Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: accessory links
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:22 am 
Master Guide

One good store to get uniform, banner and flag, and drill accessories is

http://www.paradestore.com they have a paper catalog as well. I like AdventSource but for the particulars of dress and drill this location may help you.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources Interantional

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:23 am 
Skillful Ranger

Chris, I took a look at that website. I think I will mention it our drill instructor who runs the advanced drill team. She was wanting to get stuff for the drill team. ;)

Central NH Flames

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:49 pm 
Master Guide

I have found that sharp uniforms and a sharp look help the discipline of a group and that it is worth it. I am one of the diehards that beleives you should be in your dress shirt more often than the field uniform. My club was one of the earliest to adopt a t-shirt field uniform, we were always better behaved in our button up shirts.

It is worth the effort.

Chris Fishell
XYRI

Post subject: Proper uniform etiquette
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:54 pm 
Participating Companion

Some Pathfinders and Pathfinder parents feel that presenting yourself in proper uniform is a small and insignificant thing for them to worry about in being a part of a Pathfinder organization. However, my experience has been that those who get it right, almost always are better disciplined Pathfinders in all of the other functions of a club. In Matthew 25:21, Jesus refers to the fact that if we prove ourselves faithful over a few things that we will be enabled by Him to become responsible over many things.

hardworkin1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:50 am 
Astute Guide

It seems that most Pathfinders (youth) I have been around hate to wear the uniform. Dress or field, it doesn't matter. They can't wait to get it off. Have had several that would take demerits time after time rather than come to a meeting in the uniform of the day.

Will agree that the members that hate the uniforms the most, were the ones that casued most of the trouble.

I have wondered if they think they are giving up their individuality with a uniform but then they all dress alike when left on their own.

Wearing the uniform is being part of the club.

Mr. Mike

Post subject: Youth and Uniforms
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:59 pm 
Master Guide

A year or two ago I ran into a Girl Scout Troop outside a local supermarket. It was a teen troop and I did not notice at first that they were Girl Scouts at all. As I was leaving I realized who they were so I spoke briefly to there Troop Mother, she said that she was happy to have them participate wether they would eear a uniform or not.

Maybe demerits do not work, toothless acts never do. Barking dogs only deter those who fear dogs, those who do not will not waiver. Points systems surface and sink in these discussions on occasion. Let me tell anyone who might hear they are important, the participation of a Pathfinder in the total program including the uniform is a promise they make by signing their application. Pathfinders is a privilage as are all things truly. You do not have an inherent right to join, and bother, any group you choose ;if you do not wish to commit then you do not belong. Sometimes for Pathfinders to learn this they have to miss out on something.

The points system is only useful if it means something. You must maintain a certian percentage of points to stay in the club, more to participate in outings, more to participate in the Year End Event. Fall below the line; miss out. You would not hesitate to suspend or expel a Pathfinder who hits a staff member in anger (I hope); this is equal, all standards exist to be the standard.

If you want them to wear their uniform then say so, if they show up without it, send them home to change or miss out. When their friends are talking about all the things they did as a group they will reach a point that they want to be there and then they will participate. If your program is weak and not worth attending then they won't. I am sorry, it is what it is, the program is about the kids and kids need to be active.

For some churches and clubs, especially those who have not had strong programs in some time and child/family discipline is bad, then it will be a greater battle. For these places more than just a club is needed, the constant interaction and interplanning of all of Youth/Junior Youth Ministry (including the school) is needed. Your church should have Youth Pastor or an Elder who is the Youth Director this person should be excited about the youth and do something with it. Fun nights sponsored by the church for all of the family, ones that are not baby sitting services but for the whole family will help bring them in, once they start liking being around church events it will get easier, because some rules for behavior and modesty are uniform throughout the church as a matter of doctrine.

As they come around more, more of them will join the small groups like Pathfinders, Adventurers, and AY. The standards of activity and participation are higher still, but if your program is worth attending they will get on board and you will not have long term problems with most of them. In 17years as a Deputy Director or Asst. Coordinator I have had involvement with only one club that had to expel a member and that was well deserved. I know off hand of only one other specific instance and that was well deserved.

If they truly do not want to be there then it is not the ministry for them, maybe an AJY Society (less formal) or church intermural sports league is better for that child (yes, this can be a ministry). If this is the case then it is better to help them find a place they want to be, they will be far more receptive to the learning that gows with the activity. If your church does not have another option then a long chat with the church board and a reminder to the parents that they promised to help when called upon (by signing their Pathfinder's application) might get something going. Somethings could meet as little as one or two times per month.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:52 am 
Astute Guide

I was not detailed enough, the demerits were part of a point system. The system included provisions that if you did not have enough points, you could not attend the next club campout. Camporees were never in the discipline program because I wanted all the Pathfinders at a Camporee for the evangelism aspects of those meetings.

The Pathfinder program will change the rough ones over time if they will stay with the club. I have seen it over and over again.

The fact still remains that the rank and file Pathfnder that I know does not like the uniform and wants out of it as quickly as possible.

Mr. Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:17 pm 
New Friend

When I was 8, I was member of Adventurers. We never got our field or dress uniforms. Last year, I worked as staff (Iam now in my late teens) and never got my dress uniform. I was very disappointed. I had always wanted to wear my uniform, but never got to. Even as a child I would have loved to have worn my dress uniform. I personnally can't understand why other kids hate theirs.

Post subject: another one?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:45 pm 
Helpful Explorer

In addition to http://www.paradestore.com you should also check out http://www.beekay.com. They seem to have better prices.