Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:31 am 
Participating Companion

Going to the Son Camporee, which was near Hungry Horse Montana, was mostly uneventful until our way home.

It was our first real outing on our new bus (a whole new club, too) and I towed a rented 32 foot travel trailer. On the way back, I had to pull Lookout Pass, and upon reaching the top, I pulled over to wait for the bus to catch up with me.

While waiting there, my truck suddenly started clattering loudly, and as soon as I started down the other side, it got incredibly loud.

The other side of the pass was longer than the uphill part, and I coasted a long ways. Finally contacting the bus on our radios, I told them I had a problem, and they pulled over at an overpass. I deduced that my torque converter flexplate had failed, and that I could not go on.

We loaded necessary bits and pieces in the bus, and I got AAA and a friend to help me get the truck and trailer moved. How my truck pulled that 6%+ grade with a broken flex plate isn't explainable by logic, I'm sure angels had to be helping. I had all 300 horsepower of my Cummins engaged on the way up.

The bus left us, when we had arranged for a place to stay and transportation. Just a short time later, my phone rang. The friend who came by to move my trailer had found the bus less than 5 miles down the road, with the lights inoperative.

Moving quickly to escape being caught in the dark, they found a local church which let them stay there, and they stayed overnight.

I got my truck fixed the next day, and the bus also continued homeward the next day. The day after that I got home with my repaired truck.

We wondered why things had to go wrong, as it was very stressful at the time. All we can believe is that the Lord allowed us to break where we did, where there were kind strangers to help, and I'm convinced that our travel was interrupted in such a way to prevent some serious catastrophe down the road that night. We had more than 6 hours of travel left, and it was 7 pm already.

No trip after that has had any serious problems, for which we are grateful. Angels truly do watch Pathfinder trips en masse, I am sure.

I was never a pathfinder as a kid.
I was at FOF in '04 and DTP in '99.
Wishing '09 to be in Heaven...Or Idaho.