Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:22 pm 
Helpful Explorer

We don't carry Advanced Honor Patches any more. We only distribute the Advanced Honor Stars.

See photo here: https://www.adventsource.org/smallpicture.aspx?ID=30073

And the Teaching dimonds are available too!
See photo here: https://www.adventsource.org/smallpicture.aspx?ID=30074

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:32 pm 
Skillful Ranger

I've been trying to get the teaching diamonds for ages.... :shock: :D

Central NH Flames

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:33 am 
Master Guide

Yay!!! I need to get a few of those myself.

Do you know why they quit carrying the patches with the adv star?

they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze”
Isaiah 43:1-3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:45 pm 
Master Guide

More items to embroider and stock. Advanced pins are not unique to a particular Honor so cheaper to carry and run little risk of setting on a chelf for ages. And as you have seen in these discussions there is the added benefit that as you get too many patches for a sash you will have saved room not having two patches for one Honor.

So it benefits everyone.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources

Post subject: Re: Big sashes
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:27 pm 
Master Guide

pathfinders wrote:
Did you know that AdventSource (heads up Lonny) sells "teaching diamonds" for instructors to stick on their honors once they've taught the honor. I've got about 60 of those. Very cool.

I'll have to get some of those. It'll take me a while to get 60 though. :lol:

A very good idea Lonny :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:28 pm 
Master Guide

pfcamper wrote:
:shock: 60!? Wow, great job, Mitch! :D

:lol: No, I don't have 60. Mark O'Ffill does. Maybe in 20 years. :P I have figured I've taught around 8 honors.

For getting the teacher's diamond, do you have to teach the honor by yourself, or can the responsibility be shared between several people and still get the pin :?:

Yea, they only make the advanced star pins now I guess. I think they are a good idea.. :wink: It saves room on my sash!

Post subject: Honor Patch Overload
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:59 pm 
Participating Companion

It might be that one day the conference will need to consider a patch that is all inclusive of several others.

Now this is just off the top of my head so don't treat it like an exact science.

For instance a patch that would include several outdoor activities such as canoeing, backpacking, and hiking. That would be on the order of a "Master Outdoors" honor. There might be one or two more that could be added to that.

That one patch would denote all the others one must earn first to wear it. It might be complicated to come up with a symbol for all that but it sounds as if that might be where things are headed.
It would clear up the problem of appearance but still allow space to show what one has studied and inspire the younger ones to learn as well.

I agree the patches should not be for show but a means to motivate others to learn more about God, people, and the wonderful, mysterious world God created for us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:25 pm 
Skillful Ranger

Scout, there are such honors. They are the Master Honor patches. You have to earn a certain number of honors within each category in oder to get the Master patch.

Central NH Flames

Post subject: Master Honor patches
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:40 pm 
Participating Companion

Thanks blue, I am just now getting back into PF after several years away. I had never heard that before.
Every day that I keep my ears and eyes open and my mouth closed, I LEARN SOMETHING!
That bit of info must be in the manual which I do not as yet have.
Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:26 pm 
Superlative Voyager

Hey Mike,

Remind me, I picked up a Pathfinder Staff Manuel, I'll bring it to church Sabbath, you can tajke it home with you for the week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:42 pm 
Helpful Explorer

In reply to pfcamper, the bronze stars are pretty small and go on the Good Conduct Award ribbon if you receive it more than once while you're a Pathfinder. The advanced honor stars are silver colored, about 1/4 inch across and go on the regular honor patch to show that you've earned the advanced version of that honor. I don't believe there is a prescribed place to put them on each honor, as long as you can still tell which honor it is. There's plenty of room on most of the patches where it could go. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:14 pm 
Helpful Explorer

Earlier in this string Alan asked this question:

Does anyone else have any other creative ideas on how they handle their patches when their sash is full?[/quote]

I've been a Master Guide for about two years and have been reluctant to switch my sash to green since it's mostly full. I've decided to make the switch over Christmas when I will hopefully make the time to take on this project. In talking with my friend the other day, we came up with a solution to the full sash problem. First, I'm not going to put on any advanced honor patches, but use the stars on the regular patches to save space. Second, I'm going to try something completely different. I'm going to use a 3-wide sash as the base and fill it up with honors, and put the MG crest at the point. Then, I'm going to take a 2-wide sash and cut the top and bottom, cutting off the pointy tip of the sash and finishing both ends nicely. (I don't want the flap to cover the MG crest! I'm also an Area Coordinator and wear the 2-star pin on the top of the sash on the right shoulder and can't have the material too thick to fasten the pin. I don't have "the suit" yet and probably won't for a while.) Then, I'm going to sew the inner edges of the two sashes together, with the 2-wide on top, making it into a flap. Velcro dots, strategically placed, will hold down the flap. Should I need more space I can repeat the process on the back using the second half of the 2-wide sash. If I'm blessed to earn yet more honors, I can sew them on the underside of the flaps. Why wouldn't I just use another 3-wide as the top layer? I just think it would be neat to have the layered effect, and I don't think I'll ever need to have 2, 3-wides full!

Sometimes I feel like I may be showing off my honors, but I've found that it really gets kids interested in earning more honors when they see them. They ask me all the time how many I have and how did I get so many. I tell them that I earned several of them in church school and summer camp as well as in Pathfinders, but I've also earned a lot of them as a staff member and by teaching them! (If you're teaching it, you're doing it!) I tell them that they can earn a lot if they stick with Pathfinders and then become staff and stay with the club. Hopefully they will! :smt023

Post subject: Sashes too full?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:04 pm 
Site Admin

Just a reminder that Sashes are for HONORS, not for all the other pins, buttons, camporee patches, etc. that NEW Pathfinders usually put on them. There are clubs that build 5-wide sashes (see my description at other places on this forum about my 5-wide), and such as sash can hold about 200 honors. . . .

The NAD has helped us out recently by making the advanced honor a STAR to place on the regular honor.

I hope this helps.

Mark O'Ffill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:55 am 
Helpful Explorer

I only have the DTP camporee patch on the back of my current sash, and it's small. It's not going to appear on my new sash, however. I also don't have a lot of advanced honors patches, but those I do have are also coming off and being replaced by the silver advanced honor star on the regular patch. I, too, am glad that AdventSource came up with that space-saving alternative!

There are a few neat things I've seen people do with their camporee and conference event patches. One is sewing them on the back of a jean jacket or fleece jacket, and another one is putting them on the back of a fishing vest with lots of handy pockets on the front. (Plenty of room in the pockets for knife and "flint," small flashlight, emergency poncho, small first aid kit, etc., and it can be worn over another jacket or sweatshirt if needed.) :smt036