Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 2:18 pm 
Skillful Ranger

Hi all.

This tip can be used for teaching honors as well, but I am placing it here in the classwork forum for now.

I've noticed that YouTube is getting more and more instructional videos uploaded by the day. There are many that are suitable for teaching specific topics to Pathfinders.

One issue with YouTube is always availability. Perhaps your club meets in a room without internet, or the video get removed or changed in some way just before you want to show it, which leaves you in a lurch.

Here is a tip - download the video to your Computer, and then you can Guarantee! it will be there when you need to teach.

I use Mozilla Firefox to browse YouTube for content. Firefox is capable of running "Addons".

There is an addon named "DownloadHelper" which is designed to help you download videos.

Once you have the DownloadHelper installed as an addon to Firefox, you can use it to make a copy of the video to your local hard drive on your computer.

Some videos download as MP4 file format which can be played with Windows Media Player. Others however download as FLV (flash) file format. This is also solvable, there are a few freeware FLV movie players out there. Just download one, and install it to your PC. I use once called "Applian FLV Player."

This tip is especially good for presentations etc. (church, investiture, classes, etc) When you can't afford the possibility of things not working, having the video on your computer in advance is a good way to be fully prepared.

Hope this helps.

Gerald

I recently showed my Friends some table manner cartoons which was a fun way to cover that topic.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:45 am 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD
This tip is great. The only thing I would add is that it is not as smooth when running an Apple computer. However, it is still doable.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:43 am 
Helpful Explorer

You can also download for free VLC media player which will play almost any type of movie clip camera movie file and files from you tube.

Fiordland wanderer
Invercargill
Home of the Fastest Indian