[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Pathfindersonline • View topic - Bugle honour - Bugling in Pathfinders ?

Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:03 pm 
Skillful Ranger

I have been wondering if Bugling has ever been a part of the Pathfinders clubs ? Boy Scouts have a bugling merit badge.

I don't see an honor in the current list of all honors.

Has there ever been one in the past ?

Since there is a Drumming and Percussion honor now, would it make sense to work on the requirements to add one ?

Even without an honor, have Pathfinders ever used bugles ?

Sounding of the horn, was a common thread in the Bible.

Comment please!

Thank You

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:28 am 
Master Guide

I think that would make an excellent honor. Bugling has potential as an outreach activity too. My wife's grandfather was a WWII vet, so the U.S. Army was obligated to send a bugler to his funeral. Only they don't have enough buglers to cover all the funerals. Instead, they sent a couple of guys with a boombox. My understanding is that they are also using bugles with electronic playback devices in them so that the "bugler" puts it to his mouth, presses a key, and out comes Taps. Ugh. It would be so much better if we had an army of Pathfinder buglers who would volunteer to play Taps at veteran's funerals in full dress uniforms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:56 am 
Skillful Ranger

Yes that's true and exactly the reason I got thinking about the idea.

There's already a volunteer organization working on linking buglers to people who need them. See my post in the uniform section on this topic too.

http://xeml.buglesacrossamerica.org/

http://www.pathfindersonline.org/forum/ ... .php?t=905

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:58 am 
Master Guide

The reason I was thinking about that is probably because of your thread back there. Guess I'm getting old!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:59 am 
Master Guide

It has not been an official part, that is it has never been a part of any practice in a manual. We have taken advantage of trumpet players over the years but I am not certain I remember ever having anyone in the conference with an actual bugle.

I like where you guys are headed with this idea, keep talking it over.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:25 pm 
Skillful Ranger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:05 pm 
Helpful Explorer

On national pathfinders camps in Norway we used to wake up to someone blowing his horn. He also blew a flag raising and the signal for peace in the camp in the evening.
He didn't blow when we lowered the flag, since this usually was during the evening meeting, and there was no ceremony in lowering the flags - the people in charge just went out and lowered the flags at the correct time.
It was rather annoying with that noise early in the morning, but it worked! and everybody were out of their sleepingbags in proper time for morning prayer and flag raising at 8 o'clock sharp.
It was very nice to hear the sound of the horn in the evening, when we had got most of the pathfinders to rest in their sleepingbags, and the tranquil and melodious sounds from the horn was heard through the camp.
Nice memories, too.
But we never had an honor for that - just someone talented in music.

Lupus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:15 pm 
Skillful Ranger

Hey Thanks for letting me know Lupus!

It's good to know that somewhere, sometime, this has in fact been done.

Guess we need a Patfhinder Bugler manual next. hmmmm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:07 pm 
So, who is going to make the honor? :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:25 am 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD
I don't think a honor is best for every new and uncharted area. I wouldn't mind there being a manual for bugling though.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:55 pm 
Skillful Ranger

Found this today.

"Club Bugler

If your club has a pathfinder or a staff member who can play the bugle, have
him learn the various bugle calls and play them for your meetings and campouts.
Records of the bugle calls can be purchased from record stores or ordered through
your conference youth director."

pg. 221 - Programming aids.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:14 pm 
Site Admin

Wow, which edition of the guide is that? Records? Sounds like its from the 70's :) I am SO GLAD that not too many play the bugle, can you imagine an International Camporee with a few thousand of those playing Reville or Taps at slightly different times and cadences?!

I do wish that we had a FEW more since it seems to be a dying art form.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:14 pm 
Site Admin

Wow, which edition of the guide is that? Records? Sounds like its from the 70's :) I am SO GLAD that not too many play the bugle, can you imagine an International Camporee with a few thousand of those playing Reville or Taps at slightly different times and cadences?!

I do wish that we had a FEW more since it seems to be a dying art form.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:26 am 
Participating Companion

I used to play for club campouts and played for some of the flag ceremonies for Pennsylvania at the Friendship Camporee in '89. I even had a bugle for a while, rather than the trumpet, but it had a bad accident and was unusable after that :)

Even without an honor, I like to have the bugle or trumpet at flag ceremonies. It adds solemnity, and keeps people focused and quieter. Just be sure people know what to play. Was a a camporee a year ago, and their trumpeter only knew reveille, which he played for flag raising and lowering. ...

You can listen to the different bugle calls here (http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/), and practice by ear.

-R

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:46 am 
Skillful Ranger

I fund the date, it's in the 1980 Staff Manual.
Section heading: "Add Sparkle to Your Pathfinder Club"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:41 pm 
Master Guide

I would imagine that if bugling took off in the NAD, that there wouldn't be a problem with every club having a bugler playing at the same time during an International Camporee. I would expect that each Union (or local conference) would have one, selected from the pool of club buglers - just like for flag raising.

I think I'd like it a lot too! We have one guy in our conference who sometimes brings a horn (trumpet or bugle, I don't recall). I wish he'd bring it more often.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:33 am 
Skillful Ranger

I found another reference to bugle calls in a book called "planning a camporee" or something like that. (It's on my other computer right now)
Anyway I was reminded to get busy and at least write up a guide book for Pathfinders or other buglers to use to know what to do.

Then I was reminded again today.

I put on my Pathfinder uniform, and attended my local Remembrance Day ceremonies. I have been playing "Last Post" and "The Rouse" bugle calls for my city for the two minutes of silence for quite a few years now. One of the attending vets asked me if I was going to play the "Canadian Taps" or the "American Taps"? I knew what he meant, was "Last Post", but then he told me he had attended a school ceremony earlier in the week, and had been surprised to hear "Taps" played in Canada. I guess I'll take this conversation as a sign that info needs to be communicated on this topic.

.... and how better to prepare Pathfinder musicians for a small community service?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:36 am 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:05 pm 
Skillful Ranger

It would have to be one of the requirements that includes another option, as I would not expect all Pathfinders working on communications to learn the trumpet. Also I would reword it to be international in nature. Taps and Reveille are USA specific in nature.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:25 am 
Skillful Ranger

From The Atlantic Gleaner Sep. 23, 1986 – Vol. LXXXV No. 18

"French camp meeting was combined with daily sessions for Pathfinders which began with a 6:00 a.m. bugle call to exercise sessions by the pool."

Wow! 6:00 AM exercises - wahoo!