Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:47 am 
New Friend

My #1 would probably be; don't let the friend/companion boy groups do all their shopping on their own! Every year, each unit purchases their own food (on a budget). However, the little guys weren't so shopping-savvy and ended up mooching off of everybody else for the whole weekend, as they didn't buy nearly enough food for the big group they had. :lol:

Post subject: enough food
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:07 pm 
Master Guide

Young or old proper training in feeding a group is neccessary before shopping for one.

Allowing units to shop for themselves is a great training exercise, however; it is poor adult supervision that allows children to fail at this task. This is not a learn it or suffer kind of experience like when my toddler falls while running in his socks. We are expected to, and required to, properly provide for our Pathfinders; if they fail we fail.

I have had adults who could not plan outings or supervise groups. We either train them (if they are willing and inclined) or see to it their responsibilities are limited to where their talents are best suited. Once I gave new Club Cook enough cash to buy food for 6-8 days for shopping for a three day trip - she went over. We learned (at some expense) never to send someone out untested to shop.

I recommend this to guard against such problems. First have each unit practice menu planning under the mentorship of an expereinced camp planner or Camp Director. Then, lessons on the value of a dollar are apppropriate. You may need to have discussed proper health and hygiene before hand. Now each group goes shopping to fill their menu, they will shop with not only their counselor(s) but also the Club's Cook or primary shopper. Someone properly experienced, and charged by the Director, to excersise the level of influence needed to see to proper food quantities and pricing. The learning experience is then not how to beg for food or starve but rather; how to properly plan and administer meals. Remember we are training the future leaders and trainers and to that end we train them.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:41 pm 
Astute Guide

I like the idea of each group doing their own planning and such, but I would never let them do it unsupervised. I would have units with nothing but Little Debbies to eat if left on their own.

I would suggest letting them do it all on paper and then teach them what they did right and what needs to be modified. A menu, a shopping list, recipes on paper will not leave someone hungry or cost extra for things that were not required.

I have saved all the menus from our Camporees over the last several years. We know what works and how much of each ingredient is needed. When we do Camporee menus, it is more of picking a meal. The amounts needed and even a rough idea of the costs are know because of the history. We try to add a new meal from time to time, but we have a number of favorites. All of this is kept in Excel and is easy to modify as the group size changes. The point is that you do not have to start from scrach each time you want to go camping. Build on your history.

The only time we let our Pathfinders "sink or swim" is on a backpack trip. They are coached and coached and given suggested things to bring, but our backpack trips are - if you want, it bring it, and if you bring it you have to carry it. Also if you don't bring it you can't have mine. Even at this, the staff will have an extra meal or two along just in case something is overlooked. It might be after everyone else has eaten, before the hungry Pathfinder is taken care of, but they won't go to bed hungry.

Mr. Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:13 pm 
New Friend

True, they did have some adult supervision in their shopping, however, there's a contest each year in which the kids get a prize for who saves the most money on their budget. They didn't starve, but they didn't buy as much as they should have. I thought it was more amusing than pathetic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:10 pm 
Master Guide

Maybe the contest should include the requirement that you MUST have the proper amount of food.

For help with planning campouts and menus there are forms available for download at our web site (an entire book). You can find them through the link below this post. They include menu and ingredient planners.

The best way to save is to know where to shop and plan carefully.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:02 pm 
Superlative Voyager

We generally have the kids make up the menu, but the amounts have to be ok'd by me, hmmm, the menu also must be ok'd. We talk about prper nutrition and the logistics of preparing the meal. The menu also depends on the activities planned. I also take a case of apples, and granola as fillers. My Grandma makes the granola, and it makes a great trail mix.

My last group of Pathfinders spent alot of weekends at our house, so knowing the amounts was always easy. We once invited another club to join us at our annual winter camp in and found that even though the number double, the amount of food didn't need to double. I think our group of 10 kids at twice as much as their group of 14 kids. Funny, huh, we had so macy left overs.

Our pathfinders have created a camp out menu that rarely changes from one camp out to the next. When the kids are asked if they want something differant they say, of course not, it's camp out food.

Chelly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:16 am 
New Friend

HI!

In recent campouts we've let our pathfinders do their own cooking and shopping! IT WAS GREAT! They really learned alot about campfires and campcooking...However, we did have to supervise the menu ect. We've done it several ways.......

1. We come up with the menu and provide a shopping list. The kids purchase the items and show up with everything on their list. They just have to cook it. The leaves out possibilities for kids deciding to eat "little debbies" for breakfast every morning. To ensure that they brought all the food on the list, we gave each Pathfinder extra points when they proved that they brought EVERY ITEM on their supply list.

2. We let the kids come up with them menu and food list for ONE meal during the campout (usually Sabbath Lunch). Of course, this was supervised in their classwork classes. After they came up with their shopping list, we gave each pathfinder extra points for a Nutritionally sound meal and for bringing every item on their list.

3. The kids came up with everything! The menu, the shopping, and all! Actually, we only did this campout with our teens... of course supervision helped to cut down on Poptart breakfast. We required that each meal had to have some part of it cooked over an open fire and each meal had to include either a fruit or a vegtable and a protein source. (This also helped to knock out some requirements for the nutrition honor.) It worked great!

Audra

Deputy Director, Master Guide, Drill Instructor, TLT Coordinator

http://www.kodakgallery.com/bentonvillebeavers (password: beaver)

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 4:05 pm 
Our club did a campout where each unit got their own food. In my unit, (there are 6 in my unit,) each got food for one meal. The whole unit decided what to eat, but each person was responsable for one meal.