Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:53 pm 
New Friend

What are the requirements for Good Conduct Award(GCA)? How many (rough percentage compared to total pathfinders in club) do you give out in a year? How is the GCA different than "Pathfinder of the year"? What are the requirement for Pathfinder of the year? Does the Pathfinder of the year get a pin/certificate or anything for the recognition?

Thanks,

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:36 am 
Master Guide

Both of those are spelled out in the Staff Manual, and I don't have one available to me at the moment,so my answers should not be taken as authoritative.

I give GCA to any PF who has demonstrated good conduct. This means earning at least 75% of the non-extra-credit merit points awarded during the year, and not having behavioral issues that result in disciplinary action. That's usually 75-90% of the club.

For Pathfinder of the Year, I consult the staff before making a decision. We look at a variety of factors, including the merit points (which should be excellent), but it also includes other factors. We look for someone who will be invested in their Advanced class (but do not require it). Have they worked on honors outside of meetings? Have they been particularly helpful during campouts and meetings? Do they volunteer for "unpleasant" tasks? Do they complain, or engage in backtalk? Do they treat the other PF's with kindness and compassion? We also tend to not award it to the same kid twice, but that is not a hard and fast rule.

We talk about all of these things, and then all the staff members write down a ranking from 1-10 for each PF we are considering. Then we tally the scores, and see if we have consensus for the kid with the highest number.

I hope that helps.