Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:28 am 
New Friend

I joined as a TLT in the Oregon conference in January of '07.
I soon found out that being a TLT is not for wimps! lol
Now when I'm at church I get a bunch of shadows following me all over the place! A lot of the pathfinder (and non-pathfinder) boys have looked to me as a big brother, and when there's a fight or dispute, what do I hear? "Daniel! Daniel! We need you again!" They usually call me in for help, or advice. It's nice that I can work with them and steer everybody back on track, and I get a good feeling about it.

Now the girls on the other hand, they're impossible! Half of my club is pre-teen girls. And they don't give a care to anything I say! I have a lot of trouble as the drill instructor, and the only TLT in my club. *sigh* It never ends...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:39 am 
Participating Companion

Same for me, exept that it's the girls that follow me and most of the boys don't.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:09 pm 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD
As a recent graduate of the TLT program, I can promise you that this is normal. I often found that I worked much better with the juniors than with any of my club's teens. Part of this is an age difference. For the younger children, you now have the ability to do more than as just another Pathfinder. For the older children, you have just been granted more freedom. You aren't much older than them, so why should they listen to you. That is generally how my club's Pathfinders viewed me as a TLT.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:50 pm 
Astute Guide

The hardest part about being a TLT is the fact that you are leading your peers... who do NOT feel like they need to listen to you. Eventually it gets better. Especially as you start leading out in more things and taking more charge, then the kids know that you're really serious and they start listening to you better. This year I've been given a lot more roles where I have to take charge, get things done, lead the other TLTs, lead the Pathfinders in various activities, etc. Now that I'm doing a lot more of the kinds of things that the kids can see me doing, they are starting to give me a bit more respect and listening better.

Oddly, the 7th grade & up boys are the ones that listen to me the best.

"The union of all strengthens the work of each." ~Ellen G. White, 1SM 84.3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:49 pm 
Participating Companion

I sort of feel the same why you all guys do except it is a different situation. I am a first year tlt there are like 3 guys in my pathfinders and were all cool and most of them are tlts except for my brother. Naturally my brother doesn't listen to me. Than most of the girls are pre teens and they don't listen to me and it is sort of a pain... I am working on it but it gets quite frustrating.

They listen to the other tlts because they scare them and one's their drill instructor so they don't want to march.

We went to Camp Alamisco (gulf states in Alabama) that is where I got indicted which is pretty cool. Any tips for handling girls without going off? I wanted to do that and I could but my Mom keeps on telling me to "be the bigger person" so I did. Any tips?

I am a 14 year old Guide TLT. I pretty much like reading, writing, playing video games, and surfing the net.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:52 pm 
Astute Guide

Often a young TLT feels awkward when trying to be "in charge" of kids that are almost their same age. They want to still be friends, but at the same time exercise authority. How do you do that?

The main thing that I've learned from being a TLT myself (I'm in my 4th year) and watching other TLTs going through the program: BE CONFIDENT!!! At times when you need to exercise authority, you need to do it with confidence. Be assertive. Even if you feel insecure, you can't show it. They will be able to tell instantly and will focus on that rather than what you're trying to teach them. Know what you're doing before-hand, and follow through with certainty. Keep a staff member or a couple older TLTs close by for backup. If trouble starts, keep a calm voice above all.

Know when to be "friendly" and when it's time to be authoritative, and make the definition clear (to yourself and the Pathfinders).

"The union of all strengthens the work of each." ~Ellen G. White, 1SM 84.3