Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Club!!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:15 pm 
New Friend

I have a question. In my church we decided to make a pathfinder club, but I don't know if we have to tell someone about our club. Maybe to director of the NAD or someone else please help me. May God bless you all. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:35 pm 
Superlative Voyager

You need to have a club charter.

That needs to go through your local conference. You can get a club charter form from your conference or from Advent Source.

There's a few steps to starting an "official" Pathfinder club. Your club charter is one step. But before that, your church board needs to appoint a Director. In most churches, a Pathfinder Director is a position that comes up before the nominating committee at the end of the year. Since this is the middle of the year, you'd probably be ok in your church with the church board appointing a member to become Director.

That's something else. According to the Pathfinder Staff Manual, your Director is supposed to be a member of the church board. That's something that needs to come to the attention of your church board before they appoint a Director.

Your Director is the only person that's appointed by the church board. The Director is then free to choose staff members, deputy directors, and instructors.

Pathfinder Policy would require that all "full-time" staff members such as deputy directors, counselors, and secretary and such be baptized Adventists.

Once you have your Pathfinder Director, and your staff members and such... You fill out the Club Charter at this time. Your Pastor (or if you're a company or bible study group, the pastor that sponsors your group) and Treasuer, and Secretary and church board members and Director sign this form.

Turn that in to your local conference. The reason to be "registered officially" with your conference is so that you're an actual pathfinder club. You'll be notified about camporees, conference events, bike-a-thons, pathfinder fairs, etc... stuff like that. ALSO that will allow you to order honors. Because you can't order honors and class insignia from Advent Source directly... you have to go through your conference. And once you're registered with your conference, you'll be ready to order whatever you need to get your club started.

A while back I wrote up some "Helps and Ideas" for clubs once they get started, but are still slightly stuck as to where to go.

Post back and let me know if you have any questions. Also I'm sure there's a few other people on here with the insight to cover what I missed :P

God bless your new club.

Central California Conference

Post subject: Club Charter
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:16 pm 
Site Admin

Great response Phillip (MaderaPF),

Be sure to work CLOSELY with your conference Youth Director / PF area Coordinator(s). They are your allies and will help you make sure you get off on the right foot.

Oh, BTW, be SURE that your staff and yourself all go to your conference Pahfinder Staff Leadership Weekend. You will get tons of ideas, training, and networking. . . . all to help you succeed. Remember that "no man is an island. . . "

Mark O'Ffill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:24 pm 
Superlative Voyager

Speaking of Leadership weekends, the one for Gulf States is at Camp Alamisco in Alabama from August 19-21, 2005.

Marcie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:03 pm 
Astute Guide

Another reason for becoming an "Official" Pathfinder Club is the insurance coverage that will kick in.
With official status comes the liability and exended medical coverage insurance of an sanctioned church ministry.

Mr Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:43 pm 
Superlative Voyager

With the known accidents that happen with kids nowadays, the insurance coverage is wonderful. Doesn't the conferences also have coverage on automobiles used for Pathfinder transportation?

Marcie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:06 pm 
Superlative Voyager

I believe, at least here, that the insurance coverage is a blanket policy that covers everything including cars, health, life, etc... on a "church board approved outing" As long as your church board approves the outing, then the conference covers it.

That's at least the policy here so there's not pathfinders running around all over on "unsanctioned" outings.

Central California Conference

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:18 pm 
Master Guide

Also, get in contact with your Area Coordinator. His/her job is to help in anything that you need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:05 am 
Helpful Explorer

I would also recommend the book 7 Steps for Successful Pathfinder Leadership available at Adventsource (see the link to it below). It is an excellent book! It tells you step by step what you need to do to get started from the initial decision to have a club in your church to the very first meeting.

http://www.adventsource.org/book.aspx?ID=21355

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:54 pm 
New Friend

do u have to go through classes ns tuff to be come a pf leader?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:19 am 
Master Guide

You don't have to, but it would be good if your Conference offers the Leadership Weekend to attend. You will learn more about what to do to become a better leader.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:10 pm 
Master Guide

GodDosentLoveMe wrote:
do u have to go through classes ns tuff to be come a pf leader?

Definitely Conference Leadership retreats are invaluable. Our conference (UCC) has a informative classes and powerful spiritual meetings at Camp Mivoden each fall in September!

Really, becoming a leader is found in hands on experience and learning from leader mentors with more experience in pathfinder leadership.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:24 pm 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD
Mitch is right. Though you don't have to go throught the class levels, it is much easier to be a pathfinder leader if you have taken some classwork. It also helps to have staff that has been a part of pathfinders for a little while to help with ironing out the wrinkles that come up. Their experience is often invaluable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:41 am 
Astute Guide

If you're meaning the Pathfinder classwork levels (Friend, Companion, etc.), it is not required. It is good to at least be familiar with them, however, so before becoming a PF director, I would suggest (especially if you haven't gone through any of the class levels) to be a class instructor for a year.

If you're meaning the leadership training that most conferences offer, this, too, is not required. It would, however, be an excellent idea to attend, not only to gain instruction in how to be a leader, but to associate with other more experienced leaders who can help you with any questions you have.

"The union of all strengthens the work of each." ~Ellen G. White, 1SM 84.3

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:20 pm 
Site Admin

You've asked whether you have to have training to be a Pathfinder leader. The short answer is "no" but I would ask a question back....Why would you want to be a leader without the ASSISTANCE that training offers you?

I would strongly encourage you, whether you're a young leader or a "young at heart" leader to get all the training and MENTORING that you can. Pathfinder ministry is NOT as easy as falling off a log (as the old saying goes). Leadership is important and a lot of work. With training and mentoring, you have a MUCH higher change of succeeding long-term than if you go it alone without training.

If you are referring to class levels, I would suggest that you begin earning the Master Guide (If you meet the age requirement of at least 17 years old), or class level, if for no other reason than to KNOW what you're working with. The class levels are progressive, meaning that each one builds on the skills learned earlier. The goal of the Class levels, especially the higher level ones, is to develop skills in our young people that can, with the support of current club leadership, the TLT program, and other elements, create leaders for our clubs, church, and community.

I hope this answer helps.

Mark O'Ffill