Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 576 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:28 pm 
Helpful Explorer

What!!!!!!!! GLAA won't allow an on campus Pathfinder Club! That's ridiculous. At Oshkosh I remember seeing the Wisconsin Academy Pathfinder Club. It was an academy club! Sorry, it just kind of upsets me. I didn't go to academy but only one semester, but my wife graduated from Thunderbird in Arizona. She said that I need to understand that there are a lot of activities already present at academies, and that it is important for students to get involved in the "school spirit".

I say forget it, if someone wants to start a Pathfinder club on campus let them. If the students get involved in too many of the on campus programs just limit the amount of involvement. For instance, you can't be in band, corale, choir, drama, Pathfinders and gymnastics all at the same time and expect to do well in school. It's impossible! Just because there are too many on campus activities doesn't mean that Pathfinders has to be excluded. The real challenge is in finding a good leader.

Miguel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:30 pm 
Helpful Explorer

Just curious, what are the Cedar Chips? Thanks,

Miguel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:00 am 
Participating Companion

The Cedar Chips are the Pathfinder club of the church across the street from GLAA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:55 am 
Helpful Explorer

Ya it is sad. I'm gonna miss them a lot too. This weekend was the area campout but our group didn't get invited and we are in the confrence. We didn't get invited to the fair either. So my mom is getting tired of it and is thinking of dropping out of the confrence. I feel so sorry for everyone that went to the campout this weekend. Last night was a big hail storm and it has been a big rain storm all today and susposdially snow tomarrow and tonight so ya. That is what always happen on a area campout for pathfinders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:04 pm 
New Friend

Man, it seems everyone has done TLT except for me and my club. My club is kind of like the club never really does anything. We don't even have a master guide in our club. I think it is probably due to the fact that our director didn't have much help. Thats changing though. How does TLT work any way? What is it? Im 18, am I too old, and if not, is it worth it to get invovled this late in the game?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 2:53 pm 
Helpful Explorer

Well a TLT starts like in your 5/4th year of pathfinders(15yrs old) Then you can progress to like counsler and deputy director etc. Next year I'll be a counsler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 3:54 pm 
New Friend

Cool. Next year i'll be a counselor too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 5:49 pm 
Helpful Explorer

Cool. I can't wait. I just hope everyone listens to me better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:35 am 
Master Guide

The secret to "being listened to" is to EXPECT to be listened to. Project authority. Do not ask kids to do something in a way that makes them think it's optional. You can still be polite when doing this, and that's important too. Here are some examples:

WEAK: Do you think you could go to the closet and get four coils of rope?
BETTER: Go to the closet and get four coils of rope, please.

When requesting assistance, it also helps a lot if the person (or people) you are asking KNOW that you are addressing them:

WEAK: Would someone please go to the closet and get four coils of rope?
BETTER: Wanda, please go to the closet and get four coils of rope.

Pay attention to the tone of voice you use too. Don't use a begging, pleading voice. Instead, speak clearly and say it like you mean it.

It seems to work for me anyhow...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 1:33 pm 
New Friend

Hi, my name is Christina and I'm 19. I've been in Pathfinders since I was about 10. I'm from Washington state. I was just reading everyone's posts about teens leaving the clubs. I think there's a lot of reasons for that. I think it has a lot to do with lack of teen support from the clubs. I'm one of those teens who force the leaders to let me be involved but most kids aren't like that.

It seems to me that a lot of clubs don't keep up a program to involve their teens in leadership and just teen activities. The support of the church is major in that area too. I think when the church isn't involved with the club and keeping the teens involved through that support then it makes it a lot harder for the clubs to keep their teens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 3:19 pm 
Helpful Explorer

Ya thanks. I have most of the kids listening to me except for one new girl who just joined. And she doesn't listen to me because her grandma doesn't approve of me(I don't know why everyone else likes me), and says bad things about me. And also she doesn't think she has to listen to me because I don't know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:11 pm 
New Friend

hey, just a little advice on dealing with people who don't aprove of you and stuff, that happened to me a couple of years ago with a pastor who actually didn't even know me but someone told him i was mean to their kid and the lady happened to be some sort of cousin or something. The guy kind of looked down on me until he really got to know me. i don't know why this grandma doesn't like you but maybe you should talk to them and figure it out. you'll be glad you did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 5:46 pm 
Helpful Explorer

Ya I don't know. My mom said something like she thinks I beat my mom because when i was a little kid I'd used to hit my mom back when I got whipped but that was like when I was four, but I don't really know. My mom doesn't like that she doesn't approve of me either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 6:24 pm 
Master Guide

Cal,

The only proper way to deal with this is the hardest. It is the one outlined in the Church Manual and the most difficult of tasks - personal confrontation. Not in an aggressive manor of course; if a person takes issue with another in the church and speaks about them behind their back they have foresaken doctrine.

You, with your mom (and I would recommend an Elder or Deacon) should arrange a meating with this lady and let her spell out her problems to your face and then discuss them. There may be some validity in her concern because of misunderstood experience of other hearsay and until it is put to rest it will follow you. Indeed it is possible that such unrest could be a serious difficulty for you as you grow in working within in your church wether with youth or in other areas. One on one is the first step Paul gave us and so the first step the General Session has given us, but as this issue is between you and a senior member of the church she may be reluctant to treat you as one would hope in this effort and your youth may also get the better of you if she is reluctant or aggressive so to avoid setting either of you up to make the issue worse I recommend the first meeting be inclusive of an Elder. Paul warned Timothy against such issues between himself and Elders, it is difficult, at times, to establish a ground on which respectful discussion is accomplished so you need to make every effort to start with.

I like to drop in and read what you guys are discussing here. I do not often comment and will not; from time to time I will. I do now because I have first, second, and third-hand experience with just this sort of issue and although as peers you will help eachother through many issues, experience does open an occasional door.

You guys and gals are great and I think it is cool you are dedicated enough to be here. Keep it up.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 6:29 pm 
Helpful Explorer

Thanks. When I got baptized my pastor came to my house and we discussed this with him and said he would talk to her, but she still hasn't changed. I always try to be nice to her, because I don't like it when people don't like me. She also doesn't approve that two of my best friends are boys, and her grandaughter likes them. So I don't know but I will try to talk to her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:27 pm 
Master Guide

"You can't please all the people, all the time." You do the Christian thing, and keep your faith and prayers strong. Your example will be worthy and the Holy Spirit will work on the hearts of others.

I will pray for you.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 6:14 pm 
Helpful Explorer

Thanks I'll need it. And I will try my best

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:17 am 
Master Guide

:) I'll be pray'n for u too!!

I'm going to be a councelor next year!! I think it is a big responsibility :o

:arrow: GOD HELPS US EVERY DAY!!

:wink: Good to know I"m not the only one that has problems with kids listening to me sometimes.

I'm looking forward to going to our Conference's Leadership retreat. They have a special program for Councelors called THE WEIRDEST CLASS! We get to sleap up in wood heated cowboy camp cabins and spend all weekend with experienced pathfinder councelors. Basicly being "kids" to those councelors! I have several friends that took it and had a blast :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:25 pm 
Helpful Explorer

Ya I'm glad too hehe. I like kids and kids normally like me but not these ones. I want to be a elementary school teacher when I get older so ya. That sounds fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:24 pm 
Participating Companion

i dont get why that lady doesnt like you. but just try to get to kno the kids and just stand there and look at them :shock: till the do what they are supposed the do and dont give em an option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:47 pm 
Helpful Explorer

I think she is starting to like me better, and so is the girl. We went canoeing and they went with us, and she saw how I acted and now is treating me better. And the girl I told her that she can help me next year as long as she is good. she likes that, so now she listens to me to my relief. Thanks you guys you gave me a bunch of ideas.

Post subject: hi
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:49 pm 
Participating Companion

i am glad they decided to like you. :D

so anything else want to talk about or any problem? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:48 am 
Helpful Explorer

I havn't bee having any problems. So what do you like to do?

Post subject: hi
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:07 pm 
Participating Companion

i like to do gymnastics. but i usually do it in school so i am gonna take a class so it should be fun.
what do you like to do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:15 pm 
Helpful Explorer

Cool. I like to go backpacking, caving, rapeling, swimming, and hockey.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 576 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next