Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Teddy Bear Camporee
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:54 am 
Astute Guide

Later today we leave for the ARKLA Conference Outreach Camporee 05.
This camporee is a community outreach camporee being held in Hope, Ark.
We have community projects lined up for all of Friday and can goods collecting on Sabbath Afternoon.

The fee for attending this camporee is $5.00 registration and a 12 inch teddy bear.
The teddy bears are going to be given to the women's shelter, state police, and hospital in Hope for those children that need a friend when something bad is happening to them.
We hope to give out some of the bears in person at the hospital.

The Camporee patch has a teddy bear eating a slice of watermelon.
For those who do not know, Hope, Ark, is the watermelon capital of the south.
The patch reads, "Jesus reached out in Love - We reach out in Hope".

We should have a great time sharing this weekend.

Mr. Mike

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:50 am 
Helpful Explorer

:!: Thanks for posting about this outreach camporee. I would love to know how everything goes. I'm also interested in how the camporee is set up. Keep us posted and feed us details! I think it is a wonderful idea!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:44 am 
Astute Guide

This is the third time we have done this type of Camporee. The last two times we were based at Camp Yorktown Bay (CYB) and we did projects in Hot Springs, Ark.
On the last one, we collected 1250 lbs of can goods which were given to the food bank in Hot Springs.
We know the weight because the trailer was run across the truck sales in town.
We cleaned trails at the National Park and State Park, put bark materials down in the playgrounds in the city parks, washed Meals on Wheels trucks, and served meals at a soup kitchen.
We also had a group that cleaned up around CYB.

The Camporee mood is one of service and even if what is being done is physical work rather than fun and games, the Pathfinders love the Camporee.
The City of Hot Springs always wants to know when we are coming back.

Will try to post a story about Hope when I get back.

Mr. Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:39 am 
Astute Guide

The teddy bear camporee was a great success.
It had one of the largest Camporee attendances that our Conference has had.
We had three new clubs come to the camporee :!: :!:

At total of 216 teddy bears were distributed to the state police, city police, fire stations, and the family shelters in the area.
Our club got to take bears to one of the fire stations.
The firemen loved the fact that they now had a supply of teddy bears they could give to children that needed to hug someone or something.
They gave us a great tour of their station and we got to slide down the brass pole.
Similar experiences were had by the each club as the bear distribution was made.

The Pathfinders cleaned up the park which we camped at. This is Fair Park in Hope where the Water Melon Festival is held each year. The park ranger was thrilled by all the work we accomplished. We cleaned trails, picked up trash, cleaned out the swimming pools to help get them ready for the up coming season.

We collected canned food for the family shelters. That group was really blessed by the food and the teddy bears. I know we made a lasting impression.

A reporter for the local newspaper came out as the first of the Pathfinders arrived. There was an article on the front page (above the fold) with a picture of the Baton Rouge, LA club setting up one of their tents. This article told why we had come to Hope. There was a second article on page 3 that was written by the Hope Pathfinder Club Director which went into detail about the activities that were planned. This article made the can collecting very easy. People would see the uniform and ask if we were part of the group at the Fair Grounds. When told that we were Pathfinders, they were happy to help with a donation.

If your Pathfinders did community service projects at Faith on Fire, then you know the satisfaction that is felt when you do this type of work.
While we were tired and in some cases a little sunburned, we had a great time being of service to others.

The song service, worships and other normal Camporee things were great also. It is always good to meet new people and visit with people you have known for years.

It rained for about 15 minutes as the first Pathfinder club arrived. After the official Pathfinder rain, the weather was beautiful for the rest of the weekend.
So far on Monday, it has rained 2 inches. God is sooooooo good :!:

Mr. Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:56 am 
Skillful Ranger

Mike, I did not have an opportunity to do much community service out at FOF. I spent most of my time in MG classes :) I wish I had had time to do some though.....

Central NH Flames