Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Would you like to see the next International Camporee out west?
I cannot imagine better than Oshkosh 26%  26%  [ 15 ]
I'd like someplace more primitive - real camping 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
I dunno, but I'm tired of the inland weather extremes 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Let's try Colorado again 10%  10%  [ 6 ]
Anywhere else is just fine - we need a change 10%  10%  [ 6 ]
Somewhere in the Southeast 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Somewhere in the Northeast 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Somewhere in the Northwest 14%  14%  [ 8 ]
Somewhere in the Southwest 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Let's just go for the middle, to shorten travel 19%  19%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 58
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:48 pm 
Site Admin

Mr. Mike,

I love your vote for the next Camporee in Heaven.

Let me know when you're working on the ARK honor with NOAH, and I'll join you :D Guess for now we can only earn the Sanctuary and Bats honors (ya think Noah had in bats in the rafters?)

While I agree with other posts that modern facilities such as Walmart are not essential, I think we have learned a few things with each camporee, and we also have a demographic, even in Pathfinders which is much less prepared for TRADITIONAL camping.

Mark O'Ffill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:11 am 
Astute Guide

Noah had two bats for sure. :lol: :lol:

As for coming prepaired, our club comes with most everything we need except the perishables. You can't leave Louisiana for Wisconsin (or other location) with bread, buns, and salad stuff for the next two weeks (time includes side trip to Battle Creek for DTP and FOF). Even if it would not spoil, we don't have the room to carry all that bulk.

Off-site facilities are a must to provide for the large group.

Mr. Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:30 pm 
Superlative Voyager

I agree with Mr. Mike. We traveled up to both DTP and FOF with a totally different strategy for each one. In DTP we tried bringing too much food, most of it spoiled. This time at FOF we smartened up a little - we had our perishable food dropped at FOF and picked it up from the red barn. All we had with us to eat on the way up (from Panama City to Oshkosh) were sandwiches and fruit. I admit we splurged a couple days up there and had meals at a church on Sabbath and went to Fazolis and a Chicago Pizzaria. It was GOOD food! The key tip here is, if you travel with 30 people, you have 2 trailors and don't carry a lot of perishables with you when going on a long distance trip. It might save you money on food at first, but the cost of pulling a loaded trailor and have food spoil on the way up isn't worth it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:13 am 
Participating Companion

I looked at a BSA website for some details on where they have held their camporees in the past. In 1969 they held it at Farragut State Park in Idaho with 35,000 scouts in attendance, but they have held it in Virginia since 1981 (24 years!) Personally, I would love to see it in Idaho for the wonderful scenery and a new experience, but maybe we have found our home at Oshkosh much like the Boy Scouts appear to have found their home in Virginia. Also, since most Pathfinders will only attend one and at most two camporees in their experience, having a new place each time isn't essential. I'll be happy to go either way and yes I'd rather be in heaven to see the ultimate Master Guide if that is His will.

hardworkin1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 6:14 am 
Astute Guide

The theme song has almost been a contest for the last several camporees.
There is a group at the Center for Youth Evangelism that judges the submitted songs.

Mr. Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 12:37 pm 
Astute Guide

I believe the theme is selected by a committee selected by the Center for Youth Evangelism.

Mr. Mike

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:50 pm 
Master Guide

pathfinders wrote:

The director for the event is chosen by the sponsoring body. The Site selection is composed from Youth ministry professionals from around the NAD, under the auspices of the sponsoring organization.

Typically, the executive committee is comprised of representatives from each union, there are about 50 members. You can see the list for the last IC at http://www.camporee.org/html/executive_members.htm. The criteria for their selection is listed at http://www.camporee.org/html/executive_ ... iteria.htm :idea:

The downline directors are chosen by the director who chooses them based on their skill sets and his knowledge of how they have worked / can work with a large event.

I hope this answers some of the questions you have. :!: :?:

Mark O'Ffill

This is a portion of an earlier post in this thread.

God Bless,

Chris fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:18 pm 
Superlative Voyager

This email is from either (I wish I knew exactly which one) the Illinois youth department, or an Illinios area coordinator. But I thought it would be nice to pass it along to you.

Quote:
Today we received a letter from the NAD Camporee committee. Of course, they're already starting to plan for 2009! Although I'm not sure of the place for the next camporee, the dates have been set. The camporee will take place from August 11-15, 2009. So, mark this date down on your calendars, and start fund raising! Let your Adventurers and younger Pathfinders (and their parents) know that they can look forward to attending the NAD camporee in 2009. Encourage your older Pathfinders to stay with the club and become staff members and go with you too. You know how fast these years fly by--it's already been nearly a year since Faith On Fire--can you believe it!?!!! It's amazing...

So it looks like we have a date to work toward. See you in 2009

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:51 pm 
Astute Guide

While not exactly an International Camporee, the 2007 Youth Prayer Congress in Dallas, TX, should be interesting.
I would think that if most clubs are to afford it, they will be camping someplace. I don't think our club could raise enough money to stay in a hotel for a week.
Need to plan for this one and the Camporee in 2009.

Mr. Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:00 pm 
Superlative Voyager

Do you have dates for the prayer conferance?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:10 pm 
Astute Guide

My understanding is during spring break in March.
Don't know the actual date yet.

Mr Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:08 pm 
Master Guide

The NAD Youth Prayer Congress & Choir Festival will be:

Feb 28 - March 4 2007

fish

Post subject: Camporee Date
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:29 am 
New Friend

The date of Aug 11-15, 2009 is not good considering that most schools in the Southern US and other states will be starting around this time of the camporee. Because of the date of FOF a lot of pathfinders from this area of the country did not attend because of course school is more important.

The last two weeks of July or the first week of August I believe would include more pathfinders seeing that no school will be in session at this time in the US and international students will be on summer holidays.

How about camporee someplace in Alberta, Canada? Isn't that still in the NAD? :?:

God Bless,
Hugh F.
Del Rosa SDA
San Bernardino, CA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:52 am 
Superlative Voyager

Was the date a problem with our Adventist Schools or just the public schools? And I don't really know who to take the date problem up with. I believe some of the Adventist schools on the east coast delayed their start last year, but that doesn't help with the kids in public school.

And then you will have the school districts that have gone to year round classes, i'm not sure there is a perfect time for such a large event.

I do know that alot of our public schools here will authorize absents for kids who go on mission trips and even excuse some of the school work.

Not solutions I know, I'm sorry.
Michelle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:36 am 
Participating Companion

From what I understand there is also a consideration for our church camp schedules as well as camp meetings. I know for our club, they made quite an effort to get us home asap. We drove straight through, arriving about 1 am Monday. After about 5 hours sleep, my husband and I were up and loading our son for about a 6 hour trip to register at academy. It was 3 am Tuesday when we got home. I think we were feeling human again by about Thursday!

One of the Pathfinders who went with us missed her entire first week of school to go to FOF. Fortunately she is an advanced student, so the school was understanding. Not the case of another who wished to go, but was denied excuse from her school. She struggled the previous year in her studies and to miss a week of school for her was more detrimental.

Post subject: Camporee Date
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:20 pm 
New Friend

Both public and private schools are in conflict with the date. Most schools are on a traditional calendar (mid August to June). Very few schools are on a year round schedule. The ones that are on year round are mainly public elementary schools.

Because camporee is once every 5 years it would be easier for conferences to reschedule their camp meeting dates.

There is no "perfect date" for everyone, but the committee should think about our Adventist schools that will be in session when camporee starts or will be starting immediately after it ends.

Like I mention earlier, between the last 2 weeks of July and the 1st week of August would be better for almost all of our schools because as far as I know none of our schools are year-round.

God Bless!

Hugh F.
Del Rosa SDA
San Bernardino, CA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:04 pm 
Participating Companion

Hugh F - it actually was the summer camp schedule not the campmeeting schedules that are part of the scheduling conflict.

The summer camp staff from many if not all of the summer camps make up a huge part of the volunteer staff that help out at the camporee. So it's best if the camporee can be scheduled after the summer camp schedule is over. Also in many cases the conference Pathfinder leaders are also the summer camp directors and they really need to be at the camporee.

I know that the last two Camporees at Oshkosh couldn't be scheduled any earlier because of the fly in. There was only one week between the two events. And it takes at least that long to get everything set up.

Last edited by Karen on Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Camporee
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:07 pm 
New Friend

Thank you Karen for making things a little clearer for me. However, if they can find a location that will accommodate an earlier schedule and that is suitable for camporee then it will be worth it. It is easy to choose, the first important week of school or camping. School.

God Bless,
Hugh F.
Del Rosa SDA
San Bernardino, CA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:22 pm 
Astute Guide

The August date also gives problems with the staff as many of them are teachers.
We had to fly our director back home so she could be at school on the first day because she was the teacher (public school).

There are conflicts with summer camp, as well as school.
If the EAA campground is used, their fly in will always come first.

Mr Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:15 pm 
Helpful Explorer

Why don't us Americans travel to another country to have an international camporee? It seems a bit selfish to always have it in North America to me. If I am missing something, please enlighten me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:12 pm 
Superlative Voyager

The population is smaller outwest? Central California Conference has been one of the largest attenders at camporees, and nowhere near all of us attend. In my area alone (with 8 areas in total) there's 11 clubs active this year.

I've traveled all over the US, and I DID ENJOY Oshkosh. And I did enjoy Dare to Care. I enjoyed the different locations each time because it was something new and exciting. To return to the same place, would seem a little routine.

I'd favor Idaho with the exception... that we would be a little far from a large community. Simply for the fact that we have to do so many different community projects. At DTC we did many projects in Denver. And the same with Oshkosh. I actually prefer REAL camping in the woods, but for our outreach, it would be slightly stifled.

The temperature is a factor... right now it's been over 110 in the southwest cities like Phoenix. You guys must be out of your mind to have it there (no offense) the rest of us would melt! We do need to pick somewhere that has a nice climate... and the NORTHWEST.... that's beautiful weather during the summer months. The midwest has tornadoes (we were in one coming home from DTP) *shudders*, everyone thinks California has earthquakes, haha. I don't know. Idaho seems like a good spot geographically, and no bugs? I'm there! :D

There's alot of discussion on it, but I guess we'll have to wait and see what the committee decides!

Central California Conference

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:58 pm 
Superlative Voyager

I know for sure I would never be able to afford going on a jet ride half around the world. I dont' know how those other clubs from international countries can pull it off. Another thing is I'm scared to death - no petrified - of flying. You get me on a highrise and I just about pass out. I love Pathfinder Camporees - but if it's held outside the states I won't go. Also, I think the borders of the states are getting ready to crack down on throughfare. Look at the problems some clubs had getting across the border - a lot didn't make it. That's just my 2 cents. Anyone else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:36 pm 
Superlative Voyager

I know that the central california conference helped to sponsor the clubs coming from Costa Rica. One of the main reasons that we don't have it outside the US as well (to my understanding) is that... for lack of better terms... the rest of the world isn't as organized as the NAD. The NAD clubs sponsor other clubs coming here such as Costa Rica.

We provided their meals, their camping accomodations, and stuff like that. How are you going to take tents, food (across borders no less), and all your camping supplies for a week on a plane? It would be too hard to plan all that out, and put a large financial burden on other Pathfinder clubs that may not be as well organized as NAD clubs. But don't get me wrong, I know some clubs in Europe and Australia are well organized just the same.

But they have small areas to draw from, we have the entire United States to draw from for support on international visitors. I think that's probably one of the main reasons why... in my opinion.

Central California Conference

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:38 am 
Master Guide

Rangerman the simplest answer is: we are not responsible for having international camporees in other divisions of the church. If the CYE (Center For Youth Evanvgelism) wanted to take on the challenge of having an event in another division it would be their perogative if the local division was supportive.

There are division and international camporees throughout the world and have been for many years. In fact, the Camp Hale Camporee was not the first division camporee, I would have to double check but I think the first was the year before in South America.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:15 am 
Superlative Voyager

FOF and the others were not truly international camporees. The were sponcored and planned by the North American Division, several of the other divisions have camporees as well, which I'm sure we could arrange to visit. But that is why the Camporee is located in the US of A. It might be interesting to see if we could find a ocation in Canada , but I'm sure I don't know the logistics of if that is even a possibility.

I too like Wilderness Camping, just not in extremely large groups. Wildernes camping takes more time at the campsite and less time to interact with other clubs.

Being from Wisconsin, it has been wonderful for us to have the camporee so close to home, but we are willing to drive. I must say though, that having the hangers at Oshkosh, has been a wonderful blessing for sponsor and honor booths.