Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:01 pm 
Superlative Voyager

We were heading to Oshkosh, Wis. from Panama City, FL. It was going to be a long trip with 30 Pathfinders, 5 vehicles and 3 trailors in tow. We vowed not to lose each other(unlike last time), not to overspend, and not to take long bathroom breaks or lunch breaks. We planned our trip to a 'T'. We were to leave on Aug. 5th at 6:00am. We were to meet at the director's house at 5:00am. Some of the kids stayed the night and we packed as much luggage as possible the nite before, went shopping the nite before, and fixed lunches the nite before. All this so we would be able to leave ON TIME. I was the first to arrive at the director's house. No one was awake yet. It's 5:00am. I knock on the door, nothing. I call the house on my cell. I get an answer. It's my director. "I'm outside your door, you're supposed to be awake right now," I tell her. She answers, "Oh no! I forgot! Everyone get up!" I'm laughing as I hang up the phone and await outside her door for it to be opened. Upon opening, I enter, tell her to show me what needs to be done so she and the others can get their showers if needed. (Some didn't take them the nite before as planned.) As I was loading the sleeping bags into one of the trailors, The rest of the crew comes, with their luggage. So out comes all the sleeping bags, pillows, etc. Here comes the luggage, only to be taken out again after we discover we'll have to rearrange the trailor. Finally that's done. We're already behind schedule - it's 6:30am and no-one is ready. Time for a quick breakfast. This includes taking out some of the stuff from the chuck wagon where we stored the fruit and milk and cereal. By 7:00am we have finished breakfast and have repacked the chuck wagon. Now to fill the vehicles with gas. We have 2 drivers willing to do this. After about 30min. the vehicles are ready to go, hooked up to the trailors.
by 8:00am we have everyone in the assigned vehicle and buckled up. We're finally on our way out of town.

We make it as far as Dothan, AL. Just under 2 hours away. A tire goes flat. Time to change it at the nearest Wal-mart tire center. 2 hours later we have the tire changed, bought a spare, and have all the kids OUT of the Walmart and back into the cars. This is harder than it sounds. $150.00 spent out of our budget, we are back on the road. But wait! Before we can get out of city limits, someone has to use the potty! It never fails that when you tell kids to go before you leave, one never does. Ok, now we can go on with the story...

We're thinking we're not going to have anymore pitfalls come up. We're dead wrong. The other tire goes flat. Good thing we bought the spare...

16hours later we make it to our first overnite stop, Indianapolis, Indiana. In the morning we begin our way to our next stop, Chicago, IL, where we'll be staying over the Sabbath. So far so good. We make it.

Sabbath was beautiful for weather AND walking, as we walked to the church from where we stayed. It was about a 30min walk. Well, there's our exercise for the day. Sunday we made a trip to Six Flags and stayed overnite in a hotel in Racine, Wis. Monday we went to McDonald's and Burger King for lunch. Now we can finally make our way to Oshkosh. What was nice weather in Racine quickly turned cold and windy in Oshkosh.

We made it, finally, we made it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:25 pm 
Astute Guide

I bet that story was repeated by hundreds of clubs on the way to FOF.

Our story would be similar except we have learned not to start at 5:00 AM with our group.
Half of them would never make it at that hour.
We do well to meet by 7:30.

We were several hours late getting to our first over night stop in St. Louis as well.
Repeated the lateness getting into Battle Creek the next night (Friday).

Group enjoyed Battle Creek on Sabbath and Cereal City on Sunday.

Mr. Mike

Post subject: Adventist time
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:51 pm 
Master Guide

We have always just called it Adventist or Pathfinder time. That is your time zone plus 3 hours. Some of my best times are in the 45 minute late range; now I have taken to being the advance guy on campouts because I got tired of setting up in the dark EVERY time.

Its a blessing and a curse I am told.

Chris Fishell
XYRI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:42 pm 
Superlative Voyager

LOL so true! That pretty much sums our club up as far as time wise is concerned!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:46 pm 
Superlative Voyager

Did I mention that we also had to pay for repairs on a borrowed trailor? Our director, one of the drivers, was pulling this trailor behind her vehicle. We had to make yet another pit stop at a gas station to fuel up. I don't think she took into account that you need a wide berth when pulling trailors around obstacles. There were lots of eyes watching us as the trailor hits the guard posts of the gas pump...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:19 pm 
Astute Guide

We try to set times taking "Adventist time" into account.
We would not think of being late to work, but a church function is no problem.

Our clubhouse has a long access road to it. I have picked up a couple of Pathfinders on the access road on our way out of town. That group is a little better about being on time now. I would have done that more, but I hate to punish the Pathfinder when it is the parents that are the problem.

Mr. Mike