Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:28 pm 
Participating Companion

I have a question in mind with regards to jewelry, since we have to live a simple and pure life so jewelry is not for us to use. Here is my question is wearing a wedding ring considered a jewelry? It is because here in our place we strongly oppose of wearing such kind of thing. I don't know the idea of others? :?:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:56 pm 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD
The simple answer is yes. A wedding band can be considered jewelry. However, unlike most other jewelry, wedding rings are a symbol of your formal union with another individual (your spouse).

When my parents got married, wedding rings were just starting to make their way towards acceptance in the church. Engagement rings were still a ways off. Instead a watch was given to the female, instead of rings.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:05 am 
Participating Companion

veteranpathfinder wrote:
The simple answer is yes.

Then if that is considered a jewelry then, does it make an excuse that we should have to wear it?
veteranpathfinder wrote:

When my parents got married, wedding rings were just starting to make their way towards acceptance in the church.

So I can infer that even in the past it is not accepted, because by that reasoning that, that is a "symbol of love" then we are justifying the means for the end. Even though it is not appropriate for us to wear that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:50 am 
Master Guide

Wedding bands, like wrist watches, serve a useful purpose. In our culture they are a universally understood indicator that a person is married. Having one will ward off unwanted attentions and advances.

I know a person who reversed her stand against wedding bands until she discovered that one of her co-workers had been "courting" her. He found her attractive, and seeing no wedding band assumed she was not married. When she figured out what was going on and told him she was married, he was heartbroken.

Labutakti, if you are thinking about banning wedding bands from your staff members, I advise you against it. It is not a test of fellowship in the Adventist church, and taking such a stance will almost certainly result in the loss of otherwise great staff. It will further result in anger, alienation, and hurt feelings.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:18 pm 
Participating Companion

It's not that I'm insisting my idea. I am just confuse if we as Adventist have the same stand regarding some doctrinal issues, in which in other countries they are forbidden to wear the ring, while on other places it is accepted. Therefore it doesn't make sense that because of culturally accepted we could some excuses. While in one writing by EG White, that we should not wear those. I'd like to hear your comments on this.

Blessings!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:42 pm 
New Friend

I have to be honest and say that this is an issue that I also struggle with. As a younger man, I had taken my wedding ring off for a electrical/mechanical job I was doing (not a good idea to wear a ring in those circumstances). I inadvertantly left the ring on the job site and it was several days before I got it back. In the interim I was approached by a lady who thought I was 'available' and who was very upset and embaressed when I explained that I was married. Many in our culture do view someone wearing a wedding ring as 'offlimits'.

However, I understand the confusion that arises with this issue. Especially explaining to young people how one type of jewelry is okay and another is not. I have personally shed many tears with and for young people struggling with this very matter. Whatever happens I always try to point their heart to God and ask them to overlook human failings, and instead look to God because HE DOES NOT FAIL.

I don't see a clear mandate in the Bible about wedding rings, rather a broader idea that suggests our time, talent and resources are best spent in the service of our Creator and that we are built just right in God's image and don't need anything extra to make us beautiful.

I agree that it would not be wise to mandate that other staff in your club not wear wedding rings. As noted by a previous poster, it is not a test of fellowship in the church, and hurt feelings will certainly result. When Christ walked this earth as a man, His strongest rebukes were often for those who used religious law to force their views on others, I for one do not want to be on the receiving end of a rebuke like that.

One of the great failuring of human kind is that we have this need to build up rules as a wall around us to 'protect' us. God gave us a basic set of clear rules, but later, Christ summed it up as love your God, and love your fellow man. God wants us to love Him and order our life after Him, not for fear of breaking the rules (and the consequences it brings) but rather BECAUSE we love Him. A rule has yet to be invented that can control the intentions of the heart because that is not how we work.

Pray much about it and study diligently it is not an easy question.

Your Brother in Christ,
Keith

We are the clay and You are our Potter; we are all the work of Your hand. Isaiah 64:8

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:08 pm 
Master Guide

The current and modern official stance of the church (SDA) is that a married couple may choose to wear a ring. Although I am near certain I have written extensively on this topic on this forum before I am not going to search it out now.
A couple of thousand years ago most people never traveled more than a hundred miles in any one direction during the course of their lives and that was if you were nomadic. The setitary [sic] life was unlikely to take you more than thirty miles. Marriage was (in nearly every culture it was mandatory) a very public event and alllllllll were invited who were in your town or region. This meant you would never have to worry about someone not knowing you were married. Couple this with courtship laws that had death sentences in a era when being sentenced to death meant you saw your last sunrise. Who was married and not was a simpler life.

In a plural society such as that in the USA a method of identifying ones self as married is appropriate and may even be necessary if you live in an urban area. Much like the way you choose to dress will identify you as a conservative person or a liberal person on site a wedding ring does the same for marriage or a Mormon CTR ring does for a young LDS who has chosen to remain a virgin until marriage.

If a cultural method for identifying a married woman (or man) varies for a geographic region then the same ideology for our people must remain and it does. The doctrine is not in the ring but in the purpose as a member of the SDA faith it is right and proper for you to openly identify yourself as married (if married) within the means of the cultural tradition in which you live.

As a church officer if you deem that doctrine is not okay with you then you need to hash that our with your elders and self. You personally, like I, choose to be SDA and adhere to the best of our human ability to the doctrine of the church. Like Josef Cardinal Ratzenberger stated shortly after becoming Pope Benedict XVI in response to liberal american Catholics complaints the church had not changed and modernized itself for the culture of the modern world: (paraphrase) it is not the duty of the church to change for its members but for members to change for the doctrine of the Holy Church. If a person can not reconcile the doctrine of their religion to themselves it is not their place to lead other members apostate from within but to remove ones self from office and membership (then if one chooses to avail ones self of the freedom of speech to announce to the world very specifically why). I am not suggesting that you need to leave the church or that you are apostate to it. I write this because where you stood when first posting is near certainly at least one step behind someone else who might actually cross that line more easily than you would.

We all need to remember to ask questions like this one. These topics are often hard and even seem impossible. The matter of fact is that Paul the great apostle to the gentiles faced these very sorts of issues within each church because the clash of culture and religion never fails to occur, bringing light to dark is never easy. In this case sometimes we forget that Mosaic law did not expressly forbid all types of jewelry, if forbade self adornment and mingling in the secular practices of the modern world. In fact some of the most orthodox Jews in the world are in the precious stone cutting business. The word jewelry in an anglo-saxon (anglicized) form of a French word taken from the Latin Jocale which means plaything. A wedding ring is not a plaything. As to the Biblical references to accepting and trading rings and various regulations against it - this is to the participation in secular ritual. The surrounding world of the Israelites used rings as a symbol of acceptance of a physically intimate experience or relationship (in some cultures presented by a woman to a man). Honestly the meaning is little different in the exchange of rings in modern marriage symbolizing the commitment rather than experience including emotional intimacy rather than purely physical.

God Bless,

Christopher Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International