Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:20 pm 
Master Guide

Mr. Mike and I were having an unintended chat in another spot about how often the ARKLA Council meets. Since not every conference organizes itself identically I wanted to bring the converstation up here. I am only sure of a couple of Coordinators using this site currently, I hope those that are, are sharing this site with their peers.

To get this started I propose these questions:

-How is your conference leadership organized top down? Do you have a Pathfinder Council? A chosen Pathfinder Director? How are they chosen?

-How often does your conference leadership meet? Do you meet often or due to logistics are you very limited in your opportunities to meet? What would you suggest as an improved meeting style or frequency?

-What areas does your Pathfinder leadership focus on? Are you limited to fair and camporee planning or do you have more "proactive" involvement?

-Do your conference coordinators get out to physically help the clubs in their area with organization and start-up? What other services do your coordinators offer for the clubs in your conference?

-What suggestions would you offer to a conference just organizing their staff to help them achieve success?

I had the privilage of working with the Conference staff in Arizona when the first Coordinators were put into place under Elder Hubert Cisneros. Some of them (like HPD25's in-laws) are still serving as Coordinators and District Directors here today. I have been involved in Pathfinders long enough to see a very interesting evolution of leadership and structure occur since my childhood. Comments on this forum have demonstrated the various levels of organization and stuctural differences throughout the NAD. My experiences with Xtreme Youth Resources International have opened up the rest of the Global Pathfinder Community to me and I have learned these things: Despite the picture in my head most Divisions are many years behind NAD in resources and organization development (often a financial issue). Few are progressive in developing new ideas and programs such as we are in the NAD and many if not most borrow NAD resources and structure to apply to there Divisions as best they can be suited with local resources and cultures.

Through the existance of this forum and others like it (in and outside NAD) we as leaders of various levels (even Pathfinders) have a more direct opportunity to benefit the youth programs of the church by bringing to the table an ever widening cache' of experience, experiences, ideas, and questions. NO question, NO idea is to insignificant to be asked or presented. By doing this here we have an ongoing record; an opportunity to revisit topics with time. Discussions and ideas are not lost at the close of a brief encounter between minds but linger here to be built upon.

Thank you, God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Executive Director
Xtreme Youth Resources International

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:01 pm 
Astute Guide

ARKLA currently uses the following conference organization.

Conference Youth Director/ Conference Youth Secretary
Lay Pathfinder/Adventurer Director
Four Area Coordinators for Pathfinders (Appointed)
Four Area Coordinators for Adventures (Appointed)
Four Area Representatives for Pathfinders (Elected)
Four Area Representatives for Adventures (Elected)

The above represent the Pathfinders and Adventurers in the Pathfinder/Adventurer Council (PAC). The primary function of this council is to plan all the Conference events for Pathfinders, TLT’s and Adventurers. Other policy issues are dealt with if they affect Pathfinders and Adventurers.
The PAC meets at least four times a year (sometimes via conference calls).

The appointed Area Coordinators are appointed by the Pathfinder Director with approval from the PAC. The Area Representatives are elected during a business meeting held at Leadership Weekend by the Directors and Staff present at Leadership. Elected representatives are not necessarily at the Leadership Weekend.

The Area Coordinators have written job descriptions which include visitation to the clubs for two inspections during the year and Investiture.

Over the years, questions have been raised and answered via e-mail, phone or by a visit if necessary.

This PAC organization has been in place for about 20 years now and has served ARKLA well. The PAC has functioned during periods between Youth Directors and the Pathfinder/Adventurer programs did not suffer.

The ARKLA PAC uses a small yearly Conference registration fee for each Pathfinder/Adventurer to fund the PAC operations on a normal basis. Funds have also been raised by designing and selling Conference trading pins for the International Camporees. With these funds, the PAC has been able to pay the operating costs such as travel and supplies and to subsidize the cost of Conference Camporees to keep the fees low in price.

In a larger Conference, a separate council for Pathfinders and Adventurers might be required. At the moment, we are not large enough to need it. We do breakouts to plan the separate Pathfinder and Adventurer events as required. Our organization setup is not the only way to effectively oversee the Pathfinder/Adventurer programs, but some type of PAC will make any program stronger.

I agree with Fish that NO question, NO idea is too insignificant to be asked or presented. The only dumb question is the one never asked. We have a method to share wisdom and knowledge in this forum.

I have had the privilege of being on the ARKLA PAC for 17 years. Most of the members of the group have been on, off, and back on the council for years. The group is like family. I personally look forward to our meetings. I will admit that sometimes our meetings get a little silly late at night, but that is part of the fun.

I am currently the “Leader of the PAC” (cue the sound of a motorcycle and the music). :lol: :lol: I am also the Pathfinder Area Coordinator for Southern Arkansas/Northern Louisiana. My wife is the Adventurer Area Coordinator for the same area.

If you have any questions about our PAC, I will be happy to share.

Mr. Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:15 pm 
Master Guide

Thanks, Mike. I hope to hear from more of you. Even if Coordinators from the same conference have comments please post them.

Chris

Post subject: More good questions
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:15 pm 
Master Guide

Here are some more good questions:

bellenicci wrote:
I'm wondering if each Conference division has a Pathfinder Council (Consist of AC, DC and other important positions) that writes the constitution and by-laws, have an annual fee, makes the rules by which your entire conference clubs are run etc. If so how often does/should your council meet and how does your council promote a good continuous relationship with each club? How does the council get feedback on issues of concern and put into ACTION the necessary support system (financial and otherwise) in HELPING out where the need arises. For clubs that have lost confidence in the Council what actions can be taken to restore or better that relationship? Is there maybe a feedback form/survey that you can share as to what questions to use to survey all the clubs in an entire conference to help in rebuilding that relationship? Thanks

Thanks for the questions!

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:58 am 
Astute Guide

Our PAC has a set of by-laws that were approved by the Pathfinder/Adventurer Directors and Staff during a business meeting held on Leadership Weekend.
Any changes are also acted upon at the annual business meeting held on Leadership Weekend.

Most feedback takes place at Camporees, Honors Festivals, and Leadership Weekends, but mail, e-mail, and phone calls are welcome.

Mr. Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:16 pm 
New Friend

Chris and Mike,
The Texas Conference has a very active Pathfinder Council. Our council is made up of the Conference Youth Director, Conference Pathfinder Director, Conference Drillmaster, Conference Bible Bowl Coordinator, Conference Pathfinder Medical Director, Conference TLT Coordinator; Representative of the Texas Conference school teachers, Representative of the Texas Conference Pastors, English and Spanish Pathfinder Coordinators for each of the 5 areas in Texas, and their associates.

The responsibilities of the Pathfinder Council are to coordinate all Conference wide activities, such as Camporee, Bible Bowl, TLT Retreat, Leadership programs, etc... including any event or decision that affects the Conference wide Pathfinder program. We meet 4 times a year though on occasion we have met by tele-conference due to location and time constraints. Usually this is to address final touches on upcoming events.
It is the responsibility of the Pathfinder Council to schedule events, both area and conference wide events so they do not conflict. We have a January Council Meeting where we plan our Conference calendar for the next 18 months and each area brings their calendars to synchronize with
the Conference calendar as well as the Adventurer and Master Guide organizations in the conference.

We have a constitution that is closely followed. We have checks and balances written into the constitution so that the council does not become a rogue organization but rather a working, useful extension of the Youth Department of the Texas Conference. The qualifications, responsibilities and expectations for all the Council positions are spelled out in the constitution. The Conference Youth Director, as the paid conference employee has the last say on issues and expenditures but unless the decisions are drastically out of line they are usually approved.

With the exception of a few bumps, our council works very well together and is the reason for much of the growth in our conference over the last several years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:34 pm 
Astute Guide

Mr Gene,

Would you be the Pathfnder Director in Texas??

Mr Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:01 am 
New Friend

Correctomundo!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:05 pm 
Participating Companion

Hi Mr. Gene I was wondering when you were going to get on this forum. It needs more director type people. You guys have a lot of insight.

Lately I've been working on your brother's conference youth ministries website, hopefully everything is up and running soon.

- Karen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:58 pm 
Astute Guide

Mr Gene,

I agree, it is good to have you on the Forum.

Would you post the woodcraver's moto under the story section please :!:

I need a copy.

I have been reviewing the website. Nice work Karen :!:

For the record, I am not the brother, but there are people that mistake me for him because we both are tall, have grey hair, wear glasses, and we hang out where ARKLA Pathfinders are present.

Mr Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:58 am 
Participating Companion

Mr Mike - Actually I was referring to Mr. Gene's real brother. We both work for the same company just in different towns. I occasionally see him when I go to AR to work, we got started talking about websites while I was there.

- Karen

Post subject: Constitutions
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:47 am 
New Friend

My wife and I were Area Coordinators for the Greater Seattle Area in the Washington Conference. We recently resigned to begin local Adventurer and Pathfinder Clubs. (We don't have any close.) I would be interested in having copies of other Conferences Constitutions. Although we are no longer coordinators I still keep in touch and would love to be able to pass on some good information and ideas on how to do things better.

God Bless,

Clyde

cwp@verizon.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:58 pm 
Astute Guide

Clyde,
I will have to see if I can come up with an electronic copy of our by-laws and consitution. May take a while as things are a mess in our conference office with the Katrina mess right now. I will e-mail it to you when I have it.

Mr. Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:05 pm 
Astute Guide

Karen,

I knew you were talking about Granppa Lloyd and Mr Gene.
There are amazing people.
Both of them are unpaid Conference Pathfinder/Adventurer Directors.
I hang out most of the time with Lloyd, but I have spent time with Gene at various events.

Both Texas and ARKLA are so lucky to have these men working for their youth :!: :!:

Mr Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:45 pm 
Helpful Explorer

Mr Mike & Mr. Gene, could you possibly post your conferences' PF Constitutions and Bylaws somewhere or e-mail them to me? As far as I'm aware, we do not have them here in IL and I am interested in suggesting we adopt some, or find them if we have them. Our Youth Director and ACs work well together but it would probably be very helpful for us to have some set guidelines we can always refer to to keep us on track.

Thanks so much!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:48 pm 
Master Guide

Ms. Linda,

The NAD Pathfinder Club Constitution starts on page 42 of the staff manual. I know that is not exactly what you want but it, and the philosophy and objectives in the previous chapters should be the foundation of any conference constitution.

I would like to see what arkla is using though.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell