Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:42 pm 
New Friend

Hi , I've been using resources from this site for a while , and there's one thing that bugs me ! French material !!!!
I'm in Canada , Ottawa ; and i've been told we're part of the NAD . Though living in an English environment , we happen to have two French churches , with the highest-rate of pathfinders in the Capital region . And to be honest ,i have to translate everything from the P manual to class material . It is time-consuming !
May i suggest that you include a French section so we don't feel so isolate , since i'm pretty sure we're not the only French-speaking pathfinders in Canada .
Thank you and Keep up the good work !

Always at His service !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:18 pm 
Master Guide

That could be difficult. As there aren't many of us here who speak French. I am one of the few who have a little bit of it inside my head. But nowhere near enough to translate all that material. You should try to find it from somewhere, maybe you could get it from the European Division. Just a thought.

they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze”
Isaiah 43:1-3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:32 pm 
New Friend

Thank you for the suggestion . Do you have any European link in mind ?
Cause i'm not familiar with this Division .

And , also i was refering to your site particularly . cause it is sooo rich , even without any PF songs like the Scouts sites . You , guys should give it a thought !

Always at His service !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:16 pm 
New Friend

Definately , I'm not lucky !
The site you referred me to is first of all in English and empty . The PF section has nothing in it .

I'll keep looking !
Hopefully someone will direct me to something soon !

Thanks guys !

Always at His service !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:54 pm 
Master Guide

Have your tried submitting web pages to http://babelfish.altavista.com? It doesn't seem to work on PDF files, and I cannot guarantee that it even does a passable job - but it might save you SOME work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:34 pm 
New Friend

This is definately the tool we need on your site . I took a look at it and it should do !

Anyways , i suggest that the PFonline site administrator include it as an option , so users like myself can view informations in their own language .

Thanks again .

Always at His service !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:02 am 
Master Guide

It would be difficult for them to do, but I'm sure that they will at least look into it to see what kind of work it would take. Maybe this is something we all should work on, starting to take the forums with good info and translating them into other languages. I could take awhile, but it just might work.

they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze”
Isaiah 43:1-3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:58 pm 
Master Guide

There is one problem, the requirements from other divisions of the church will not match those that are approved by the NAD.

In NAD the major languages are American English, Canadian English, Variant forms of Spanish (mostly Mexican Spanish) and then Canadian French.

I am in no position to defend the limited resources in other languages except to assume it is the overwhleming minority of NAD members who do not speak English, and all resources cost money to develop and print and maintain. No one should be left out when or if there is a need for resources in any language then we all need help in getting them put together. That is, if you have translated material into french that is NAD material then send it to pathfinderonline and I am sure it will be put up and if possible it will be published through AdventSource.

http://www.adventsource.org/book.aspx?ID=21352

http://www.adventsource.org/book.aspx?ID=21356

There are shockingly few resources for Pathfinders in French for NAD especially since the Adventurer and Eager Beaver resources are almost all available in French. I wonder does the conference in Onterio or Quebec print resources? Have you tried contacting them?

http://www.sdaqc.org/article.php?id=59

http://www.ont-sda.org/Youth/

Although the position is temporarily unfilled the Global Pathfinder Director is reachable at gpd@gc.adventist.org; I suspect the assistant Mrs. Walker will be checking this email. GC does have resources more available in French but again they will not be a seemless match to NAD.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International

Post subject: Lack of French Materials
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:13 pm 
Site Admin

Time and money and know-how are all limitations to hosting french and spanish resources.

You will be happy to know that at the 2004 Pathfinder Ministries Council, that the NAD voted to expand the availability of French and Spanish resources. I'm not sure what has happened from that.

As fish already assured you, we'd be glad to host stuff you create / have access to that is in French.

Blessings,

Mark O'Ffill
Site Admin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:15 pm 
Helpful Explorer

The FrancoBelgian Union website do have some Honors in French on the address:
http://www.ffja.info/joomla/index.php?o ... &Itemid=71
mostly from page 9 to 14.
They are not many, unfortunately we have not had a habit of having that much honors in Europe as you have "over there", and of course Fish is right as well in pointing out that the requirements not automatically match those of NAD or GC.
But they are French and can be used as a source for a future NAD Forum in French as the one already made in Spanish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:23 pm 
Astute Guide

As I work at AdventSource, I know personally the woman in charge of French translations. I can ask her tomorrow where approximately it is on her list... but to tell you the truth, she has so much she needs to translate, it may be a while.

She also does Spanish translation and has been wondering if I could help her with that sometime... I think maybe I'll have time this summer, and that might help speed things up too.

"The union of all strengthens the work of each." ~Ellen G. White, 1SM 84.3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:56 pm 
Master Guide

I was talking with Brad Forbes and others a couple of weeks ago. There is still a serious head wind in translations for resources. There are problems not only in new resources but some groups are complaining about dialect. This much I am sure of, any person who is employed with or volunteers at the conference level that would like to volunteer to translate any material or to double check translations should. If you are not sure who to talk to email me and I can help get the ball rolling for you.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International