Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Music
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:57 pm 
Participating Companion

Iv been wondering this I know rock is made by the devil but Rap and hip hop? Is it as inosent as country music or as blamefull as heavy metal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:54 pm 
Helpful Explorer

I'm not sure that anything was made by the devil but all things can be used to do his work... just like we could use it to do God's work. If we are to worship God in spirit and in truth, then listen to whatever form of Chrisitan music that will bring you closer to Him. In all things, do to the glory of God.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:46 pm 
Master Guide

The Devil is not responsible for making any type of music. That said the ungodly among us are certainly involved in making ALL types of music. There is not large catagory of music that does not include those who are without God; Rap and hip hop are primarly subcultural gang forms of music and these people are not Christian (some may think they are) as a result their music is not. This same thing can be found in country music as well, and even in "Christian" music. Many performers who have made music people have called Christian turn out to be just as worldly as the drug dealing gang member making rap CD's in Las Vegas.

The world is what it is. A place with few Godly people and many worldly people. Many of them worship gods they do not even realize they adore and others simply worship themselves, for those many in the world there is no issue in such music. For Christians whose lifestyles are an endeavor to emulate the lifestyle of Christ, we are more discerning (although not perfect) and will shy away from those things so blaintantly anti-God.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:03 pm 
Astute Guide

Okay, first of all, the typical country music is AWEFUL morally. It is saturated with sex! No offense to anyone, but I abhore it!

Secondly, I think it mostly depends on the words of the music. There is a lot of country-style music that has good lyrics and is perfectly fine. Drums aren't the only thing that make music bad--there are plenty of terrible bands that use no drums, just pianos and stuff. Everything depends... (when organs first came out, church leaders thought they were of the devil, so they didn't allow them in churches. Today, they are considered some of the most conservative instruments ever created!)

Thirdly, I personally don't listen to the radio, not even Christian music. It is so theologically mixed up, and the sad thing is you don't realize it unless you really look at and think about the words. And even then it doesn't seem to contradict the Bible. There is a song by Point of Grace (whom I really like, or at least used to) that goes like this at the end of the chorus: "If everybody's worshipping something, I choose You!" Now this is fine, right? I don't think so. It is like putting God on the same level as other gods. It sounds like "Okay, I'll do eeny-meeny-miney-moe, and that's who I'll choose!" There is no reason given for choosing God, it's just some random decision. CCM is so incredibly shallow! There's nothing in it! That's why I don't really like it. EDIT: It isn't necessarily "bad", but you can find better music.

There was a discussion on the Guide magazine discussion board about music. A kid asked whether he should quit listening to linkin park. One response by PastorShayne (whom I know personally) was something like this:

PastorShayne wrote:
Ask them [the parents] why the think that the music is inappropriate - and then listen. Ask yourself about what message they send and if you should be agreeing with that message. Don't try to talk around agreeing with it. If you listen on a regular basis you are agreeing with it.
Pray about it. Look for what is best not just what is good.

Here is an idea if you really want to know if you should listen to it or not - if you aren't really interested in stopping then skip this next part... Here goes: Stop listening for say a week. During that week pray to God about your listening choices. Ask Him to open your heart to the truth about your choices. Don't just pray once, but several times. Keep thinking about your prayer throughout the day. Pray everyday about it, expect an answer and be open to what the answer is.

Think about this: What is the message of the music? What does it make you think of? What does it encourage? How does it go with what God wants for our lives?

EDIT: "Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light." ~2 Cor. 11:14

"The union of all strengthens the work of each." ~Ellen G. White, 1SM 84.3

Last edited by tuningpeg571 on Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:01 pm 
Skillful Ranger

The definition of musical styles (genres) are more a matter of cultural frame of reference than a means of identifying Christian or non-Christian music.

Since cultural and music tastes vary from location to location, culture to culture, the best way to choose which music to listen to is to compare it's performers and performances against the description of spiritual things given in the Bible. Gal 5:19-26 gives some guidelines that I would apply.

“The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.”

If the music you listen to and the musicians creating it, can be described by the second paragraph above, than it is likely appropriate to listen to as a Christian regardless of the specific genre it may fall under.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:23 am 
Astute Guide

I think that's probably the best way of looking at it, Gerald G!
PS: See edit in third paragraph of my last post--I forgot that part, it was the whole point of the paragraph!

"The union of all strengthens the work of each." ~Ellen G. White, 1SM 84.3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:22 am 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD
In theory, music is all about what you want out of it. But, I don't believe that. Much of modern (namely pop, rock, r&b, etc.) music us based on exciting beats. These beats subconciously give you a trance-like effect. You don't really think about the words, which many people say is the entire problem. Instead, you are listening to the beat. Unfortunately, subconcioulsly you are drinking in the very words that you think you are ignoring. Your brain stores everything you hear and see. It doesn't matter whether or not you are conciously paying attention to words of the song. Also, often times the mind wanders idly while the music is going.

Country music has a soothing sound instead of a steady beat. Suprisingly enough, even classical music also has a trance-like effect.

I work as a security guard. I have often walked into an elevator and been talking on the radio. I wouldn't even hear the elevator music going, but after I got out of the elevator and wasn't talking on the radio, I found my brain repeating the elevator music that I "hadn't heard."

The devil doesn't create music specifically for the purpose of "infecting us." The devil simply uses the ability of music to put us into a trance and the idleness of our brain to gain entrance into our minds to polute it with sinful thoughts.

I am not saying that all music is bad, but that all music can be used inapropriately and have the wrong effect on us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:27 am 
New Friend

well, i kinda agree with veteran pathfinder. He has some good views.

um, the Beatles I think were the first people to come out with the drums.
Alister Crawley was also a heavy satanic worshiper.
The beatles were close friends and also involved with Alister.
okay the drums origanally came from Africa.

We all know that in Africa they use the drums
to call down Satan and evil spirits for their rituals and
sacrifices,....etc. The beatels took that and put it into
their music therefore calling it rock..
(along with the electric guitars and stuff like that). By the way...
alot of Alisters' satanic writtings is put into rock, and
heavy metal music nowadays. Now, I like rock, and heavy metal.
I like rap and hip hop. BUT I'm trying to get away from it cuz'
I know its not good for me.

okay, well i could write more but i dont want to seem...well, you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:11 am 
Skillful Ranger

Drums come from much longer ago than the Beatles and were not limited to Africa in origin.

They were also not limited to the use of calling evil spirits. In Exodus 15, Miriam (called a prophetess) and the other women of Isreal took out their timbrels, and danced while praising God for his rescue. (Timbrel is commonly translated to tamborine, but was likely not what we know as a tamborine today, more like a wood and skin drum played by the hands) This detail is not really a big deal since either way, it was a percussion instrument.

When David was returning the Ark to Jerusalem, He and all of Isreal were celebrating with music which included tambourines, rattles, and cymbals. (2 Samuel 6)

There are many more examples of drums and percussion being used to praise God. (I wish recording technology had existed in David's time so we could hear what that music sounded like.)

It is important to me that I avoid lumping my cultural frame of reference into my understanding of right and wrong, or biblical truth. I posted above in a former message one way to discern appropriate music from non-appropriate. I don't believe you can discern one from the other based on any musical stlye of the musician.

For an interesting article on the musical instruments found in the Bible, I suggest reading the article found at the link below. Although you don't require to know these instruments for your music honor, it would'nt hurt ot read up on them.

The following is a quote from another study I read... "The heart of worship is Jesus, not the instruments we use. The instruments are tools we use as part of our expression to God."

Link: to bible instruments.

http://bibletools.org/index.cfm/fuseact ... RTD/Barnes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:42 pm 
Master Guide

Gerald is right, cultural frame of reference should not necessarily be used to determine your views of right and wrong. However; the adoption of cultural practices to "Bring people to the Lord" has also proven to be an historic failure (amongst the most note worthy failures were the Franciscan monks that came to Mexico and the S.W. USA in the 17th century and adopted local gods as saints, many of these monks disappeared completely into the cultures they were trying to turn to Christ).

In addition "What we all know" varies widely based on experience, exposure, and education. One should choose his words wisely and often refrain from making statements of fact when not widely educated in a given topic.

There is no particular instrument of music that God finds in disdain He created us and music. We are told of angels who are worshipers of God that play and sing beautiful music, possible God Himself created the instruments on which men play long before our creation. It is how we choose to use them that matters. As God loves man because we are precious creations to Him, He loves all things He has created. God does Hate sin, and some music is just that.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtremeyouthresources.org

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:19 pm 
New Friend

I don't have time to make a good post on this subject but I have been studying music for at least the last 4 years and I have found some good resources.

Brian Neumann was raised adventist but went astray and spent 16 years as a secular pop/rock artist in Europe and South America. For a short time he modified the words to his music and called it Christian but eventually went back to the secular music with it's drugs and other stuff.
God finally got through to him when he overdosed on drugs and he made the commitment to leave his music behind and commit the rest of his life to the study of music if God preserved his life. He recovered and after a long struggle he commenced on that very thing.
You can find his material along with some very interesting music at http://www.amazingdiscoveries.org. He has a music siminar that covers 8 DVD's available here http://amazingdiscoveries.org/SMVideo.html
He also did a series at Doug Batchlors church and you can get DVD's of that from amazing facts. It is called "Sound Advice"
http://www.amazingfacts.org/Store/DVDs/tabid/94/CategoryID/23/List/1/Level/a/ProductID/1580/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName

Ivor Myers was a Hip Hop artist with the group the boogymonsters.
He has also had a lot of experience with music. His story was recently featured in Guide magazine. He has several DVD series on music, the music industry, entertainment and other stuff. His website is http://www.powerofthelamb.com/

I hope you guys check these resources out. Also they spoke in some seminars at GYC 2006 http://www.gycweb.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:49 am 
Helpful Explorer

I like country music a lot--- as you can probably tell tuningpeg! :lol: ---but I also like classical music. I've found out that in both types of music there are pieces that make your mind think in the wrong direction (I don't know how, but it happens! :smt017 ), but there are also songs that are very uplifting. It seems that in every type of music there is always something that would somehow tarnish it. One thing that I don't like, however, is when rap and/or rock is mixed in with the hymns. I always thought that hymns were to meditate on God, not to swang into the beat. But then, :lol: , that's just me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:18 am 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD
That is correct wolfmoon. The hymns of our church were created to meditate on the spiritual things in our lives that remind us of God and everything about Him.

Post subject: Re: Music
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:20 pm 
Skillful Ranger

I listen to Christian Rock that soemtimes can lead you in the wrong direction about things but the bands I listen to always are Christ Focused unlike hip-hop, country, pop, rock, etc. No offense to anyone who likes those types of music it's just that i don't want to listen to something that talk about God's love and power to destroy sin. Remember whatever you do do it for the glory of god because you belong to God. :D

Voyager