Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:03 pm 
Site Admin

On July 15, 2011, Pathfinder pioneer and author of the International Pathfinder theme song "Pathfinder Strong," died in Oakhurst, CA, USA, according to his daughter, Judi.

Pathfinders around the globe have sung this often translated, more often sung song "Oh we are the Pathfinder’s Strong, the servants of God are we, faithful as we march along, in kindness, truth and purity. A message to tell to the world, a truth that will set us free, King Jesus the Savior’s coming back, for you and me….." in hundreds of Pathfinder Clubs, Churches and Camporees the words and music to this song given to a young youth director in 1948 will continue to be our theme song for Pathfinders around the world.
On July 15, 2011 at Oakhurst, California the author and friend of Pathfinders, Henry T. Bergh closed his eyes in the blessed hope of Jesus Second Coming.
Read More: http://www.pathfindersonline.org/index.php/en/history/26-stories-from-our-history/249-pathfinder-strong-song-author-henry-t-bergh-last-pathfinder-pioneer-passes-away-at-93-in-california.html

Did you ever meet Henry T. Bergh? Where, when?
Did you know him personally? Tell us a story!
How has his ministry, song, or Pathfinder contributions blessed you?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:18 pm 
Site Admin

I met Pr. Bergh in 1998 at the Master Guide Conference in LA, USA. I have a photo with him somewhere....

He seemed to be a very genuine man. I enjoyed watching him assist in singing the Pathfinder Song during the Church service.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:43 am 
New Friend

Henry T Bergh was my dad's first cousin, (my first cousin once removed). Dad is 90 and his sister is 88, the last remaining of Henry's 33 cousins. For my dad, Henry was the last cousin to pass away. We attended Henry's 90th birthday event in Oakhurst on May 24, 2008. At the end of church service, he baptized my youngest son Alexander who was then age 13. This was probably Henry's last baptism. His grandson Melvin assisted bring Alex up into his new life, in case it was too much strain on his back. He took him down into the water by himself though. Even though in his later years, his voice seemed weak and strained, at the baptism the voice of his strong years returned loud and very clear! I was in awe to see how the Holy Spirit filled him in this mission. He was also able to procure a room for his cousin Jean at the Little Creek Sanitarium in Knoxville, where her daughter had not been able to.
Miriam Jackson-Bergh, his wife, is a relative of my maternal grandmother, so I am related by blood to both of them, but they are related to each other only by marriages. Marriage to each other and in-laws of my grandmother. Henry's parents were Paul and Anna Meyer- Bergh. He also had a sister, Phyllis Bergh Hull. Anna had 2 sisters and 7 brothers. Her favorite brother was Henry (my grandpa). She named her only son in his honor.
At the birthday event, Henry's achievements is a very long list, with Pathfinders being the most pronounced. He had also been an evangelist, and camp director at Wawona. He even managed to convince the US govt to pave the road to Leoni Meadows SDA camp in Grizzly Flats, at cost to govt of $2.million as the road goes through govt forest land.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:57 am 
Master Guide

Thanks for sharing that Marlene. I wish I could have met him, but I'm sure I will when Jesus returns.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:39 pm 
Site Admin

Marlene, your story is really cool. What great memories for all involved!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:21 pm 
Site Admin

Dixie Plata posted on Pathfinder Club North American Division Youth & Young Adults Department's Facebook Wall.
"The memorial service for Elder Henry T. Bergh is to be held on Sabbath August 27 at Camp Wawona at 10:00 AM in California"