Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Memories
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:45 am 
Helpful Explorer

Over Christmas break, I bought myself some Play-doh. I wanted to make a stop-motion movie while I actually had some free time over break. The movie never happened, but lots of playing did! The sensation I had when I opened the first jar. Wow! What a feeling! I was transported back to my childhood. The smell, the feel, (and even the taste) brought back a flood of memories. It is amazing what simple things will bring back such vivid and intense memories.

All of this put me in a reflective mood (I recently played with them again) and I began to think of other things that brought back memories of my childhood. Lately I have been doing an awful lot thinking about pathfinders, so naturally I began thinking about when I was a pathfinder and what things bring back those memories.

Tent smell – brings back so many memories of playing chess and checkers in the tent while it is dumping rain outside

Chicken Noodle soup (vegi of course) – Memories of cold Friday nights, warming up with soup and a fire. This was our traditional Friday supper.

Ant poison – Not good at the time, but funny now. My last Southern Union Camporee that I went to as a pathfinder, us teen guys got a tent the junior boys had previously. We found candy wrappers on the floor. We cleaned it all out, but apparently not the smell. We woke up with tons of holes in the tent floor and ant bites all over us! After that, a generous amount of ant poison was spread about. Consequently, this past camporee, we took down lots of ant poison.

I will add more as I think of them. Add some of your own and share a story!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:19 am 
Astute Guide

oh man, i can think of lots of stories I could tell! I guess I will start with the one of where I was playing evasion at night. I was running along when I hit a small, but very solid and well planted in the ground, rock. The result was some momentary pain in my big toe, but seeing how I need to win, I decided to continue hobbling along with the rest of my group and ignore the pain (it really wasn't that bad). Afterwards, we all went into the cafeteria of where we were staying, at which point I finally removed my shoe to find the toe area of my sock drenched in blood! So to make a long story short, I took the front of my big toe off, but still had lots of fun!

Explorer Counselor
Master Guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:42 pm 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD
Last time I played evasion, I had a bushrag suit on. I have come to the conclusion that not being found is just as much fun, if not more so, as putting your chip in the bucket. I went out and hid along a side trail. The whole club had seen me put the suit on. Some of the members of the other team came along the trail and one asked, "What's that?" The other person answered, "Nothing. It's just a dead log." Then the began moving farther down the trail. As the left I heard one of them say, "I hope he doesn't jump out at us. I'll run screaming all the way back to my cabin. I was glad that they didn't sit on me. Later, when I told them that I was the "dead log," they were really shocked and frustrated that they hadn't caught me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:55 am 
Astute Guide

That's hilarious, VP! I would love to have seen their faces... (you should've jumped out at them just for saying that they hoped you didn't...)

"The union of all strengthens the work of each." ~Ellen G. White, 1SM 84.3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:20 am 
Astute Guide

nah, VP just looked like a pile of sea weed! he's just lucky that it was little kids and note somebody else... which brings me to my question, why didn't you scare them?!

Explorer Counselor
Master Guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:55 am 
Master Guide

I remember that night... If my memory serves me correctly... Those incidents both happened the same night... and was the same night that I smashed my face into a fence and lost my glasses... and the same night that wilderness, me and a couple others totally creamed the other team!!!

they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze”
Isaiah 43:1-3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:20 pm 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD
Those kids were in a teen unit at least. I would love to have done such. However, I am still enough into the game that I would pretty much ruined any chance that I would have had at accomplishing anything for my team. The screams would have been a great reward, but they would have sent people running towards them to, at least find out what was happening, if the didn't figure out that it was me. The only way I could have gotten away with scaring them and still doing anything for my team would have been to take off the bushrag suit after scaring them and hang it somewhere as a decoy. I didn't think that would fool anyone, so I decided to let them pass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:40 am 
Helpful Explorer

lol, whenever I see a dry stream bed I remember playing 'man-hunt'...There was this guy (the one who loves 'caching! :lol: ) who came around my area...there was a really, really, really light colored gravel streambed near me, and, lol, I kept on finding that place! soo.....whatdya do when you got a ninth grader after you??? I laid down in the streambed and put my hands over my head, and stayed in that position while the guys came nearer. I REALLY didn't wanna run cuz I was short, and they'd catch up...but when they came, they walked within 3 ft of me and thought I was a log! :shock: wow, :lol: , I didn't know I blend in nature that well!
There was another time I got a case of really bad poison ivy....but that ain't something I really want to remember! :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:33 pm 
Astute Guide

thats pretty funny wolfmoon! that is similar to one time that rider and I were playing and we had to lie down and cover up in leaves! on kid came up and literally touched the stick that was propped up against my foot, and then proceeded to keep going! oh the fun we had that night!

Explorer Counselor
Master Guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:03 am 
Helpful Explorer

That reminds me of a game that we used to play. For the life of me, I can't remember its name, but it goes like this... One person hides, everyone else scatters and begins looking for that one person. As people find them, they have to hide with them. Ultimately the last person to find the group becomes the next hider. One time I hid in a tree shadow (this was after dark, but a light was nearby). Everyone just lined up in the shadow. It was loads of fun because were were completely exposed, but it was hard to see us in the dark!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:07 am 
Master Guide

SARDINES!!!!!

I LOVE THAT GAME!!!!!

Yeah... it's a ton o' fun!

they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze”
Isaiah 43:1-3

Post subject: Re: Memories
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:22 pm 
New Friend

My club loves to play capture the glow stick after dark on club campouts. I usually dress in very dark clothing and then try to sneak up on the guards (they scream louder than the glow stick :D ). Several times kids have stepped on me as they run through the woods. It doesn't really hurt because the ground is very soft and I just sink in. The only time that it doesn't work is when one of the kids realizes that the log they just stepped on wasn't really a log. They usually start to apologise loudly and thus give themselves away as well as me. Oh well, it's just a game.

Post subject: Re: Memories
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:18 am 
Astute Guide

that sounds like lots of fun norcal! I think that just about everybody has been stepped on every now and then... and I do hate it when they start apologizing and giving up your position!

Explorer Counselor
Master Guide