Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Camp Ovens
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:41 pm 
New Friend

I saw a collapsable camping stove in WalMart and I wanted to know if it is worth buying for my Pathfinder Club.[color=blue][/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:52 pm 
Master Guide

What kind of stove is it? Can you post a link to walmart.com that shows it?

If you want a backpacking stove as opposed to a camp stove, I can point you here:
http://www.csun.edu/~mjurey/penny.html#
I made on of these and it works well in the backyard (haven't had a chance to try it out in real life yet). I got the cans from the recycling center (they have to be a particular brand of can that no Pathfinder would ever buy).

Backpacking stoves are good for cooking one meal for one person. It's not practical to use them to feed a whole gang (unless everyone has their own stove - which isn't a bad idea). We might make these as part of earning the Metal craft honor.

A propane camp stove is a good thing to have if you want to feed a whole crew.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:43 pm 
Master Guide

You do not mean stove, you mean oven. The stove is the cooktop the oven is the box we bake in.

That said Coleman makes one that is a stove top version and collapseable. You set it up on your campstove and eventually it gets hot enough to bake about five or six small to midsize potatoes or one to two large ones. It is nice for family camping and okay maybe for a unit campout if the menu is right. It does NOT have the capacity to be viable for cooking a single meal or much of any thing but a potato or fish. That is you can not feed a club on it if the club is bigger than your average unit, potatoes take some time to bake through and baking twenty five at a time would run you about four hours of cooking and thirty minutes to heat up the oven and five minutes per door opening to get the heat back.

They also make one that has a propane hookup of its own. I have not demo'd it yet. If I ever do I will comment on it.

Happy Sabbath

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:52 pm 
Helpful Explorer

How long would it take to cook dinner (or lunch, or breakfast) over a fire?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:28 pm 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD
That depends on what you are cooking and what type of fire you have. I can cook a potato based meal in about twenty minutes with a log cabin fire.

Reguardless of what type of fire and food you are cooking, make sure that you have a good bed of coals. When cooking over a fire, make sure that you pay the food you are cooking over the fire lots of extra attention. My mom and dad decided to cook some potatoes over my log cabin fire while I was making BBQ chicken on the propane stove. I was busy with the chicken and they didn't pay much attention to the potatoes. They burned the potatoes a bit because the didn't pay attention to them or the fire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:29 pm 
Master Guide

Depends on what you are cooking. A fire can be prepared at a size and heat to bake 20potatoes in less than one hour. Camp stoves work well enough as stoves allowing you to prepare soup or similar pot cooked foods in large pots with frequent stirring (30-60 minutes). The problem with these ovens is volume, only being able to prepare a small portion at a time makes them impracticle to use with large groups, it could take hours to prepare enough food.

An hour total prep time is all you should need for dinner, lunch is likely less as less of it is likely to be cooked. Breakfast again depends on what you serve. An hour for mostly cooked meals less for mostly cold meals.

Traditionally we use stoves for our groups, but the ovens are too small. If you are using propane stoves with large groups you will also need skillets as wide as the stove so you can use both burners to prepare items like grilled cheese or eggs. You will benefit from using stock pots large enough to prepare all of your soup or stew needs in one or two pots... We do bake items like potatoes in open fires normally.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International

Post subject: Camp ovens
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:51 pm 
New Friend

Thank you so much for the advice about the oven. I have only been camping twice and I am trying to find new and easier ways to cook food for about 20 kids. I like the idea of the oven made out of metal and cooking over log fire. Thanks alot! :D

Post subject: Re: Camp Ovens
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 3:42 pm 
Yes, the advice is nice! Whenever we go camping, as in just my family, we take our 5th wheel. And my dad is the planner usually.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:50 pm 
Master Guide

This is the stove that our club uses (basically). You can find them at almost any mainstream sporting goods store. It's a Two Burner Propane Stove, they work pretty well...

they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze”
Isaiah 43:1-3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:56 am 
Master Guide

I removed that word from the censor list so the link now works. Since we upgraded to PHPBB 3.0, we haven't had problems with spammers, and we've never had a problem with legitimate members. Since the moderators visit here frequently, I think we can run with this particular pair of scissors.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:31 am 
Astute Guide

The stove that our club uses is basically that same design as well.

"The union of all strengthens the work of each." ~Ellen G. White, 1SM 84.3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:17 am 
Master Guide

I grew up on the white gas stoves like this one. And yes I know that the one in the link is propane. I am just headed out the door to go to work, so I took the closest look-a-like. Just imagine a red tank on the front with the classical "thumb pump."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:09 pm 
Master Guide

They actually make those stoves in a three burner design as well, and you can buy griddles that fit across the whole stove. That makes cooking pancakes, hashbrowns, etc... a lot easier!

you will not be burned;

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:19 pm 
Master Guide

Actually, mine is a 3 burner. I don't have a griddle for it though. I wish I did, but I don't use that stove much anymore. Our family always used it, but we haven't gone camping in a while. Now, I mostly use my backpacking stove (which is broken and needs to be replaced).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:54 pm 
Master Guide

You should try a soda can stove. You can build your first one in under an hour for zero cost, and they work as well, if not better than, commercially available offerings.

http://ygingras.net/b/2007/6/a-better-soda-can-stove

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:43 pm 
Master Guide

I have one of those! It's pretty awesome! My unit made them on a campout a few years back, we had to drink the soda before we could make them... let me tell you, It was a rowdy bunch of kids making stoves! (Don't try it that way if you plan to do this with your kids... )

They work really well, you just have to be careful with them, they are so light it'd be easy to knock it over, definitely have to have a separate grate to cook on...

you will not be burned;

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:05 pm 
Master Guide

I keep mine in the my mess kit, so it's fairly well protected from knocks (surrounded by three layers of stainless steel). I also keep the penny in there with it. They are easy to tip over though, so care must be exercised.

The other thing to be aware of is that alcohol flames can be nearly invisible in daylight conditions. When we first made these, I had no trouble at all seeing the flame, so I figured those warnings were just a bit over the top. But then when we were using them on a river beach, we learned that it is indeed a real danger. I guess the lighting was different, but the flame was absolutely invisible. One of my Pathfinders thought his had gone out, so he began pouring more alcohol into it. The flame followed the stream right into the can. I was able to get the cap back on and the flame went out, but the plastic cap melted to the point where it would no longer close. We ended up pouring the alcohol that was still left in that canister into everyone else's containers (no one had room to take it all).

The lesson here is to hold your hand over the stove and slowly move it towards the flame jets. If you feel heat, you have flame. Don't assume that there is no flame just because you can't see it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:07 am 
Master Guide

Ya, alcohol is no joke when it's burning. It can burn you really bad if you aren't careful. If you've ever seen Formula-1 Racing and seen one of the guys on the pit crew start flailing and other guys start beating him with blankets and spraying him with extinguishers, he was on fire. I've seen it once or twice, the flames are invisible, but really hot.

Make sure your pathfinders are well aware of the danger of fire and stoves before you show them how to build these stoves...

Here's a link to some more Alcohol Stoves, some very interesting designs, all look good!

you will not be burned;

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:09 am 
Master Guide

So... if we're gonna keep talking about Alcohol Stoves, we should move to the topic on Alcohol Stoves...

(just realized it exsisted...)

you will not be burned;

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:53 pm 
Astute Guide

well, since this topic is called camp ovens, I will ask a question about ovens... Has anybody heard of, or better yet, tried the camping ovens that you set on top of a camp stove to bake things in? I think it looks like a really cool idea, and was just wondering if anybody had tried one of them?

Explorer Counselor
Master Guide