Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:11 pm 
Master Guide

This post by Mr. Mike I think merits its own discussion:

Mr Mike wrote:
I have been thinking about how to get more interaction between our Pathfinders at the large Camporees. Pin trading has been touted as one way to do this, but has led to some trouble. The specification pin for each Conference was an idea to help with the problem.

At an EAA fly-in I attended a few years ago, one of the flight instrument companies gave out buttons. These buttons had advertising on them to promote the company. These buttons also had numbers on them. There were several buttons that had the same number. If you could find a person with the same number on their button as yours, you would go to the company’s location on the campground and claim a prize. I understand that if you could put together three people with the same number, they were giving each of the three individuals a hand held GPS.

What these numbered buttons did was to have people at the Fly-in asking everyone they came in contact with if they had visited the instrument company, and if so what their number was in hopes of finding a matching button. Along the way, I was asked and asked people, where they were from and what kind of airplane they flew, etc.

Could this numbered button idea be used to get our Pathfinders to interact with each other? Maybe the wrist bands could be numbered. Maybe the cost to do this would be minimal. I realize that there will be the group that will just run from person to person for numbers, but some of us would take the time to talk before checking the number. Prizes would be souvenir of the Camporee that could only be gotten by matching numbers.

Mr. Mike

I agree that more interaction amongst peers is great. I always preffered socializing to being herded about, myself.

What about some other things?

Like Skill Exhibitions where peer units from different clubs in the same Union or Conference are teamed together to plan then demonstrate a particular skill that Pathfinders of that peer group should have. It gives an opportunity for team building exercise as well as socializing between the units during the course of an afternoon.

Just some thoughts.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resoureces International

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:00 pm 
Master Guide

Awesome ideas! I agree that more interaction is needed.

Instead of focusing so much on "inflatable toys" and different amusements and entertainment. I think teens would really enjoy doing something different. Having pathfinder skill contest activities, and other "mixers" to help the pathfinders get to know each other. Activities that have groups work together also. Most of these activities could be less expensive, and also be funner for the teens.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:26 pm 
New Friend

I went to Faith on Fire and had a blast, even with the cold, but after I returned I realized there had been I lot I had missed out on, mainly interaction with Pathfinders from around the world. The only international Pathfinders I met where two who I happened to bump into at the Teen Zone. I think one of the biggest reasons why the pathfinders from my club didn't seek out Pathfinders from other clubs was the cold. Most of us were unprepared for the weather, and so during any free time we had we wanted to be back at camp with the small propane heater, instead of socializing with others from outside our conference. The clubs that were closest to us were in the Georgia-Cumberland conference, and we get the chance to see all of them down at Cohutta for camporee, and the clubs just outside of them were in the Southern Union, again clubs we could see just two years later at Southern Union camporee. So the clubs we did see were mainly ones we would all see again. This time, for Courage to Stand I am going as a staff member, and I want the kids I'm responsible for to meet as many people, from as many different places as possible. We have come up with a way to make a contest out of it. Each Pathfinder in my club will get a paper passport, in it they are to either get the signature or the name and place of origin of people they meet. At the end of camporee whichever child or team that has the most names in their passport will get a reward. I hope the 'passports' will encourage my pathfinders to meet and have something to remember as many people as possible.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:05 pm 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD
I like that idea. I hope you don't mind if I use that idea as well for encouraging my Pathfinders to interact more with others.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:34 pm 
Master Guide

I like it too. If I can find the time before we go, I will make up a little booklet with a page (or half page) for every conference in the US and every Division in the world. I want to see who can get the most people from each of those! I may have to require that they ask each person a question too, but I haven't decided what the question will be. Something along the lines of "What is the most unusual thing you have ever done?" I want the question (and answer) to generate a real conversation.

Can anyone suggest a better question?

If I can pull this off, I will upload the booklet in printable form so others can make them too. I may end up punting and having the kids use tiny notebooks instead without the conferences/divisions filled in.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:13 am 
Master Guide

Florida is doing a State Honor. I know that OH is going to do it too. Don't know the details yet of what we need to do. But hopefully it will be something like what Fardreamer is talking about

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:51 am 
Master Guide

Just so everyone knows, be on the lookout for Oshkosh-only honors. This State honor might be one of those. The reason I advise you to watch for them is because if you don't get it at Oshkosh THIS TIME, you may never be able to get it.

I kinda stumbled into a Louisiana Purchase honor at FOF, and since I already had an interest in Lewis & Clark, I jumped right on the opportunity. Afterwards I realized that if I had not acted then, I would not have been able to earn the patch - ever! I now wear it in a prominent place on my sash, as it is not one you see very often.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:58 am 
Master Guide

I did the same with that one and later talking with the teacher he told me that that was the only time that is was going to be offered.