Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:26 pm 
Skillful Ranger

We had a cmporee like that too, not much fun when you are trying to keep uniform clean :P

Central NH Flames

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:52 am 
Master Guide

hehe, I've had my share of "aweful weather" pathfinder campouts!!

But then I remember some really beautiful campouts, and several ones that God really protected us. Like Discover the Power International camporee and the tornado.. :idea:

I think most of the problems is that one of the clubs is named the Many Water's Pathfinder club. :? But they blame the conference path. director and call him Cheif waincloud. (raincloud) Because his name is Wayne. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:39 pm 
Superlative Voyager

We've had several horrid weather campouts, but then again, weve had tons of great weather campouts too. The kids remember the bad weather ones the best though. I would suggest talking to your Pastor about the Director and ask him to go with you to talk to her, maybe she doesn't realize how she is being precieved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:39 pm 
Participating Companion

Mitch wrote:
hehe, I've had my share of "aweful weather" pathfinder campouts!!

But then I remember some really beautiful campouts, and several ones that God really protected us. Like Discover the Power International camporee and the tornado.. :idea:

I think most of the problems is that one of the clubs is named the Many Water's Pathfinder club. :? But they blame the conference path. director and call him Cheif waincloud. (raincloud) Because his name is Wayne. :lol:

Yeah, well, in many years past, he was also known as Rayne Hicks... :), and I am sure it had something to do with the weather at PF Fair :)

Of course, he messed up a couple years back... we had SNOW last time we went to UCA for the fair :)

I was never a pathfinder as a kid.
I was at FOF in '04 and DTP in '99.
Wishing '09 to be in Heaven...Or Idaho.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:01 pm 
Participating Companion

Well, this story is a bit short, but it's about a campout that was...errr...short.

Every year we do a spring campout to kinda get everyone to have a bit of fun together, and a year ago, we were looking forward to a longish one on the Columbia River at Sand Station with ALL NEW TENTS (Mitch, I bet you know where Sand Station is... :) ).

But it wasn't to be.

Friday, I arrived a bit early, unpacked a pile of stuff, including a huge pile of firewood and stuff, and then finally the bus arrived with everyone in it. They all kinda hustled and hurried, and it got dark and cloudy, but only a few sprinkles.

I drove home friday night and came back in the morning (not very far to Weston, on the back roads ) bringing a few items that got left behind.

We did some stuff for our camping skills requirements, and then had our own Worship service for Sabbath, and all the units split up to do our "cooking, campout style" by the unit about 11 AM. Well, everyone started thier cooking projects and I was helping out the younger boy's unit, we'd JUST s tarted to dish up food, when some really dark clouds sort drifted over from the south rim of the hills at the edge of the river...

I decided to put my food down, and cover up some stuff that wasn't waterproof, and got that done, when the previously nearly calm air began to breeze up. Next thing, it's blowing pretty good and our law chairs are falling over. Suddenly, a gust came and I ran for the tent, barking orders at the other units to SECURE THOSE TENTS!!!!

They did, but it was useless. The rain suddenly started and the wind turned into a 50+ MPH SCREAM and in spite of the fact that 2 275lb counselors were standing on the stakes on the upwind side, it took our tent down. It took all 5 tents down. It flung food, sand, boxes, chairs, coolers, stoves, DISHES, pots and pans, coats, hats, and tables around.

Within 10 minutes we had grabbed our tents, rolled them up and stuffed them into the back of hte bus so they would not go away, all the while desperately trying to get everyone out of the incredibly painful rain.

And just as quickly as it came, it stopped, the clouds moved to the east toward Wallula, and the sun came out.

We pulled out our tents to set them back up, and not a single one could be set up. Some of them were ripped, ALL of them had poles bent or broken, we'd lost a bunch of stakes where they had been yanked instantly and ferociously out of hte ground. And almost everyone's food was contaminated with the sand driven horizontally across the campground.

Taking stock, we got all the staff together and it took less than 60 seconds to call it "done" and we all piled into the bus and vehicles and toted our soggy selves back to one of the staff's homes, where we spent the whole rest of the day, and most of Sunday, cleaning, inventorying, finding everyone's stuff, and doing laundry.

We had only enough poles for 2 tents, once we scavenged all the tents. One was damaged beyond repair. Costco replaced that tent and ALL the poles we needed. The manufacturer would not help us at all. Could not even provide us the parts we needed, not in stock, they said.

Every campout discussion in staff meetings includes the obligatory "Sand station" suggestion, to which we all groan... and have yet to return :)

I was never a pathfinder as a kid.
I was at FOF in '04 and DTP in '99.
Wishing '09 to be in Heaven...Or Idaho.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:30 pm 
Master Guide

M Koskenmaki wrote:
Every year we do a spring campout to kinda get everyone to have a bit of fun together, and a year ago, we were looking forward to a longish one on the Columbia River at Sand Station with ALL NEW TENTS (Mitch, I bet you know where Sand Station is... :) ).
The rain suddenly started and the wind turned into a 50+ MPH SCREAM

O yes, I heard a little bit about that! :wink: Thanks for telling us the whole story! That would be very crazy. :roll: I"m glad Costco was helpful with replacing the tents.

:D We had a hail/wind storm this year at my club's camping skills campout. We were camping at Pierces Green Valley RV park, near Wallowa Jct of the Columbia river. It was a beautiful Sabbath afternoon, and everyone was busy with exploring God's nature.

One of the girls units took a hike and were amazed at the bees working hard going in and out of there hives. On the way back to camp they discovered an interesting phenomenon. ALL of the bees were swarming back to the hives from EVERY direction! None were leaving at all. They arrived camp and were telling everybody at camp, when I noticed a dark menacing clouds coming over the hill. It had been a hot day and the sun was out. The clouds slowly engulfed the sun and we all watched in amazement.

We decided it would probably rain soon at that rate, so we took our chairs from around the camp fire and put them in our eating tent. Well it didn't rain, IT HAILED :!: The hail was lot bigger than peas too, I would guess about marble size. Then all of a sudden the wind picked up! We fastened down our big meeting tent and waited it out. Probably about 30-35 mph wind, so not too bad.

The good thing is that it went just as fast as it came. In about an hour it was sunny and we were able to watch a beautiful sunset :!: :smt007

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:01 pm 
Skillful Ranger

Mitch wrote:

M Koskenmaki wrote:
Yeah, well, in many years past, he was also known as Rayne Hicks... , and I am sure it had something to do with the weather at PF Fair

We had some similar experiences when we were up that direction, especially at one district jamboree -- it poured!! And the wind was really pushing our tent in. :shock: :P Though I was a lot younger, I do remember hearing something about that tendency of his. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:11 pm 
Astute Guide

We had a camporee several years back during a 9 inch rain. It started about dark and rained all night. The club from Bonnerdale, Arkansas sat in their tents and sang, "All my sins are washed away" over and over. It was a hoot.

Mr Mike