisters who I live with are Christians but are not what i call practicing Christians.

I really love the Lord and believe in the Adventist preaching and stuff. I absolutely love coming to church and love being a Pathfinder. I see my friends and other people in the church being baptised I think: I love God, I want to be a part of the church, I want to be pure, I want to be washed free of sin, I want to make a fresh start and I want to be on God's winning side and show Him that I truly do love Him.

I have never had baptism explained to be properly. Could someone please tell me that when a person gets baptized; what exacly are they saying about themselves? What do they want in their lives? What in their live will change?

Because I do not want to get baptized without knowing what it actually is and if my reasons are good reasons. Also, if I decided to become baptized at this moment in my life, who should I tell? My grandma? My mother? Someone else? And how should I go about it. "Hey grandma! I wanna be baptized!" :mrgreen:

Please could someone contact me because I really want to talk and discuss things in my life and come to a decesion.

Please also pray for me because I have a few problems at the moment.

-x-Thanks-x-

:P :smt060

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:22 pm 
Master Guide

Your local church Pastor or and Elder should offer Baptismal Classes somewhat regularly for youth. Check with them, let your Sabbath School Leader know you are interested he will help you.

The most basic understandings are found in the NT of the Bible. You shold read through some of the statements, I will have to look up specific verses. In the Gospel sense Baptism by immursion is the symbolic or literal act of dying to self and being resurrected with the Holy Spirit of God. A public demonstration and statement of faith that Jesus is Christ and that He alone is the way to salvation.

For many churches, including the Seventh-day Adventist Church it is also membership. The act symbolizes your vow to accept the Gospel doctrine of the church and provides for you at any age the right and responsiblity to be aware of church business and vote for officers and on other issues.

There are 13 baptismal vows in the SDA church. I am checking to see if they are online. IF not I will try to take the time to type them out. You agree to these vows by baptism. This is why a class is important. An alter call at an evangelical seminar may bring many to be baptized but none of them will understand Christian lifestyle. This does not mean later they will need to be baptized again, it does however; provide the opportunity in the vaccum left by evangelists moving on for people to leave behind their zest for learning of God and exercising their faith. They often fall back to the habits and lifestyles they sought to leave in baptsim.

I know this helps little. My primary purpose was to send you to your pastor for a baptismal class.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International

Post subject: Adventist Beliefs
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:02 pm 
Site Admin

Greetings Hayley!

Your thoughts are good ones! I'm glad you're so intentional about finding out what baptism is all about and what you're promising to. Your integrity and the value you place in this decision (and probably others) will help you to live a life of meaning.

In addition to your pastor or head elder, you could talk with your Pathfinder Director. He/she would know who to talk to in your local area.

If you want to see an "overview" of what the Adventist Church believes, check out this link that is from the Official Seventh-day Adventist website.
http://www.adventist.org/beliefs/index.html

If you cannot find someone who is willing/able to lead you through some Baptismal classes, please be sure to post back here. We'll get you connected in some way!

Blessings,

Mark O'Ffill
(I'm a Bible teacher, former Youth Pastor, and long time Pathfinder Leader. You're discussion / thoughts are very exciting for me to read! :P )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:24 am 
Participating Companion

Thankyou SO much for your help!

I will talk to my Grandma first I think, and ask her to help me enrol in a Baptism class in church. Thanks! :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:10 am 
Skillful Ranger

Hayley, I understand much of what you are going through. I myself was baptised when I was ten, but didn't join Pathfinders till I was 15. When I did, I was amazed. I had truly found my ministry within the church. Throughout my life, I have wandered away from God several times. There were always people and events to show me the way back. I thank God for that every day. I am now 21, and have been active in the church for many years. Pathfinders is great, because it helps me keep my focus on those things that truly matter.

Central NH Flames

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:38 pm 
Superlative Voyager

What a great decision... time to lose another pin! :D

These are the 13 baptismal vows from pages 32 and 33 of the Church Manual, taken from

http://www.adventist.org/beliefs/church ... index.html

Baptismal Vow Candidates for baptism or those being received into fellowship by profession of faith shall affirm their acceptance of the doctrinal beliefs of the Seventh-day Adventist Church in the presence of the church or other properly appointed body. The minister or elder should address the following questions to the candidate(s), whose reply may be by verbal assent or by raising the hand.

Vow

1. Do you believe there is one God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, a unity of three coeternal Persons?

2. Do you accept the death of Jesus Christ on Calvary as the atoning sacrifice for your sins and believe that by God's grace through faith in His shed blood you are saved from sin and its penalty?

3. Do you accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and personal Saviour believing that God, in Christ, has forgiven your sins and given you a new heart, and do you renounce the sinful ways of the world?

4. Do you accept by faith the righteousness of Christ, your Intercessor in the heavenly sanctuary, and accept His promise of transforming grace and power to live a loving, Christ-centered life in your home and before the world?

5. Do you believe that the Bible is God's inspired Word, the only rule of faith and practice for the Christian? Do you covenant to spend time regularly in prayer and Bible study?

6. Do you accept the Ten Commandments as a transcript of the character of God and a revelation of His will? Is it your purpose by the power of the indwelling Christ to keep this law, including the fourth commandment, which requires the observance of the seventh day of the week as the Sabbath of the Lord and the memorial of Creation?

7. Do you look forward to the soon coming of Jesus and the blessed hope when "this mortal shall . . . put on immortality"? As you prepare to meet the Lord, will you witness to His loving salvation by using your talents in personal soul-winning endeavor to help others to be ready for His glorious appearing?

8. Do you accept the biblical teaching of spiritual gifts and believe that the gift of prophecy is one of the identifying marks of the remnant church?

9. Do you believe in church organization? Is it your purpose to worship God and to support the church through your tithes and offerings and by your personal effort and influence?

10. Do you believe that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit; and will you honor God by caring for it, avoiding the use of that which is harmful; abstaining from all unclean foods; from the use, manufacture, or sale of alcoholic beverages; the use, manufacture, or sale of tobacco in any of its forms for human consumption; and from the misuse of or trafficking in narcotics or other drugs?

11. Do you know and understand the fundamental Bible principles as taught by the Seventh-day Adventist Church? Do you purpose, by the grace of God, to fulfill His will by ordering your life in harmony with these principles?

12. Do you accept the New Testament teaching of baptism by immersion and desire to be so baptized as a public expression of faith in Christ and His forgiveness of your sins?

13. Do you accept and believe that the Seventh-day Adventist Church is the remnant church of Bible prophecy and that people of every nation, race, and language are invited and accepted into its fellowship? Do you desire to be a member of this local congregation of the world church?

Central California Conference

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:19 pm 
Astute Guide

By all means, send this Pathfinder a pin when she is baptized.
BTW, I lost another one this morning.
That pin was only on my uniform once.

A lot of good help on this forum Hayley.

If at all possible, get your mother involved.
Two things might happen.
She will come to understand your decission, and maybe make a decission of her own.

It was during an appeal at a baptism that I made my decission to follow the Lord and be baptized.

My prayers are with you.

Mr Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:32 am 
Participating Companion

Thaks for all your help. Btw is anyone here attending the camporee on thursday in ipswich?

I can't wait! :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:00 pm 
New Friend

Just another thing to add to the previous posts. In your first post you said you were having a few problems. I think you should be right with God and others before you make your decisions.

But I don't want to discourage you and I hope you make the right choice. I'll pray for you, and keep us posted on how the classes are going. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:44 pm 
Participating Companion

::::Just an update::::

I'm gettin baptised in December God's willing!!!!

Hayleyxxx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:10 pm 
Astute Guide

Great news.
God is always willing to have one of His children show the world that they are going to follow Him.

Congratulations on your stand for Him.

If there is no one in your area to get you a Baptismal pin, let me know via a private message, and I will see that you get one.

Mr Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:33 pm 
Master Guide

YAY :smt026 :smt045 :smt003 :smt040
Thats really great, congratulations! We'll still pray for you, it can be a hard journey. But God is with you, it'll be easier...

they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze”
Isaiah 43:1-3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:29 pm 
Master Guide

Very wonderful hayley.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:34 pm 
Participating Companion

Heya!

Thanks for the comments. Since I told my Pastor I want to get baptised I've noticed a real change in my life! Now I have personal devotion every day - which i didn't do before - I just feel closer to Jesus and I find myself praying to Him more and thinking WWJD in more situations.

Thanks for your help!

Hayleyxxx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:42 am 
Master Guide

Awesome Hayley :!:

Baptism is a deap commitment, I'm really glad God is already changing your life!!

:o Now that you have changed though, Satan will be all the more ferosious. Hold on to God, and remember God is way more powerful, so trust in Him. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:03 pm 
Master Guide

Sweet!!!! Keep up the commitment. This is really the best thing you could be doing with your life. I'm really glad you are. You may not realize it, but you are being an example to the younger pathfinders in your club. Keep that up too.

they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze”
Isaiah 43:1-3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:01 pm 
Superlative Voyager

My youngest daughter is getting baptized next Sabbath, it is an exciting time, but it is a time where Satan tries his hardest to win you back, I will be praying for you. Oh and congradulations!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:11 pm 
Participating Companion

I am very happy to say that I got baptised today!!!!!!
:lol: :) :D :P :mrgreen:
Yes I am very happy about that!

Satan tried so hard to stop it from happening. This morning my grandad, who usually takes my grandma and I to church (he doesn't go himself though) woke up to find his car tyres slashed!! But my grandma and I got on the bus and got to church :mrgreen:

And then he tried to stop my mum and sister's from coming to see me get baptised. My mum's zip on her dress broke but we had a back up outfit thank the Lord! And then the taxi took aggggeeesss but my mum got to church in time to see me.

She wanted to take pictures but the camera wouldn't work! :x

But I'm just soooooo happy that I actually did it and that my mum and sister's were there. Satan tried and tried but it didn't work.

Thanks everyone.
Love from Hayleyxxxxx :smt050

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:00 pm 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD
I am glad for your commitment. I pray that you will always have Christ in you heart. I would also encourage you to witness to others that you know need a closer relationship with our wonderful savior!

Post subject: Baptism
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:35 am 
New Friend

Hayley, how wonderful!

I have a teen daughter and although she loves God and was born in the Seventh-Day Adventist Church, been a Pathfinder, gone to church EVERY Sabbath, she has not yet made the decision to get baptized. I pray that she will do so soon, but I never push her. It's gotta be a personal thing.

I'm really happy that you made that decision, becoming an example for other young people and affirming your faith. I will keep you in my prayers as Jesus gives you the strength and the wisdom to press on. I will pray for your family too, that they may feel the Holy Spirit impress them as He has impressed you!

Congratulations! :D

Yolanda, MG
Brandon Spanish, FL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:17 pm 
Astute Guide

Hayley, I'm so happy for you!!! I am so glad your life is being changed like that! I will say though that I fell into a time of doubt, rebellion, etc. soon after I got baptized and it lasted about 3-5 years (don't remember exactly). Just stay on your toes and if you have second thoughts about your faith pray for more faith and strength to resist temptation! I know you can do it, with God's help!

"The union of all strengthens the work of each." ~Ellen G. White, 1SM 84.3