Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:36 pm 
New Friend

Our craziest story happened summer of 2003. It was a canoe trip to a lake called Lake Katcheese up near Snoqualmie Pass. Its a long narrow resevoir and we camped on the end on a nice sandy beach. The weather was really nice so most of us decided to sleep outside all except for one young Pathfinder who really didn't like the idea so we set up one 8 person tent. About 2 in the morning it started raining. It took a while to finally round up everyone from their sleeping places under logs and in shelves in the hill side. Its a good thing we rounded up everyone too because the rain turned into a full blown wind storm also. We ended up with about 15 girls and guys in the same tent, at the point it really didn't matter anymore where girls and guys were sleeping. It looked like a disaster shelter with a couple people assigning places to sleep and extra blankets. About 3 in the moring the tent decided to blow over. When the sun came up everyone was totally exhausted but our problems weren't quite over yet. The wind was still blowing and we had to paddle out, around two miles up wind. One of the canoes had a place to attatch a motor which our director had kindly left behind so he, myself, my little brother got into the canoe to padlde back along with a girl that might be able to call her dad who had a boat. Suprisingly we made good time, got the motor, got it started and headed back. We ended up tying all the canoes together with the motor canoe in the front and a strong paddler in each canoe (we had five). The best part was that my brother and I and a few friends were going to public school and the looks we got when the teachers asked us what we did for the weekend were priceless.

Post subject: Skunk spray...: )
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:10 am 
Master Guide

:lol: I got one for you Simeon.. that just happened to me last wednesday.

I GOT SPRAYED BY A SKUNK!!!!

Place: My barn
Mission: Hay for horses
Time of contact: 9:00pm

It happened last wednesday, after the pathfinder meeting. All I wanted was to hang the already made up hay nets. A couple Pathfinder kids that hadn't been picked up where helping me take down the hay nets off the fence that were empty. Thankfully they got of ok.. :) because there Grandma came just then. So that left me and only me to finish the mission!!

:o I opened the barn door, heard some rustling around the cat food dish. Did you know skunks like cat food :?: And walked in the door. Just then it hit me... :x SMELLY, WET, and very gross Skunk Spray!! I was hit manly in the upper body....arms, shoulders, neck, and FACE!! It didn't sting my eyes but it did sting my lips and I started tasting it in my MOUTH!!.. :oops:

To make a long story short... my Mom and Dad did some research on the internet and came up with a solution that worked from http://www.humboldt.edu/~wfw2/deodorize.shtml . It was 1 quart of 3% Hidgrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup of baking soda, and a teaspoon of liquid detergent. My Mom used laundry detergent. Washing with this concoction, letting sit 5 min. and repreating 3 times got rid of the smell. Except my mouth still tasted wierd but my saliva worked on that I guess. This morning I don't think I smell at all.... the barn on the other hand stinks like crazy still!!

According to that site Tomato Juice doesn't work.. :? But I sure had allot of people recomend it still!

So the moral of this true story... figure it out for yourself. Don't get in a skunks way!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:56 pm 
Helpful Explorer

:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm sorry I'm laughing so hard!!!! I can just imagine you getting sprayed!!!! At least you got it off!!! I probably would have used tomato juice!!! I'll have to keep that solution in mind in case a skunk decides to spray me!!! I have had some close encounters with skunks, but luckily they just kept walking and didn't bother me!!! *giggles!!!*

"Don't wait for the one you can live with, wait for the one you can't live without."