Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: When to wear uniform ?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:36 am 
Skillful Ranger

This is what I found in the NAD Staff Manual...(somewhat summarized)

SHOULD BE WORN:

A: AY Meetings
B: Pathfinder Meetings
C: Special PF programs
D: Investiture service
E: Public gatherings when acting as Messengers, Ushers, honour guard, first aid, colour guard.
F: When directed by PF staff officers
G: When doing missionary work, outreach of various types.

SHOULD NOT BE WORN

A: by a non member
B: for Work or play
C: for any activity for personal or political gain
D: Anyplace that would cheapen and lower the image of the uniform and the clubs.

So based on this I have worn mine for the past few years to the Rememberance Day ceremony locally (where the local club usually also attends in uniform and lays a wreath). My role however is to act as bugler for the ceremony. Under Item E: a public place where acting as an hoour guard.

I've felt this is both an appropriate time and place to wear it, but as well, I often field questions about Pathfinders for a few weeks after by people who also attended the ceremony. I think wearing it there is an opportunity to share my faith as well.

Tommorow I will be playing taps for the funeral of a US vet, and I've been doing some reasearch on proper procedure for playing taps. I found an organization called Bugles Across America, which is dedicated to providing live Taps for the funerals of as many vets as they can. (There are approx 1,800 WWII vets a day needing this service).

I'd consider the possibility of volunteering for this as well. So I read some FAQ about the group, and found a person asking if it's approprate attire to wear his boy scout uniform to volunteer to play taps at a funeral.

The reply was "The proper wearing of whatever uniform a person may be authorized to don is the greatest respect that can be given to a veteran!"

I just wanted to post in here to ask if any pathfinder leaders have opinions and comments on this subject.

I think I would ask the family before wearing it to confirm, but it seems to me that this type of volunteer work would be considered either an honour guard type of duty, or a missionary activity.

Thanks for your comments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:46 am 
Astute Guide

I think it's great that you can witness by wearing your uniform for public events like that! We don't do much of that where I live...

I heard a story once about a pathfinder "higher-up" (can't remember who it was) that went to a restaurant (Valentino's, maybe?) and they refused to accept payment from him because they thought he was a vet. They made this big fuss over it and he figured it would be better for him to just accept it than to embarrass them at that point, because they would have been highly embarrassed! It was so hilarious!

"The union of all strengthens the work of each." ~Ellen G. White, 1SM 84.3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:21 am 
Skillful Ranger

Thank for the reply tuningpeg.

I've also noticed that the uniform certainly attracts attention etc. My wife and I ran into a grocery store to buy some lunch items for the club one day. We were in full class A.

We had clerks jumping around to help us find the buns, and almost placing the items into our baskets for us. No one offered us our groceries free, however. :-)

That brings up an interesting point. You only have one chance to make a good first impression. Before Christmas, I tried to return a cell phone to a store. (we had not opened or activated the phone), but I first stopped at the store in the evening wearing jeans, and T or something very casual. The staff could not return the phone becaused they were not authorized to accept a phone back which had been purchased more than 10 days previous, so I had to come in and speak with the manager.

The next day, I made a point of wearing a suit to the office, and when I went over to see the store manager, she was very happy to accept back the unused phone even past the ten days.

It is unfortunate that people treat other people differently based on appearances alone. Good thing we have a God who does not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:31 am 
Astute Guide

Yeah, I agree 100%. That's another reason to be "in the world, but not of the world"...

"The union of all strengthens the work of each." ~Ellen G. White, 1SM 84.3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 am 
Skillful Ranger

No other comments on wearing the uniform for this service ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:17 am 
Master Guide

Sorry, been absent.

Having served in a variety of uniforms in my life I find no greater disrepect than not wearing one. It is a common practice of the execs in our county Sheriff's Office not to wear their uniforms to officer's funerals. Every cop I know finds it offensive that they do not.

You attending such an event in uniform is an acceptable and respectful way to attend.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:10 am 
Skillful Ranger

Thanks for the note Fish, I just saw it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:43 pm 
Astute Guide

Pathfinders is meant to be to the glory of God. While pathfinders teaches many necessary life skills, it is also meant to be an outreach in as many ways as possible. So my thought is if you are reaching out and glorifying God through your service, and that service includes wearing your uniform, GO FOR IT!!! :) Keep up the good work!

Explorer Counselor
Master Guide