Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:24 pm 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD
A lot has happend on this strand since I was last here! Thanks everyone for your openness about ideas!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:18 am 
Master Guide

A "little" report on my conference's fair and my club's drill teams. Enjoy and please steal some ideas if you like them:

Upper Columbia Conference had a wonderful, spiritual, and wet fair weekend. :D It rained and rained Sabbath and Friday Night after setting up camp, thankful. We were at the UCA (Upper Columbia Academy) campus so we had plenty of indoor options, and meeting areas even with 800+ pathfinders. On Sunday, we had beautiful weather for the Drilling and Marching. Our Basic Drill Team pulled off a first place with 11 y/o drill master. My conference has 1st, 2nd, & 3rd places for everyone according to the scores they get.

:arrow: The freestyle team got the best score from our conference. How? :? We marched out the story of Gideon. It was very funny and a crowd pleaser. We had 18 costumed kids in the team. The drill master called fall in, and said "Anyone that's afraid fall out and go home!" It was funny. Now we had the freestyle team with the basic team helping. We then did split to the banks which put them in one line. Then they drinked and the basic team went on their knees. They were eliminated to just our freestyle team of 6. We did some fancy maneuvers which the MC (conference pathfinder director Wayne Hicks) said would be sure to confuse the Midionites! We surrounded an imaginary camp and had torches and horns to make it realistic, saluted the judges and fell out.

We ended up going over 3 minutes we got penalized a bit for that but our story line was great, and our 14 y/o drill master did awesome. The freestyle is judged "Olympic" style in that their are 9 judges that hold up numbers. They judge on technical, and artistic merit. The lowest and highest scores are thrown out. Our team got all 9s on technical which was a surprise, and one 8 and the rest 9s on artistic. Which is still a perfect scoring because of the lowest one being thrown out!

It was definitely fun, and a crowd pleaser!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:21 pm 
Master Guide

That is really cool! I don't know if I would be willing to try and act out a Bible story while drilling though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:58 am 
Master Guide

You're doing drill this year... go for it!!! :lol:

they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze”
Isaiah 43:1-3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:04 pm 
Master Guide

Maybe. I'll put it past the team first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:12 pm 
Master Guide

What ever you do make it unique. If the kids really see something awesome in it they will practice all the harder and your team will do good. Let the kids use their creativity. Use your skill to guide them, and it'll be a great time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:30 pm 
Master Guide

So far, I am only doing one rotine this year with my team. It is the event with all of the required moves. My team started off really motivated, but sometimes they are late to practices, don't show up, or seem uninteristed. I have not been able to get enough time with the team and to myself to get a routine for the freestyle event.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:00 am 
New Friend

This year for our freestyle drill team we (Mitch and I) did the story of Jonah. We had a boat (a stretcher), a fish (that 4 kids could march in, and swallow Jonah), and some crazy string(for the fishes blow hole and barf ps. available at your local Wal-Mart).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:25 am 
Master Guide

I'll stick with the precision marching. I am not that good at combining Bible Stories into a routine.

Post subject: Re: Drill
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:57 pm 
It would be fun to do drill games/Bible storys.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:29 am 
Master Guide

My club this year continued the tradition of bible story marching. We had some old wooden stilts that had just been sitting around. We decided to incorporate them into our freestyle marching team this year. We marched out the story of the 12 spies that spied out the land of Canaan. My mom and I were the giants in the land on stilts. We had a pole with purple balloons tied together for the giant grapes the spies found. It was pretty good, I think the audience enjoyed it. We all felt we could have spent more time, as always with refining it. But we got a good score, and the pathfinders that participated enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:06 pm 
Astute Guide

Now that is a cool idea! I never heard of anyone doing a Bible story with drilling and marching!

"The union of all strengthens the work of each." ~Ellen G. White, 1SM 84.3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:18 pm 
It is so cool what people come up with to make things more fun! I want to try lots of stuff!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:34 pm 
Master Guide

Our club is finally going to get started on drill this next week. I need a little help from you all. What are things that keep you interested in March & Drill?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:01 pm 
Participating Companion

In my old pathfinders we played a game like Simon says. Except it is Drill Instructor says. It is really complex where they name drill moves and who ever messes up is out. Than whoever wins may get a prize or a slap on the back. I really liked it.

That was back in Bermuda now I live in Alabama and we do the same thing except we often don't get prizes. Btu is ok though because it is a good sport.

I am a 14 year old Guide TLT. I pretty much like reading, writing, playing video games, and surfing the net.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:36 pm 
Helpful Explorer

I believe that what you're talking about is called a drill down. We have them at our club all the time

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:37 pm 
Participating Companion

hmmmmm your probably right we didn't have an official name for it. It's pretty fun though. Any other drill games you guys play?

I am a 14 year old Guide TLT. I pretty much like reading, writing, playing video games, and surfing the net.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:41 pm 
Helpful Explorer

No, but we do some fancy moves, like "flashing starburst", and we're practicing a new move to a song.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:57 pm 
Participating Companion

Yeah we pretty much do basic drilling but we really haven't been doing complex drilling. Some of the older ones (including me) are but the younger ones. We don't know if they can handle it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:02 pm 
Helpful Explorer

Do you do Columns and Flanks? Those are the meat and potatoes of some of our moves. There is one move that is entirely left and right flanks, and to-the-rears.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:04 pm 
Participating Companion

David wrote:
Do you do Columns and Flanks? Those are the meat and potatoes of some of our moves. There is one move that is entirely left and right flanks, and to-the-rears.

Oh yeah we definately do that. Basic drill includes to the rears and column and flanks. What conference are you in or pathfinders group. If you don't mind telling we might be familiar with your group.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:07 pm 
Helpful Explorer

Northern New England. We're known as the (totally awesome, cool, super(duper), intellegent, good looking) Central NH Flames.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:08 pm 
Participating Companion

Northern New England... hmm that is kind of far off were in Alabama. The Birmingham Highrisers....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:40 pm 
Helpful Explorer

I like some of these ideas. I am the drill instructor (i'm only 17 years though and working on my MG) for my club and this was the year the club decided to start a fancy drill team. We arent really good because I dont think anyone in the history of the club has done the drilling and marching honor till this year (the drill team just finished two weeks ago! yay!! but we have to work on columns more... they're hard for the group... especially for the 'friend' who cant remember her lefts and rights!) Anyways, I am working on putting a routine together... and I had a question. What would you suggest for a first-year team?

Jeremiah 29:11

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:44 pm 
Master Guide

I would suggest working on uniformity. A team that is completely together looks awesome. You can try circle the circle. A move I rarely ever see is open & close ranks. It all depends on the parameters for the event you are participating in.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next