Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:11 pm 
New Friend

Ok, I have many questions since I'm still a new director. Still wet behind the ear. :lol: Do you ever give the class pin at investiture in 'trust' when they only have a memory verse or two to finish or some other little thing left?

Thanks,
Tiffany Thomas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:07 am 
Master Guide

That's a hard one. I'd say you probably shouldn't do that, but admit that I have done it myself. It depends on the recipient, and on the situation. If I really do fully trust them to finish it up, I am more likely to do this. But I have witheld insignia in the past for lack of a single "easy" requirement. In that case I remind the person that they are very close, and that I am ready to give it out when they finish.

I often invest kids during induction. I have also had kids recite a memory verse to me minutes before we march in for the Investiture service.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:50 pm 
New Friend

I have to agree with what jomegat said. I've also done the same before I had a bad experience for which the Pathfinder refused to complete the requirement. I had a tough time explaining to his parents and thank God finally they accepted and helped the boy to complete the requirement. It is always better to withhold but it depends on scenarios as well.

I had once faced a scenario for which I accepted to invest in trust for some members as the only requirement was CPR and we had to reschedule the training to a date after the investiture service. Since I know the training will definitely happen and it wasn't fault on the Pathfinder's part. I think it is always best to consult with Senior Directors/Master Guides before deciding.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:12 am 
Participating Companion

If it can be helped, pins or patches should not be given in «trust». It can start a trend for the Pathfinder(s) and they might think they can get away with it again in the future. In the next Investiture, another Pathfinder might do the same and claim unfairness if they are not awarded their pin. It is also dishonest on the part of the staff. The pin signifies completion and fulfillment of all requirements.

My suggestion would be to purchase the investiture item but not award it until it can be demonstrated that the remaining requirements have been completed. As director, I have usually relied on my counselors to let me know who is ready to be invested or not. I allow them to review and check for completion and they report to me so I can obtain the Investiture items. Sometimes I will review a specific case with the counselor, but it is a rare occurrence.

Last edited by w126jep on Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:08 am 
Master Guide

I withheld insignia from three kids this year. They made up the work after Investiture, and I gave them the insignia a few days ago - AFTER they finished their work. I will not award on "trust" again - not because I was bitten, but because it is the right thing to do.