Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Classwork and sash
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:02 pm 
New Friend

I have been in Pathfinders for about 10 years every time I earned a new class level I took the lower level off my shirt and put it on my sash above my honors. Recently I have had several people tell me that it is wrong. Is their a spot that you are supposed to put your lower class badge after you earn the next one up?

Post subject: Re: Classwork and sash
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:54 pm 
Master Guide

According to the Staff Manual (page 81), the sash is used for holding a) Staff identification (i.e., the name tag), and b) AY Honors, etc (emphasis added).

The "AY Honors, etc" is then explained as AY Honor tokens, insignias, awards, Camporee patches, and etc.

In my opinion, chevrons would be covered under either "etc" or "insignia". If those who are telling you otherwise can cite a source, I'd be interested in hearing it!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:31 am 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD
I have seen two ways of applying the chevrons to a uniform. The first, jomegat explained. The second is to place the chevrons all on your sleeve. Starting with Friend (or the lowest earned class level) and then climbing. I would have placed them on my sash, as jomegat said, but I rarely got the chevrons. Then, when I became a Master Guide, I got the patch with the star and chevrons, so they ended up on my shirt sleeve anyways.

Ask your conference officials. They will always be the final rule about how it should be done in your area.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:17 am 
Master Guide

VP is correct, of course. My conference allows the chevrons on the sleeve, but the Staff Manual says that only the highest class earned should be there. It then lists the exceptions (MG plus six being one of them). Check with your conference.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:29 pm 
Master Guide

Things don't always get clarified as they appear to change.

Starting in the 1998 edition of the manual the pictures were redrawn and no longer show the old class work items at the top of the sash.

In the 1990 edition the picture and the sash description (p. 81 5.a) was different.

Once upon a time we placed our old (earlier) class ranks on the sash at the top starting with Friend moving downward with higher levels. This was VERY different: The pin was on line one to the right and the strip on line one to the left. The chevron was on line two on the right and the advanced bar on line two to the left.

Today all of the class pins and ribbon bars are worn on the shirt (this was intended to eliminate the old method). By not placing any class items on the sash you save vast space for Honor patches. The class ranks you have completed are still plainly evident on the shirt.

I actually prefer the newer method but many of us who have been around a long time have never changed. I have two VERY full sashes I wear no more than one time each year to excite and motivate the kids with all the bling...

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International