Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Glass Painting
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:00 pm 
Helpful Explorer

I am struggling with the second requirement: Know the materials used in painting, mounting, and hanging a glass painting.
I have read several books on the subject and have Leland and Linda Davis helps (1992 editon). They only cover the materials part of the question and I have been able to find quite a bit on that subject. I am really struggling with the mounting and hanging part of the process. Is it any different for a glass painting than any other picture?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:35 pm 
Master Guide

Try this:

http://www.hut.fi/~avierine/artik.htm

Buried several paragraphs in, there is a good description of one method. Often they are displayed in stands but still require a border for safety sake. Some are hung as windows and some were windows using the window frame to hang the painting. All in all this method of Glass Art is equal to Stained Glass when framing and hanging.

Hope this helps,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:57 pm 
Site Admin

Here is some additional information for this honor from a Pathfinder leader friend of mine named Andi from Ga-Cumberland Conference. She taught me these honors back when I was much younger. . . .

Mounting and hanging a glass painting. The way I have done it is this. I usually buy at a dollar store frames with glass in it and that way you have a frame already for the glass. This is good for the pictures that are landscapes and such. Another way is getting matboards in different colors (a lot of frame shops will donate them if they know what it is being used for, ie.
Pathfinders, church youth groups, etc.) The matboards should be cut to fit the glass and then use different colors of duct tape (great for lots of things!) Duct tape comes in all kinds of colors: black, white, blue, yellow, green, red, brown, are only some of the colors. Tape the edges of the glass and matboards, creating you "own frame". Also use aluminum foil or colored cellophane paper as the backing of the pictures, tape to hold it all together as a frame.
Hanging them depends on the backing you use. A matboard can have a glue on picture hook put on it. If it is aluminum foil or cellophane paper you may want to use a stand (like plates are put on). Even aluminum foil could have a poster board as the backing to protect the foil.
Poster board is thinner than matboard and can be used also. Check out the colors of posterboards, matboards, etc. The colors will changes the look of the picture
Have you thought of painting on glass plates, vases, bowls, etc. These work well too.