Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Uniform Pins
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:31 pm 
Master Guide

Cailin, did I read: a bar that all of the class pins attach to?

I did not see that at AdventSource, It would be handy.

Chris Fishell

Post subject: MG bar/class pins
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:34 am 
Skillful Ranger

Yes, you read correctly. I have seen several of the master guides from my conference wearing them. If Adventsource does not have them, maybe ask your conference director wheree to find them?

Cailin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:01 am 
Superlative Voyager

Has anyone checked to see if you can buy them for a "military-type" store? Something to the likes of ROTC in high school I believe sells these things. I haven't looked into it, but I know the military and ROTC both provides these. I just don't know if to clubs. It's worth a check...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:57 am 
Skillful Ranger

try http://www.soldiercity.com or Ebay. I have gotten uniform items from them. SoldierCIty carries web belts in several colors including black, and various other items including the military ribbon holders ;) Ebay is a good place to find items, because they are usually pretty inexpensive.

Cailin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:21 pm 
Master Guide

Even if there was an existing pin holder since pin sizes vary and the AY pins are unique and not borrowed form ROTC or military you will not find something just right.

You can make one and it will be concealed. First get a semi flexible piece of plastic, not bag material but solid sheeting. Cut it to fit the back of you pocket cover and then using tracing paper or the like postion you pins on your pocket without the plastic. Using the good guide holes from your tracing paper use a sharp pin to puncture the plastic sheet.

When you place it behind your pocket cover you can line th pins up to go through the holes you made placing them in the correct location on the pocket. I do wish the pins had a larger barb though, so they were less prone to spinning. My coat is okay but they do not grab shirts well.

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:52 pm 
Skillful Ranger

I have had some success finding a woman's green Class A army uniform (for MG). That way, I should have it by the time I am invested... :D

Central NH Flames

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:03 am 
Astute Guide

The back of the military ribbon holder can be used with the Pathfinder Trail bars. You slide the Pathfinder bar off its individual back and slide it on the multiple military back. I have one that holds 6 bars on a single back the only has three posts that go through the shirt. Very handy.

The class pin holder is just a piece of black plastic with posts glued on the back. It has holes for all the class pins and the Master Guide Pin. I guess you could drill more holes for PLA and PIA if you needed them. I find the black plastic a little tacky personally.

Mr. Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:56 am 
Skillful Ranger

I thought it might be useful, but maybe cardboard or something stiff inside the pocket flap would work better. I was in JROTC, and we were always taught to put cardboard behind our ribbons and stuff. It helps them from sagging.

Central NH Flames

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:20 am 
Master Guide

For Pathfinders and in my law enforcement and emergency management days I always used cardboard on shirts. Coats are thick enough that pins don't "droop" but single pins can be hard to line up for some people. I have used a ribbon bar holder for about 15 years. They are available at any surplus store in numbers of 2 up up. You won't likely need more than seven since there are 6 adv. classes plus the conduct award. Some Floridians will need 9. There are two types "Army" and "Air force" - one has a 1/8" gap between rows and the other is tight. I, and those I have helped get there, use the tight style.

Some Uniform stuff can be found at (most): http://www.paradestore.com

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources Internatiional

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:58 pm 
Skillful Ranger

Cool! they have all the stuff for drill teams ;)

Central NH Flames

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:18 pm 
Master Guide

Order the catalog, it is a great one, I end up giving it away. I have found no other supplier with so many useful items available. Most uniform suppliers are military or law enforcement and limited. This place supplies ROTC and JROTC so they have it ALL.

Chris

Post subject: Uniform Pins
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:31 am 
New Friend

Uniform pin bars and advanced class ribbon bars can be purchased from Florida Gulf Coast Signs (address in AdventSoyrce catalog) or at http://fgcs.homestead.com Bars can be ordered with as little as 1 class pin or all 6 classes AND MG, PLA & PIA. Matching nametags with full color pathfinder loge also available. I have worked with Jack (the owner) for years while I was an Adventurer Director and have never had any problems. He is a great guy to work with including some special request I have had. Jess

Post subject: Pin Holders
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:40 pm 
New Friend

Try this website http://www.alexsengraving.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:39 am 
Skillful Ranger

I checked out both of the above links. They are good, but personally, I prefer the military ribbon bars. The three rows of two ribbons that they sell on the site just look 'wrong' to me....

Central NH Flames

Post subject: Ribbon bars
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:31 pm 
Participating Companion

Being ex-military, I have to agree with bluescifiworm about the ribbon bars. Once you get 3 or more ribbons, it is much nicer looking to show them wide instead of high in a two column tower. Also, remember to center your 2nd and greater rows of ribbons over the previous row. It looks classy and will keep you looking sharp, especially if you find yourself or your club in the presence of a military person or unit. You can purchase ribbon bar holders from http://www.usmedals.com, for anywhere from 1 to 9 ribbons. By my count, the total number of ribbons that you can earn in Pathfinders is 7, for the classes and the good conduct.

hardworkin1

Post subject: Ribbon Bars
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:32 pm 
New Friend

I love the uniform and think it should be displayed with pride, but so many of our youth today hate them. I think partly its because they have not associated it with pride or honor, some that is lost in todays society. One thing I would like to see is more ribbon bars available than just the advanced class ribbon bars and good conduct bar. I have derived some ribbon bars for other exceptional merits, Such as heroic acts, excellence in service, outstanding achievement, and many more. I would like to see them presented to the exsecutive committe for consideration. The sash is important for displaying honors, pathches and pins. But I am a firm believe in something outstanding in the way of ribbon bars, they would not neccissarily be very easy to earn, that way pathfinders and staff could display them with much more pride in earning them. Would anyone else like to see more ribbon bars like that?

Director Moore

Post subject: Agreement
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:09 am 
Participating Companion

I agree with Director Moore. It is a very good idea, however i wonder if a few years down the road, we will have to add more and more and more. When i was younger those six advance ribbon bars were very hard to get, and the Good conduct ribbon was an even harder item, i want to think over the years we have lost that, lost the importance of the uniform, as leaders. To me once the leaders get back the importance of the uniform then the pathfinders or younger one will also see the importance. It starts from the top and come down.

But i love the idea for more ribbons. Always good for young people to keep on achieving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:26 pm 
Superlative Voyager

I agree with Director Moore on this topic as well.

The one thing that I really enjoy is earning all those special bars to wear proudly on my uniform. I am thankful that I am so proud to wear my Class A uniform whenever I can, I love the club, pathfindering, the church, and most of all, I love Jesus!

I am reading right now in Desire of Ages about how much love Jesus had for us..even though most people despised Him. It's amazing!

I can't wait to be invested as a Master Guide - it's a long time coming for me. I put that award right up there with my college graduation next spring. That's how much awards mean to me - now only if we can get our kids to think the same...

Marcie

Post subject: Ribbon Bars
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:39 pm 
Participating Companion

Director Moore, I agree with you also. We do need more ribbon bars and I would be interested in seeing your ideas in greater detail. Here are a few of my own ideas for ribbon bars that I think would be worthy of consideration: Giving complete Bible Study course instruction, Community Service, Fundraising, Being a member of a Conference Honor Club, Pathfinder of the Year and Director of the Year. The first three ribbons should be difficult but reachable, within their normal time in the Pathfinder program. The Honor Club ribbon would be a unit award and the final two would be by club and conference nomination, respectively, once minimum qualifications were met. Of course, all of the present and future ribbons would need to be categorized by award level for proper display purposes. Then too, I wouldn't want the numbers of ribbons to get out of control. We have 7 now and I think something in the 10-15 range maximum, would be quite sufficient and interesting. The main thing is that we teach Pathfinders that exceptional service is worthy of recognition but in turn, that they don't get something for every good thing that they do.

hardworkin1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:00 pm 
Superlative Voyager

Those are some great ideas! Maybe the GC can get something together similar to that...

Marcie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:38 am 
Astute Guide

I like the idea of other ribbons being available.
Bible Study is covered by a pin and bars from the Bible Bowls.
ARKLA Conference uses a red, white, and blue ribbon for Pathfinder of the Year.
Outstanding Directors can be nominated for our Pathfinder Hall of Fame which has a pocket pin.

Mr. Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:27 pm 
Master Guide

First, I started on a uniform guide a couple of years ago that I was planning to present to NAD. I did not finish it but some pages such a pin and ribbon placement were mostly done. Would anyone be interested in looking at it as an idea for uniformity if I have it posted at the xtreme website?

Next, I have been tempted with the idea of several merit ribbons before as well. I used to be enchanted by the Generals at Pentagon briefings and on an occassion I am aware that in an unform for the Army today I would be carrying about 32 ribbons, and it looks good. That is just it though, a matter of pride - it looks good. I am not opposed to more ribbons I do believe the debate should include though, the deeper motive. Some of you have known me to point out rarely that I have completed the PLA PIA/APLA requirements but not been invested. The only one that can atest to this fact is Randy Raynes. I simply do not need more stuff to wear so I never asked to be invested. I was Pathfinder of the year in 1984 for my club, th pin is on my sash so is the other outstanding award I recieved and since my club did not actually hand out the Good Conduct ribbon I do not wear it despite fulfilling the technical requirement from ages 7-18 as a pre-Pathfinder through having been a CIT (that is 11 times as a club member). I am as recognizable as an authority in jeans and a t-shirt as I am in uniform, it is my conduct that makes this so.

If a Pathfinder saves a life does this deserve recognition; certianly. Should we build the self Pride of a person who commits a selfless Christian act? Crossing over from self esteem building and good goal setting to pride and greed is a risk when initiating new items such as this and so I think it should be near the forefront of the debate.

I will enjoy seeing the conversation go forward and am not attacking any person's motive here, I just do not want us to fall into a worldly method to a Godly aim.

As I have said I am not opposed to more ribbons, I in deed developed several "leadership" ribbons that were intended to denote a specific level of experience and training for adult leaders in the various children's and youth ministries of the church. The purpose was to help make visually available a level of mentorship that a person has to offer; some of us have very narrow experience, that although we are Master Guides we have never worked outside a modern Pathfinder Club while others have worked in and been trianed in Adventurer Leadership, Sabbath School, AYS and other areas as well; broadening the experience and guidance one might offer. As I am a die hard proponent of a "Unified Youth Program" where the leaders of all ministries including our schools work closely together to better teach and guide the children of the church a method of identifying those with more broad or limited experience seemed a good idea to me.

Please keep this discussion going.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:05 pm 
Skillful Ranger

I think that there should be some recognition for the different levels of staff besided just the director. The TLT's and director have braids, but just genreal staff only have the strip on the sleeve. What if there was a medal or ribbon for those of us who have completed basic staff training courses. I know that there are probably some staff who have not, so it would be kinda cool to be able to show that you had. On the issue of other ribbons: I think that having a ribbon for community service would be neat. I know that it is a requirement of all the classes, but I have done a ton of community service projects outside of Pathfinders. I am sure others have too ;)

Central NH Flames

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:50 am 
Helpful Explorer

:idea: In addition to http://www.alexsengraving.com (909-795-6013), Florida Gulf Cost Signs http://fgcs.homestead.com/Home.html (813-689-1666) is the place to get the Advanced Ribbon Bars as a single "bar pin" as well as the Class Pins on a single "bar pin". You can get the Class Pins on a single "bar pin" with or without the Master Guide pin. :!:

Thanks Fish for opening this can of worms!!! Pardon the pun.
Great question!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:55 pm 
Master Guide

It is what I do, fish do, after all enjoy some worms. I get hooked on ocassion, it all works out though.

Chris