Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Sun May 19, 2019 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pins, Cords.....HELP!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:22 pm 
New Friend

i was looking for the stars that go on the shoulder. how many is the director supposed to have, and where can i find them?

i am kind of new at all this (obviously).....what are the shoulder cords for, and where can i find guidelines as to what everythings means on the uniform and for what they are awarded?

thank you

eileen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:31 pm 
Master Guide

HI!

Okay, as a Club Director you wear ONE star on each side of your collar and on the epuletes of your coat if you are a MG or wear the green suit.

The cords don't exist on a formal level save for TLT and possibly some conferences adopting their own systems.

As a new Director you need to call the Conference Youth or Pathfinder Director and arrange for both he and your Area Coordinator to come and meet you soon. They can provide you with all of the policies that apply in your conference. In addition you need the Pathfinder Staff Manual - Available through AdventSource this will give you uniform and all Pathfinder basics. You can also obtain the official stars for your uniform through them and other uniform needs.

Also, when you speak to the conference find out when the leadership convention is and attend. If it is in the fall do not them put you off until then. You have planning to do make them meet you now, you need to get rolling and without the policies of the conference you may be wasting some effort.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:15 pm 
Astute Guide

The TLT's use a red cord.

There are clubs in our conference that have assigned different color cords for the jobs in their club.
The Captains have one color, the Scribes another.
They have cords for Drill Master and Pastor also.
The colors and jobs are the clubs decission.

Mr Mike

Last edited by Mr Mike on Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:19 pm 
Superlative Voyager

The informal rule here... is that director's wear a black cord. Conference directors and high staff wear gold and white braided cords with augilettes.

But that's all quite informal...

Central California Conference

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:04 pm 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD
In a club that I used to go to, we had red coards with black specs for the TLT's, white coards for the colorguard, and plain red coards for the drill team.

To my knowledge, the only official coard in pathfinders is the TLT braid that was metioned above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:59 am 
Helpful Explorer

Another official cord, i believe, is the black cord for directors. I've seen many directors wearing them, so I can only assume it's official.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:34 pm 
Master Guide

The only official cord in NAD is the TLT Cord. Some conferences may have their own standards such as cords for directors, and some individuals do as they will with their uniforms.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:07 pm 
Helpful Explorer

In the FL Conf., directors wear black cords as stated in their own Pathfinder Staff Manual. In the Southeastern Conf. in FL, the MGs wear a yellow cord, the color guard and some drum corp members wears white, the Conf. coordinators wear black, and the Conf. Youth Director wears red. At the NAD YMLC it was mentioned in the TLT seminar that they are the TLTs are the only ones with an official cord, which is red and spotted black.When you meet with your conference leaders, see what is appropriate for your conference.

Does anyone know if the NAD has any plans to make this uniform? It was confusing seeing all of the different colored cords at the convention. I couldn't tell who was who!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:26 pm 
New Friend

Chris

You stated a new reg. I was unaware of. The Directors star goes on the ?Collar? of the shirt? Our conference wears them on the epuletes of the shirt and the jacket of MG directors. Could you tell me where the reg. is found so I can pass it along? Thanks for this and ALL of your helpful post!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:02 pm 
Superlative Voyager

In regards to the stars...

I picked that up from watching our Coordinators wear them there.

Many other directors in our conference wear them on the epaulettes. And I have heard that they get lost easily! I've always worn mine on the tips of my collars, and they're much more comfortable there. I see some that wear stars in both places... but at $6.95 or so each, I'll stick with mine where they are :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:10 pm 
Master Guide

It is a matter of ambiguity, that is it was never fully defined. We do however, borrow our applications from many years of uniform history. When in uniform (military, law enforcement, fire, ems) with few exceptions the rank of an individual is worn on the collar (there are orientation matters as well). The exception is if the rank insignia is an epaulette cover like the US Navy uses for example. The rank insignia on the coat is worn on the epaulette for officers or on the sleeve in most cases for those wearing stripes (such as sergeants, this does not apply here).

God Bless,

Chris Fishell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:52 am 
Helpful Explorer

The description on the Adventsource website states that the director's leadership stars be centered on the shoulder loops. See the link below.

http://www.adventsource.org/ministryitem.aspx?ID=566

I am still awaiting a response about the cords, though. Does anyone know if the NAD is planning to make them uniform throughout?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:21 am 
Helpful Explorer

I've spoken with some people on the NAD uniform committee and they are discussing the cord situation. At this time the only NAD-approved cord is the TLT cord. They are also talking about some kind of cord or insignia the TLTs can wear after they complete the course, since right now TLTs must give them up when they're done. :) It does get confusing to see all the different cords from all the conferences at a national gathering. No one can keep them all straight if each conference has different positions attached to different colors--chaos! I hope that the committee will approve some guidelines that reach across the entire NAD to eradicate the confusion. :idea:

As for where the director or AC stars are worn, pg. 77 of the PF Staff Manual states, "The NAD Pathfinder Advisory Council recommended in 1990 the following uniform 'star' identification to be worn on the shirt or jacket epaulets..." then it goes on to list how many stars each position wears. So, they go on the epaulets, not on the collar. :wink: In the event of a shirt having no epaulets, I've seen people wear them on the collar points. If you have epaulets, you should wear the stars centered on them. I hope this helps! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:26 am 
Helpful Explorer

Very helpful, Ms. Linda. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:47 pm 
New Friend

Linda
Thanks for the reply!! I know our conference had discussed this many many years ago and knew it was in writing somewhere but couldn't find it yet (mind slipping I guess). I do remember that a mention of not putting on the collar was so we didn't resemble the police or military. As a semi-retired medic, we kept insignia off our duty shirt epauletes due to bags and cases with shoulder straps we must carry, but dress uniforms were on the epauletes. I personally have no preference in pathfinders other than uniformity.

Thanks again. Always enjoy your posts!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:38 am 
Superlative Voyager

I also remember the reason for them being on the collar was to not resemble the military...

Also another reason why camoflauged clothing is discouraged. The reasoning behind that, I remember that one Pathfinder group on the international level was from a country that was going through turmoil, and in a video about pathfinders, it showed a drill team dressed in camo as an outfit. That gave them the idea that Pathfinders were a paramilitary organization, and it was shut down in that area.

I might have a few things confused, but that's basically the idea of why we don't wear camo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:16 pm 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD
Reguarding cords. What do you do for a person who should have two cords for their uniform (eg. drill team & color guard)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:11 pm 
Master Guide

You can have custom cords made if you can raise the money to be a reflection of both types. Glendale uniform does make them, there link is in the forum repeatedly.

You can use the specialty cord like Drill Team only when you are acting as a team.

You can find another way to signify such special associations that does not conflict with an existing division level standard for uniforms such as collar pins or pins on or over the right pocket.

I am sure there are other ways to get it done.

Chris Fishell