Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TRAVEL
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:53 pm 
Site Admin

This is the monthly "Quick Tips" Feature on the NAD Pathfinder website. I thought you would appreciate dialoguing in relation to this topic. We all might learn something from your experiences in this area! :wink:

Mark O'Ffill :lol:

These tips will help your campout or field trip get off to a great start and be a more positive experience.

Arrive early at the launching site before the Pathfinders do. This will allow the staff / TLTs to load the cooking gear, tents, etc. and to make sure that all the pieces that need to be loaded are ready.

Limit or eliminate carbonated beverages (sodas) on trips that are longer than 1 hour. Sodas are diaretics, which means they'll cause Pathfinders to "want to go" more quickly then water or fruit juices. Each stop you make can easily turn into a 15-30 minute DETOUR!

Make sure each staff member knows where they're headed. Nothing slows down a trip as much as someone getting LOST, especially if its the person with the food or the tents!

Encourage Pathfinders to pack a lunch. This will save you 45 min. to 1 hr.! Stopping at even "fast" food for a meal can sap both money and time!

Encourage books and other reading material instead of media. It will start to get them in the "mindset" for a natural, media free weekend, and will also keep their expensive media toys from getting broken. Just remember that STAFF SET THE EXAMPLE!

Staff should lead in timely behaviors!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:50 am 
Astute Guide

Great tips :!:

For years we have asked the Pathfinders to leave the media toys at home.
A Pathfinder with a gameboy is not with the group.

For long trips we will get a book on CD or tape to listen to via the vehicle player.
The book Holes was a favorite of the group.
Care must be used in book selection and should be previewed if there are any doubts.

Mr. Mike

Post subject: Drowning Boredom
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:21 am 
New Friend

We love stories too!

Our kids are especially partial to the Focus on the Family series "Adventures in Odyssey"!

...Another thing our kids love is Sing-a-long Cd's. One of our favorites is the Disney Classic Sing-a-long. They love these 'well-known' songs that they can sing to at the top of their lungs. This get's quite comical at times!

have fun!

Deputy Director, Master Guide, Drill Instructor, TLT Coordinator

http://www.kodakgallery.com/bentonvillebeavers (password: beaver)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:18 pm 
Master Guide

pathfinders wrote:
Arrive early at the launching site before the Pathfinders do. This will allow the staff / TLTs to load the cooking gear, tents, etc. and to make sure that all the pieces that need to be loaded are ready.

That is a good idea. When a camporee is far from home we have a set up crew go early. They get our big tent set up and other cooking suplies. That way when the club arives they can finish the work in a timely way. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:43 am 
Superlative Voyager

We have the Adventist Heritage cds, which make for nice listening during the drive as well as teaching adventist history.

We have always had a no electronics rule, but the kids are allowed to bring stuffed animals, (1 per kid). My son brought along this electronic ape, that was interactive. I have to admit we never considered that and electronic device, and we all had a blast with him that weekend, but we discussed it later and agreed that the ape wasnt allowed on any more campouts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:29 pm 
Participating Companion

When our club went to Colorado for the Dare to Care Camporee, we had mostly girls along and we brought some of the books of Janett Oake (a Christian novelist) that the girls took turns reading out loud. We had such fun. I think we read 3 of her books the whole trip. Another rule is whoever rides shotgun (front passenger seat) cannot sleep. Their job is to help the driver stay awake!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:07 pm 
Master Guide

Chelly wrote:
We have the Adventist Heritage cds, which make for nice listening during the drive as well as teaching adventist history.

Yes, those are very good Cds! They are interesting and informative. :) We have a no electronic rule also. It makes it easyer and does help the kids to think more about the weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:51 pm 
Helpful Explorer

Make sure all cars are in good repair and insured. (Learned this the semi-hard way-- wasn't in the car.)

Also, packing drills before travel can help determine space needed if space is tight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:30 am 
Superlative Voyager

hmmmmm, packing drills, I think my family would lynch me. Although it would be good for them to have packing drills, maybe contests to see who can get the most stuff in the space available, as it is, they doen't even try, and I ahve to do all the packing myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:05 pm 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD
I like the packing drill idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 7:58 pm 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD
I often use my backpack as my luggage on campouts. I almost always have at least one meal (most often soup) and my cooking equipment always stored in the backpack. I have learned that this comes in real handy if you don't like the menu for a specific meal, there is need of a hot meal for a sick child, you aren't hungry when the meal is served but know that you will want food later or are stranded on the way to or from a campout and need an extra meal.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:41 pm 
Mr Mike wrote:
For years we have asked the Pathfinders to leave the media toys at home.
A Pathfinder with a gameboy is not with the group.

My club does that too, but on the way too or from the campout we are aloud to use them. Espeisally when it is a long drive.

Post subject: Re: TRAVEL
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 1:53 pm 
Astute Guide

In my club the rule is no electronic game or listening devices. However, we have a problem with the kids still bringing them. The staff never see, though, so the kids constantly get away with it. Any suggestions? :)

"The union of all strengthens the work of each." ~Ellen G. White, 1SM 84.3

Post subject: Re: TRAVEL
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 5:25 pm 
Hmmm... You could tell one of the staff when you see someone using it, and tell who it is. Other than that, if you are older you could take it away from them. Another thing is that you could make a fee for bringing them. The fees could go toward Oshcosh! ( LOL at that last remark! :D )