Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: iPod at the Camporee
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:57 pm 
Master Guide

We just got back from our conference's Fall Camporee (Northern New England). It was a blast. Our club had been asked ahead of time to lead the song service Friday evening, and we agreed. Unfortunately, none of our members are musicians, so it looked like we might be leading the service a capella.

Instead, I brought my iPod and a set of powered computer speakers. I loaded the 4-disc set of the "He Is Our Song" song book onto it, and we used that. It worked very well. I was asked by another club if they could use it for the number they were going to do, and I said "sure thing."

We had it set up for the next program, and before that club's turn came, another club (Hi Cailin!) was getting ready to sing from the "He Is Our Song" book - a capella. I offered the iPod.

I use the iPod during Sabbath School on a weekly basis, and I have found it's much easier than fishing out the correct disc, calculating the track number from the song number, skipping ahead to that track, etc. I can just scroll to the right song and press play. I have also tried burning mixes to CD, but that would have burned me this time - about the time we thought we were done (we had gone through all the songs we had planned on) an Area Coordinator asked us to lead a few more numbers (our speaker had not yet arrived.) With technology on our side, that was easy.

The downside is that iPods are not cheap. Mine was a gift from my employer, and this is hands down the best use for it that I have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:52 am 
Master Guide

It does depend o the size of the songs, but most songs are about 3 minutes long. You're not going to get 1000 songs like Beethoven's 9th Symphony on there (it's over an hour long).

I've had mine loaded with about 30 CD's which came to 450-ish songs. It was about half full.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:32 pm 
Master Guide

Yes. But then you could average that out by loading four smallish songs. I really think they should have advertised the number of hours the device would hold rather than the number of songs. OTOH, Apple sells songs for $0.99, so it's easy to see that it would cost $990.00 to fill your iPod using songs you bought from them. That makes the $200.00 initial cash layout look small.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:17 am 
Master Guide

Ipods are handy, and nifty. I wish I had one. The best way to think about it, it your average song is between 4 and 5 MB and the ipods hold anywhere for 4 to 60 GB. That could be a lot of songs.

they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze”
Isaiah 43:1-3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:21 am 
New Friend

You don't necessarily need an Ipod (or other similar device) to do all that. Any laptop computer will store and play mp3s, as will most of the newer palm tops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:47 am 
Master Guide

Sorry for not answering you sooner. An iPod will take songs from other sources besides iTunes. All the songs I ever put on mine came from CDs - I've never bought anything from iTunes. I haven't tried the $0.88 songs from Walmart either. Old codgers like me don't need new music.

I have no idea whether the Walmart offerings would work on an iPod or not, but I can easily see that it might not in today's climate (Google for "Sony rootkit" if you're interested).

But as MrStark said, you don't need an iPod to listen to MP3's. After I used iTunes to put my CD's on my computer I realized I didn't need an iPod most of the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:27 pm 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD
Although I have tons of music at home. I don't think that I will get an iPod. I have found that Sony's Atrac3+ system works quite well. You can use it almost exactly like an iPod. An Atrac3+ cd will hold, on average, around 450 songs! I don't know about you all, but I won't get through that many songs before I loose interest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:19 pm 
New Friend

Walmart downloads are 128-bit WMA format. They also use Digital Rights Management (DRM) to protect your music. Basically once you download the song you also have to save the "license" to the song onto your computer. Since the music requires a DRM software to allow you to play the music, you cannot download songs to a Macintosh computer because there is no version of DRM software that is Mac compatible.

iPods do not currently support WMA format. However, if you have a PC I assume you could download the song, burn a disc formatted to MP3 format and re-save the song on your computer. Then you could play it on your iPod. However, it's probably not worth 11 cents to go through all of that.

Also, the DRM protection limits the number of time you can copy songs to a different computer. Not sure if that affects downloading to a portable device also or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:51 pm 
Astute Guide

you can do what you metioned above, or you can also just simply try importing/cut 'n paste the songs into itunes, that way they would automatically be converted to the correct format. this is how i do things when I transfered music from my pc to my mac. if this doesn't work, you can always just save it to a jump drive in a mp3 format, and then resave it in itunes.

Explorer Counselor
Master Guide

Post subject: Re: iPod at the Camporee
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:54 am 
Skillful Ranger

You could also use Quick time player or windows media player. All you have to do is go to which sing you want click it and you can also have pics showing while ur listening to the music. iTunes is also available which can hold lots of songs. My unlce used to work for Apple that's why I know so much also from experimenting with our computers.

Voyager