Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:18 am 
Participating Companion

I am the newly appointed director of a new and very young group of PF youth. I am hoping some who have been to previous Oshkosh camporees can offer a glimpse of what I should expect.

1a. Were you able to drive close to your campsite at least to drop off equipment?
(If not we may need to bring wagon or trailer to pull equipment to campsite.)

2. Were you able to park vehicle at campsite?

3. Are Coleman gas lanterns and stoves permitted? (The kind that use liquid fuel and need to be pumped up.)

4. Are there space restrictions for each club?

5. Would a tipi be permitted?

I know its two years away but I intend to begin acquiring the equipment a bit at a time to test it for worthiness.

If you can think of anything else I might need to know please include it. Unless I have an influx of youth it appears I will have four boys and two girls so we could probably get by with two sleeping tents and one for equipment.

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:33 am 
Master Guide

1a. Were you able to drive close to your campsite at least to drop off equipment?
(If not we may need to bring wagon or trailer to pull equipment to campsite.)

Yes.

2. Were you able to park vehicle at campsite?
Yes, but not more than a couple. With ~8 people, you will be able to park probably one vehicle at your site. If I remember correctly, any vehicle you park at your site will not be allowed to leave the site during the week. There will be a large grass parking area within a hundred yards or so from the tent site, and if you move your vehicle there after setting up your site, you will be able to come and go during the week.

3. Are Coleman gas lanterns and stoves permitted? (The kind that use liquid fuel and need to be pumped up.)
Yes.

4. Are there space restrictions for each club?
Yes. Each conference is allotted space based on how many campers have registered, and then the conference will allocate space to each club. We had ample space.

5. Would a tipi be permitted?
Yes.

You will need a kitchen shelter in addition to sleeping tents. Many club find that "instant garages" work well for this, but be careful. Some go up in 15 minutes, and others take three hours. I have had both. We sold the three-hour one (which we got used). We replaced it with a new Shelter King we picked up at Sam's Club for ~$250. You can also rig something with PVC and tarps on the cheap, but watch out for wind. I posted about that here. It does perform OK, but the ends are open, and it does not perform well under very strong winds. OTOH, and instant garage must be staked down, or it too will roll away and suffer damage. I know that the hard way.

Another thing to consider is that you might wish to put the adults in separate tents from the kids. Our conference encourages this as it avoids the appearance of evil. I personally prefer using lots of smaller tents verses a few larger ones. It gives you more flexibility. See this topic for more on that.

I hope you make it to Oshkosh! It's not too early to begin planning for that.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:22 am 
Participating Companion

WOW! Many thanks for the swift response.

It sounds as if we would be wise to park a storage trailer at the site. THAT will not blow away. And we would have easy access to equipment.

I suppose restricting traffic to and from the sites is a safety issue, plus, it would be kinder to the grass.

I'm glad to learn the liquid gas stoves and lanterns are allowed because the small LP tanks go too fast and are expensive.

We don't have a tipi at present but we just finished the Native American lore honor and thought it would be great for camping with. It is a great way to keep warm in the winter, but of course, August at Oshkosh will NOT be cold.

I didn't ask at first, but are nine year old kids from adventurers allowed to attend? We will have three at that age. It would be great if they could attend also. That would give us eleven and they would be 14 by the next event.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:41 am 
Master Guide

We parked our trailer at our site, and it is a great place to keep things. Not so great as a kitchen though.

Restricting traffic is a safety issue.

I love the tipi idea. I'd like to build a yurt one of these days. That would make an awesome kitchen!

In August 2004, Oshkosh was cold. The temperature was in the 40's and 50's through most of the week. Walmart was depleted of all kinds of warmer clothing, etc. My kids suggested that they should rename the camporee "Set my Face on Fire" since that would have (seemingly) been a welcome change. Have your kids pack a jacket at a minimum.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:42 pm 
Participating Companion

WI was cold in AUG? Unreal.

When I think of Aug weather, I imagine hot sticky nights with crickets in the background while waving a fan at myself.

Great idea packing for cold weather, you never know.

We do have a large cook tent we could bring, thanks for the idea. It is a big, heavy canvas unit so I had thought of leaving it home, but maybe I should plan on bringing it.

I guess it will depend a great deal on how many PF youth attend. A lot can happen in two years, I might end up with 15 youth and have to recruit additional staff.

How many days is the event scheduled to last?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:00 pm 
Master Guide

It runs from August 11-16, 2014.

See the camporee website to sign up for their newsletter.

I'm hoping to add a second instant garage to our gear before Oshkosh so we'll have a covered dining hall. Either that or build the yurt to use as our kitchen. The yurt would probably not pack as well as the garage, but it definitely has the cool factor going for it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:23 pm 
Superlative Voyager

Great topic! I've been to every Oshkosh camporee (99, 04, 09) and will be at 14. The weather in Wisconsin cannot and should not be taken for granted. I have moved to Wisconsin as of 2011, and have seen some weird temperatures so far (take for instance a January temp in 1 week varying between -10 to almost 50 degrees Fahrenheit). In summer, it can be very mild (70-80) or insanely hot & humid (it was up to 100 just last August), and everywhere in between. Best bet is to pack clothes & equipment for all seasons, including snow & rain lol (you never know what will happen, although I've yet to see snow that early in the year).

Be prepared to deal with a week without power hookups. Cellphones can be charged at the outlets at the shower houses. The previous club I was with had a chuck wagon for the kitchen, but my current club i'm director of doesn't have finances for such things. I'll also be looking into purchasing some sort of kitchen tent. (THAnks for the recommendation btw).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:56 pm 
Master Guide

Hi Dreamcatcher,

It's nice to see you back here again. We did get a second kitchen shelter, and it has made a huge difference for us. Sam's Club carries a pretty decent 10'x24' model.

As great as it is to have two kitchen tents, I have to say that our trailer is the best piece of equipment we ever bought. We raised money for it for about a year. It serves both as an equipment hauler and storage shed. Without the trailer we would not have been able to have even one kitchen shelter.

Someday I'd like to outfit the trailer with solar panels and a marine battery. In the meanwhile, I have a small Solio solar phone charger.