Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Flags
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:23 pm 
New Friend

Does anyone know the ranking of importance of the following flags and where I can find the information online? The National, Christian Flag, Pathfinder Flag, State Flag, and AY Flag.

I am teaching the Friends class in our Pathfinder Club and figured I should know the order in case one of my kids asks. I know that the National Flag is number one in importance, but how the rest of them follow in order I am not sure. Please Help if you can.

Post subject: Re: Flags
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:05 pm 
Master Guide

I looked through the US Flag Code, but it only indicates the rank of the US flag (highest) and does not deal with the relative ranking of other flags. Unless I missed it.

There is information in the Flags Honor answer sheet on the Wiki.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:44 pm 
New Friend

Thanks, I have already looked at the Flag honor and it didn't really give an answer that was too specific. I think the main two it was missing was the State and Christian Flag ranking.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:56 pm 
Master Guide

This link, says national, state, military (by order of creation date), other.

If we follow the principal of the creation date giving a military flag priority, then the Christian flag would come next (1897), followed by AY and PF. But of course, that's all conjecture!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:10 pm 
New Friend

Oh ok can you send me that link by any chance?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:49 pm 
Master Guide

It in the word "link" in the previous post. Or here:
http://www.americanflags.org/docs/etiqu ... 9362386232

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:38 pm 
New Friend

Oh Okay thanks I'll check it out.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:27 pm 
Helpful Explorer

To my way of thinking the order would be: National Flag--- State Flag (Some countries don't have states or sometimes don't display them in parades). Provincial flags are similar to state flags for those countries that do not have states but provinces---military flags ( but on occasions the military flag would be before a state flag if the flag was for a national unit)--- Organisation flag (red cross, Pathfinder, fire department, Christian Flag etc.
Organisations flags are equal in importance. A Pathfinder club would present a Pathfinder Flag and not a Christian Flag. If your group was a group of Christians you may present a Christian flag. If you chose to have both the PF flag and a Christian flag the PF flag representing your club would naturally take precedence. A group of Christians not associated to a PF club would not be eligible to present a PF flag.

Fiordland wanderer
Invercargill
Home of the Fastest Indian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:35 pm 
Helpful Explorer

I have just completed the Flag Honour. A great honour to do. People in the NAD have it easy. One of the questions is to provide pictures of all the National flags represented in your Division. So you would have : Canada, USA, Amercian Samoa, Guam. And that's about it. In the SPD we have heeps and heeps. Every Island in the South Pacific seems to classify themselves as a country and have their own flag. I had 28 flags.

Fiordland wanderer
Invercargill
Home of the Fastest Indian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:18 pm 
Participating Companion

I know this is an older post, but I have been wondering whether the Adventist Church has a specific position on the use of the Christian Flag on pulpits and in ceremonies. There is an active debate, even within many Christian denominations, as to whether the Christian Flag should take precedence above the American Flag, despite the U.S. Flag Code. There was in the 1930s the creation of a Christian Flag Code, but this is voluntary, and not universally accepted. I have been in Adventist churches with the Christian Flag in the place of honor (to the right of the American Flag) and where the American Flag has the place of honor (to the right of the Christian Flag). The argument for the former is that God is higher than Man, for the latter is "Render unto Caesar" as God doesn't claim or need a flag. As an Area Coordinator, it is a question that is also being asked of me, and I am seeking "higher authority" if there is any regarding an official position on, well, position of flags.

US Flag Code: http://www.usflag.org/uscode36.html#36
A discussion from Christian Heritage Fellowship: http://christianheritagefellowship.com/fly-christian-flag/
(Note: I do not endorse this site, am just pointing to the discussion it contains)
A similar unresolved discussion on the USA-Flag_Site Forum from 2 years ago: http://www.usa-flag-site.org/forum/threads/christian-flag.50/

Central Texas Pathfinders
[url]ctxpathfinders.org[/url]

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."
-John Muir

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:18 pm 
Participating Companion

The US flag code should be honored or whatever its equivalent in other countries. Flags are man-made inventions, used to help identify distinct divisions and groups of people. Stating that the Christian flag should be higher than the country flag is putting an idea not supported Biblically. The Bible stated we are represented by the blood of Christ and His seal, nothing else. I do not see anything incorrect about wanting to have a banner or Christian flag, but I don't believe we should place a higher value on it as if it was God-ordained. This is why I think flag code should always be observed.