Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:02 am 
New Friend

This is my first year becoming a new start Pathfinder Club director in our church.

What you usually you all do to seperate the kids to class, is that by the age or the grade? Some Pathfinders at our church have the same age but different grade some example like age 13 grade 6 other age 13 grade 8 or age 16 grade 10 and so on.

In our church we also have Adventurer Club which are seperated by grade (1-4) not by age.

What is the guideline? In the manual I only see Pathfinder start by age 10 or grade 5. Not really sure what is recommended.
Please help. Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:07 am 
Master Guide

Well... I suppose that isn't the most clear. But it is usually best to separate the kids by the groups that they are used to being in, which is usually grade. If there are kids that are 1 or 2 years apart, but spend their days in school together, they will usually be pretty close in ability level. We have found that grade is the best separator for Pathfinders...

anybody else?

they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze”
Isaiah 43:1-3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:59 am 
Helpful Explorer

Our club goes by grade as well. I think it is set up that way to be a little flexible. If you go by age, things change throughout the year, and by grade things stay the same. But sometimes a situation might arise where a child is older than his grade level. In that case depending on the person, situation, and the club, you might place the child in their age group rather than their grade. We did that last year.

Jonathan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:34 pm 
Astute Guide

Since your Adventurer Club goes by grade, it makes more sense to go by grade for Pathfinders as well. Personally, I think separating by grade is the better option.

A prime example for my reasoning: There is a boy in my Pathfinder club who started Pathfinders when he was a 10 y/o but was only in grade 4, and it has been perfectly fine up until this year. Now, however, he is 14 years old and working on Voyager, but is still in 8th grade (most Voyagers are in 9th grade). The problem: All the others in the Voyager class are also TLTs. In order to be a TLT you must be in grade 9. Said boy is a Voyager, but not in 9th grade, so cannot be a TLT. Thus, when everyone else in his rank are working on TLT stuff, he is stuck by himself working on classwork because he can't be a TLT yet.

The Pathfinder program in general, but especially the TLT program, are built to go by grade. The TLT program is designed to take the older Pathfinder through the highschool years. It is also designed to be started when a Pathfinder begins work on the Voyager rank. It makes the most sense, then, that a 9th grader should be working on Voyager and those working on Voyager should be in 9th grade. At the very leas the requirements for TLT should be changed. Either to "Age 14 or in 9th grade" or "Be working on Voyager" (since both are the same).

"The union of all strengthens the work of each." ~Ellen G. White, 1SM 84.3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:10 pm 
Helpful Explorer

Definitely by grade. Since I'm an early bloomer, I'm about two years younger for my grade--which sometimes causes difficulty. Doing it by grade is an easier way to separate groups. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:48 pm 
Master Guide

I have seen it done both ways and it works better in nearly every case to put kids with their grade. Often they go to school together and SS together so it is not awkward for them to be with the younger or older group, it simply the people they are always with. For grade 9+ we usually double up, that is for 9&10 they are the "younger Teens" and for 11 & 12 they are not in a unit except to do class work together. They are 99% of the time staff members preparing for being full staff members very soon. They "younger" teens are together about 30-50% of the time and the rest they are fulfilling roles as Associate Staff members throughout the club. Today we call this TLT, and they frame work there is a good one. This also governs sleeping arrangements of campouts and trips so remember units are not coed but classes can be.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:43 pm 
Participating Companion

I may be mistaken, but I think all Gulf States Conference clubs goes by grade. One other reason, and this affects most of our conference church schools, is that a lot of our schools are separated with one classroom being grades 1-4 and another classroom being 5-8. So if you have a 4th grader who is 10, the teacher has to make allowances for that Pathfinder when absent from school due to Pathfinder trips. Our club is made up of kids from church school, public schools, other private schools, and home schools. So for that diversity, it really works best for our group to go by grade level.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:57 am 
New Friend

Yes, grade is the best method!