Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Advanced Class Ribbon
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:22 pm 
Master Guide

I have a Pathfinder who earned Advanced Class Ranger last year, and Standard Class Voyager this year. Where does the Advanced Ranger Class ribbon go? Does it stay on the shirt with the Voyager stripe, or does it follow the Ranger stripe to the sash?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:02 am 
Master Guide

Like the Class Level Pins the Advanced Class Level Ribbons you earn will remain on your shirt with your Pathfinder Good Conduct Ribbon (shoud one have it).

Only the Chevron and Class Strip move with ongoing years. It is still common practice to some to "stack" Chevrons as Pathfinders advance. This was the general practice until (not sure) maybe the 1991 Staff Manual came out.

fish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:19 am 
Master Guide

Thanks Fish,

I just checked the pdf on pathfindersonline, and as you said, the Advanced Class ribbons stay on the shirt. But they show multiple chevrons on the shirt too. Has that changed?

My only complaint about "stacking" chevrons, is that I read somewhere that the highest class is supposed to be on the top. But that means you have to move all the others down everytime you earn a higher class.

It occured to me last night that it might be a lot easier to cut out a piece of black felt, use something like Patch Attach (available in the craft section at WalMart) to glue the chevrons to the felt, and then sew the whole shootin' match to the sleeve.

It's a Bad Idea to use Patch Attach directly on your uniform. You CAN get the patches off, but it leaves an indelible mark on whatever it had been attached to. Learned that the hard way. But this idea addresses that problem since the piece of felt can be thrown out when the chevrons are removed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:13 pm 
Master Guide

I have more than one shirt that has been ruined by moving patches. Once upon a time the chevrons were on individual backgrounds making them rectangles. You could strip the thread (if skilled) and then move them with less difficulty.

The picture in the manual is one of those "typos." Page 78 scetion c. "The only patch worn is the highest achieved class of the wearer."

fish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:04 pm 
New Friend

If only the "highest achieved class" chevron is to be worn on the sleve then why do we have Master Guide Combination patches with the star and all the chevrons on one patch? If Pathfinders are only to wear their higest class then Master Guides should only wear the star.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:26 pm 
Master Guide

No, the "highest achieved class" chevron is to be worn on the front of the shirt on top of the poccket. The other are moved to the sleve. For example if you are Explorer - the Explorer chevron should be in top of the pocket and the Friend chevron move to the sleeve. I taught the kids that when they move the chevron to the sleve to start close to the bottom to leave space for the next one that will go to the top and that way they don't have to move every chevron all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:54 pm 
Master Guide

Hi Betsy,

Welcome back! It's been a while since you've posted hasn't it?

There are two types of patches that show class levels, the "strip" and the "chevron". The strip is a rectangle, and that does indeed go over the pocket. The chevron is a wide V, and that goes on the sleeve (I've never heard anyone say it goes above the pocket).

Fish wrote:
Quote:
Page 78 scetion c. "The only patch worn is the highest achieved class of the wearer."

and now Betsy's got me wondering if that applies to the strip, the chevron, or both? I too have been wondering about the MG star with six stripes. Of course everything doesn't always makes sense, right? I think we could use some clarification!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:22 pm 
Master Guide

Hi Jim,

Thanks. I always read the forum, except the time that I was on vacation. Just sometimes hard for me to answer some of the questions. Being an Area Coordinator doesn't give me the same opportunity as when I was a club director.

You are right. Chevron to the sleeve and highest strip over the pocket and later to the sash when pathfinder advanced to the next class. Thanks for the clarification.

Regarding the MG star with six stripes this is what I learned from Mike Stevenson our Pathfinder Conference Director: MG Star = Pathfinder became Master Guide without studying all the classes. MG Star with six stripes = Pathfinder became MG studying each class.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:10 pm 
Superlative Voyager

According to what I have read in the manuals, the advanced ribbon bars (or strips I believe you call them) stays above the pocket. I knew that the class name strips go to the sash, but I was trying to figure out what to do with the chevrons on the sleeve - because they don't make the sleeves as long as they used to lol. Moving the chevrons onto the sash makes a lot more sense.

Thanks for the information!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:11 pm 
Master Guide

In here in Ohio some clubs do that, move the chevrons to the sash with the strip.