Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:21 pm 
New Friend

How many Pathfinder clubs operate in the absence of an Adventist school to provide the AY classwork? It's a chronic frustration for our club to try and include the classwork requirements. We have a small club, of varied ages and academic abilities, and none of the members are in Adventist schools. (Not an option for them, since there is not one in our area.) But they must interact and compete with two other clubs that operate out of church schools and do AY classwork there. I'd like to know how other clubs operate that do not have the advantage of an SDA school for their club members. Thanks for any comments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:06 am 
Astute Guide

There are a lot of clubs that operate without an SDA school to help with the progressive class work.
I unfortunately know of several clubs that have schools in the same church that receive little to no help from the school.

The real problem we have had with the non-SDA school children is the reading requirements.
If you get the required reading lists out early and even setup a small library to help with the books, the reading requirements can be met.

Mr. Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:58 pm 
Master Guide

Some time in the last 10 years my home church stopped doing many integrated things. The teachers at our school are not providing for AY at all any more and Gracelink has moved Sabbath School Department in a completely different direction of study than that found in the classwork. All I can do most days is sigh at it.

The current Pf Director wants SS to be more involved next year and is already making overtures to the SS Leaders (good for her); she has been stragic in both pointing out the need for my help and bringing it up to them while I am there (shang hi'd I think they call it) and I am happy to help, to be sure.

It is hard to complete the modern AY, it is worth trying to get the SS Leaders on board with at least covering Church Heritage and memory verses if you do not have a school. Also public schools cover some of the requirements as well. Physical fitness, physical exams, and sometimes reading if you use the Junior or Senior Book Club rather than the class book reading certificate. The rest is built into careful planning, scheduling and execution.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 6:08 am 
Astute Guide

I agree with Fish that the best chance at the progressive classwork is to plan, plan, plan.
Without a map and a schedule it would be very difficult to complete.

Mr. Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 12:52 pm 
Superlative Voyager

I have found that very few of our schools are doing the AY work and so it must be done during Pathfinders. I try to schedule the requirements into the years agenda so that I can see what must be done when. I have also found that by planning that way, it is easier to make it interesting and less like school work. and interestingly, many activities can mark off more than one requirement. Also, once you have completed one years plans, you can simply update them each year instead of starting from scratch.

Our conferance is also trying to help by providing the opprotunity to complete some requirements at the Camporee and Fair.

Chelly

Chelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 6:34 pm 
Master Guide

You are right on Chelly.
Now in fashion I am never sure seems humble; I would point out to all interested (again) that I have developed schedules for completing the classwork in a typical Pathfinder year (in the club) and charts that help leaders to see in one place what AY Honors their Pathfinders are comming into contact with in a typical year. Thay are at our website and free, for anyone having trouble "getting it all in," I would/do recommend at least downloading them and giving them thurough scrutiny. Doing this will help you to develop your own if you feel these do not work for you.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 2:19 pm 
Superlative Voyager

You know, I've been thinking a bit and some of the reading is hard to get done, for example, getting a single copy of the Happy Path shared to all the kids. Or the prolouge to Early Writings. So what we have done is incoporate reading those things to the kids for worships during meetings or at campouts or camp ins, or when ever we need a worship. We also include some of the long memory verses such as the 23 Psalm or the Lords Prayer into opening exercises, that way they are repeating them at least once each week.

Some of the requirements of our kids are being taught in public school classes, so if the parrents are paying attention to what the kids are doing for homework, some requirements can be covered in that manor. My 8th grader has had extencive drug and alcohol coverage, and she has been in sports all year, so has exercise schedule, and they do the Presidents challenge in our public schools here, so it is worth asking the kids about some of the stuff. We had one child earn his bicycling honor in his 5th grade class. We sent a copy of the requirements to the teacher and he signed off.

Hope this helps,

Chelly