Are you a member of ACMA?
Yes 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
No 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
What is ACMA? 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 10
 Post subject: ACMA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:33 pm 
Master Guide

I have to share this because I think it will matter to us all inspite of it not being a Pathfinder thing.

The NAD Children's Ministry Department sponsors ACMA the Adventist Children's Ministries Association. I am a member, myself and apparently few others. I mention this here because as Pathfinder Staff, parents and Pathfinders we are (most of us) affected not only by the activities of the NADYM but also CM. Sabbath School and other "youth" children's functions are supported by Children's Ministries.

ACMA not only needs more members to help mold the development and future of these matters/programs/(organization) but it needs people willing to serve on the board. I was surprised to find that only one person was nominated to serve in the current election (this month Dec 2005 and there are three seats open) with over 600 members. It surprises me even more (as I have contact with all of you and many more PF, Adventurer and CM bodies) that I recognize only a handful of the names on the membership list.

I suspect that ACMA [membership] is [not] what everyone needs and serving on the board is for an even smaller group, I just ask that people consider wether it is right for them and their ministry (and their kids).

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International

omission - fish

Last edited by fish on Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: ACMA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:18 pm 
Site Admin

Hello fish,

Users may wonder about how to contact ACMA for registration / further information. Do you have information that we might find useful?

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:06 pm 
Master Guide

Mark, Long time.

Yes, ACMA is officially a part of the Children's Ministry Department not Youth Ministries.

The association is open to all who wish to become members and benefit from resources and having a voice. There is a one time membership fee ($35.00 I think) for a life time and it gives access to a website, physical resources library for members, and training/local charters. Also group email availability and what should become expanded access to the CM Forum.

Although ACMA is 10 there are only 616 members and as a result things have happened slowly. One good thing is for those interested there is a certification program, I would class it as PLA level training focusing more on outside of Pathfinder/Adventurer ministries and on young children. It does cover a host of areas including programming, learning types, and worship. I am enjoying it and for those who enjoy ever advancing their experience it is worth while.

The ACMA Board is made up of five defacto members including the director of CM and Brad Forbes of AdventSource. The other nine members are elected from the general membership. There are 3 positions opening for three years now and 3 each year after. This extended term is to help give the board stability and it is hoped allow them to help CM develop stronger initiatives and resources. In many ways what is on the horizon for NADCM is much what NADYM went through with the begining of the era of Elders Middag and Black, and dedicated input is needed to help that growth.

NADCM is located at http://www.childmin.com and ACMA is at http://www.acma-online.org ; the ACMA website has almost nothing one can access without being a member though you can access the benefits/about page. For those who want to ask specific questions the NADCM office can be contacted directly by phone, if people want the number they can email me.

Chris