Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Should there be a book for handicapped persons?
Yes. they should get something on their level. 56%  56%  [ 5 ]
No, they should still attempt another to do the work. 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
I'm not sure of what can be done. 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 9
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:17 pm 
New Friend

Who happen to not be on the same level as all the rest. So far it has come to my attention that there are people in the club that are mentally disabled and what not. Not all of these people cn really complete the book. Is it possible for someone to create a book based off of the originals that is slightly easier for those with disabilities to handle.

For example my brother is in the club. When he was being helped it was very difficult because everyone else was on a faster pace than him. Mind you he is in the club and knows the basic functions of it :drilling, motto, pledage law etc.. When it comes to work it just aggravates him though. When he went to get his book checked all we had to say was that he was autistic and then they just passed him because of it.

Is this really fair? I want him to actually do something he'll remember and that won't overload him. I was thinking of just personally reconfiguring all my brother's books into a simpler format for him to do. :cry:

Post subject: A new book...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:21 pm 
New Friend

I'm really fearful that this board is dying. I'd like an honest opinion on this issue. i'm not an adult so if whatever I say may seem crude or tactless i'm sorry in that matter. This is an important issue. You do not want to keep any sect out of the pathfinder group. But one must also take into consideration what else this brings up. It is a sticky situation if we compare it to the school system. But there is a way. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:47 pm 
Master Guide

The problem with creating a new set of requirements for handicapped people is that each handicapped person is very different from the next. This would make it next to impossible to come up with a single curriculum that would work for even a smallish percentage of the handicapped population in PFs.

I think it's a great idea to create a curriculum for a particular handicapped person, as long as it is tailored to that person's abilities. This is exactly what the counselor should be doing, and apparently is doing for your brother. You, however are in a much better position to understand what he can and cannot do, so that really makes you the ideal person to create his curriculum. I would urge you to talk to his counselor or your director first though. They should be happy to work with you on this.

Last edited by jomegat on Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:20 pm 
Site Admin

I agree with jomegat. In fact, as you make those advances, post them on the board and others with similar issues may add suggestions to how they've done it differently to match THEIR handicapped person(s)' need.

I don't anticipate an edition being published NAD/Division wide.....

Many kudos for your individualized work with your brother. Thanks for desiring something meaningful for him and not just "passing him on" through the classwork! He is too valuable for that!

Mark O'Ffill

P.S. Several of us check the board each day, and it looks like you just posted this message today???! Give us as a community a couple of days on questions.... Unlike some forums with MILLIONS of members, there are only a few hundred on this forum. We do work as a community to post responses ASAP, but that may mean a couple of days.

Thanks for posting, I hope these and further answers/responses are helpful in your quest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:52 pm 
Master Guide

There have been other discussions on the board about accommodating members with various handicaps.

Autism is becoming more diagnosed in young kids today, it is also known now that the depth and severity of detachment or learning/social handicap associated with it various across the spectrum form super normal to completely disconnected. With that in mind and an understanding,of what has been stated already, there are various needs for individuals including those with a wide array of physical and mental conditions that take them out of average it is impossible to make a single path that meets all of those needs.

It is not impracticable to deal with the problem you face though. First (many people do not like this option as they see it as some how demeaning) reducing your brother to an AJY Class that will fit his level of development may be feasible. This may be Advanced Helping Hand or another lower level. You will find other discussion about this very idea within the forum.

Second with the assistance of you or a parent or even his school teacher, the club's staff and the Sabbath School staff of the church may be able to develop a curriculum that fits the same categories but is tailored to his personal learning style and current level, again though this might better be accomplished in a lower level AJY level than his age would normally dictate.

In doing what is best for a person ego must be set aside, by all. This means teachers must adjust and students must make efforts to learn. It also means that loved one's so carefully guarding the person must accept the real needs of the individual based on mental ability, level of current development and physical ability. This can be very hard for a person close to anyone who is handicapped. The desire to see a loved one mesh seamlessly with age peers and societies average norms can overtake the better needs of the person.

Many people both physically and mentally handicap have overcome those matters completely through being focused on where they are now and how to get to where they want to be not by being focused on being equal without fail. I know nothing about your personal situation, you or your brother. I do not know just where you two will fit into what I have written and that is why it is written this way,, it is for everyone who has needs like your own. And please, as Pathfinders has asked do keep us informed of your progress here, you may be a help to many others. Also, if there are specific questions that arise about specific problems you and they can not overcome in finding a reasonable alternative post it here or email and admin, the knowledge here is not God like, but with God's help and a broader search for answers you might find what you need.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International

P.S. Do not worry about tact, I rarely use it myself.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:44 pm 
Site Admin

Chris,

Well said.

There are five of us who share admin (see links on the "moderators" listed next to each sub-forum. I think that is what chris is referring to as admin.

There are hundreds of members of this forum who also will be of every assistance possible.... specific questions typically work best :lol:

God bless your continued ministry work!

Mark O'Ffill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:31 am 
Participating Companion

In one of the Basic Training classes that I attended a lot of years ago, it was mentioned what the others have said. Adapt your classwork to fit those who have difficulty or who are disabled.

We had a child in our club who was dislexic, so a lot of writing was a major disadvantage to him. He did most everything verbally. Another that we had also had trouble writing things out but was a whiz on the computer, so where we could, his work was accepted on printed pages or via email. And again some questions were presented to him verbally to corroborate what was typed out.

One of the other requirements for every class is the Physical Fitness test. Leaders in our club have said that you only need to show improvement over what you were able to do the last time, for those that we know just are not capable of achieving the numbers suggested for the age of the child. This is a challenge especially in the US today where a lot of kids just are not physically fit. But they should at least attempt it.

If everything in Pathfinders was just a checklist, the kids would not keep interest. Make it interesting for each of the kids, including the ones who have obvious challenges.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:08 pm 
Master Guide

Cammy45341,

Has your group made any progress in adapting for your brother?

I am sure we here are all interested in how things are working out.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International