Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 9:16 am 
Superlative Voyager

I believe that due to an overall lack of formality in the communities that I have lived in, the Dress Uniform has been replaced by the feild uniform maybe a little too often. In my early Pathfinder years we wore our dress shirts at nearly every Pathfinder event, with uniform skirts where possible, and with jeans when doing community clean up and things of that sort. With the popularity of feild uniforms, our dress uniforms make it out of the closet for Pathfinder Sabbath, Camporee, Investiture, and the Fair. So I guess I'm wondering, Do you have your Pathfinders show up at regular meetings in their Dress Uniforms, or Feild Uniforms? And why?

Chelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 1:44 pm 
Master Guide

Our habit has been to wear the dress uniforms one meeting each month for a club inspection. On this night we geared activities toward fair prep, Pathfinder Sabbath Practice and the portions of classwork that did not require dirty activity. Two or three meetings then were in field uniforms, we tried to make one meeting the class "B" I have discussed before.

For outings it varied, for can collection of ingathering class "A" or "B" depending on how active it would be and weather expectations. For service work field uniforms are appropriate in my book. Whenever weather (here heat is an issue) and activity allow I prefer to have them wearing a real uniform shirt.

The monthly class "A" inspection was to make sure they had not lost peices, or ruined them. It was also a way to be sure we could work on proper manners, and behavior while wearing dress clothing.

Well that's my recent years experience.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:48 am 
Skillful Ranger

My club directors purchased most of the uniforms for the kids through the club funds, so the kids dont really own anything except their sashes. I think only the staff actually own their uniforms. We have been having a lot of trouble with kids showing up in half the dress unifrom (ie uniform shirt and jeans0 when they were asked to be in full dress uniform. They are thinking of collecting the uniforms for the summer, and having it be mandatory attire at meetings..... I know that this seems kind of harsh, but we can't seem to impress on the kids the meaning of the words "full dress uniform".

Central NH Flames

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 11:16 am 
Astute Guide

Being in uniform is part of our points system.
If you are not in the correct uniform, you loose points.
Without the correct number of points, you may miss some of the fun things the club does.

Mr. Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:08 pm 
Superlative Voyager

Mr. Mike,

How often do you require Dress Uniforms? The rest of what I wnat to know is how as a leader do you keep track of points? But I"ll start a new thread for that.

Chelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:44 am 
Astute Guide

I use a spreadsheet to track overall points for the year.
A printed sheet that was used at each meeting to mark off points.
These sheets were then used to fill out the master spreadsheet.
When the club was larger, the scribe marked the meeting sheet.
As the club got smaller, I would just do the point keeping.

Full dress uniforms were only used periodically for regular meetings mostly to check to be sure the uniform had not been outgrown.
Most of our club members come straight from school to club meetings and would not have a chance to change into the uniform.

Mr. Mike

Post subject: Dress Uniform
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:04 pm 
New Friend

Our club wears the full dress uniform the first meeting of every month (in addition to Fair, Camporee, PF Sabbath, Investiture). The kids who comply and wear the proper uniform get points towards the good conduct bars. Our teens want to get their Teen Pathfinder of the Year braids so they consistently wear their uniforms. I like the braid system in the Upper Columbia Conference because it seems to motivate our teens to stick with the program and I don't actually have many complaints (at least not very loud) about having to wear uniforms. It's just the way we do things in our club. I haven't managed to get them to voluntarily wear them to church unless they are actually in a "pathfinder role" where all the kids are wearing their uniforms. No one likes to be "different" and stand out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 2:29 pm 
Skillful Ranger

The earning points towards Good Conduct is an interesting approach. I just got back form camporee, so I am worn out.... BTW, Rangerman, it was cool to meet you :)

Central NH Flames

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:25 am 
Master Guide

Mteam wrote:
Our teens want to get their Teen Pathfinder of the Year braids so they consistently wear their uniforms. I like the braid system in the Upper Columbia Conference because it seems to motivate our teens to stick with the program and I don't actually have many complaints (at least not very loud) about having to wear uniforms.

Yes, the Teen Pathfinder of the Year braids in UCC is very good.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:13 am 
Site Admin

One thing I have found REALLY helps for having kids show up in the correct uniform is a quick email to the parents/kids, or in the "old days" a note home each week of upcoming events etc., with one of the parts of the event detail was Uniform: Class "A" or whatever was appropriate.

One of the directors in my area does a monthly calendar that is sent home each month (and emailed as a PDF). Each even on the calender has the appropriate uniform listed.

I'm convinced that one of the places we fail our kids in this regard is clearly communicating to all involved parties what the expectations are in a manner that is timely and appropriate. Telling them something ONE WHOLE WEEK before it happens is not sufficient in our "super-full" lives today.

Mark O'Ffill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:35 pm 
New Friend

Our club requires dress uniforms for the first meeting of each month. We usually use that night to do the "book work" part of the honors. We also keep a point system which includes 5 points for wearing the correct uniform. Pathfinders lose 1 point for every missing part (including black socks and shoes!) The first meeting of the month we look sharp!!! :D But the place I have seen our pathfinders wearing their dress uniform the most is at their baptism. I am so thankful that they are willing to serve God especially as a pathfinder.