Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Sun May 26, 2019 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 360 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:07 pm 
Master Guide

Answers to the House Painting, Interior honor are finished now. This takes us up to 259 honors out of 366. That's just over 70% which is pretty good I'd say!

This honor, plus its Exterior counterpart and the Paper Hanging honor used to all be one and the same honor called House Painting. They were separated into Housepainting and Paper Hanging in 1944, and then discontinued in 1956. They were re-introduced in 2002 as three distinct honors.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:07 pm 
Master Guide

After something of a hiatus on the Answer Book, I dug in and did some work tonight to finish off the Canoe Building honor.

When I first saw the name of this honor I was pretty excited because I built a canoe in 1998. It took me five months, and I took it on its maiden voyage the day after Thanksgiving. However, the canoe I built is nothing like the ones in the honor.

The honor is from the South Pacific Division, specifically from the Island Edition. The requirements there are to build a dugout canoe, and that it a whole 'nother kettle of fish! This honor took quite a bit of research to document. I still haven't made a dugout, and the odds of me ever making one seem pretty slim. I just don't have access to large enough trees.

Still, it is a fascinating honor.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:26 am 
Master Guide

jomegat wrote:
After something of a hiatus on the Answer Book, I dug in and did some work tonight to finish off the Canoe Building honor.

The honor is from the South Pacific Division, specifically from the Island Edition. The requirements there are to build a dugout canoe, and that it a whole 'nother kettle of fish! This honor took quite a bit of research to document. I still haven't made a dugout, and the odds of me ever making one seem pretty slim. I just don't have access to large enough trees.

Still, it is a fascinating honor.

I think since is from the SPD, we should be allowed for us to do a small replica of it for display. Of course, finding the proper materials for it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:43 am 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD
After looking at the braiding honor, it looks to be complete. It appears to have answers for every requirement. Is there something that still needs to be done for that honor to be completed?

I've also added a little to the model cars honor. Let me know what else you would like added for that honor to be completed.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:10 pm 
Master Guide

You're right about the Braiding Honor. I have marked it as complete. I thought the Model Cars honor looked good enough to call "done" as well, though if we could flesh out the last requirement without an off-site referral, it would be better self-contained.

There are still a couple of bike-related honors that could use some TLC too. Also Rock Climbing and Drilling & Marching - Advanced.

There's PLENTY still left to do!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:51 pm 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD
I'll work on the model cars and them see what else I can do...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:10 pm 
Master Guide

Sometime during the winter I wrote up the answers to the new Snowshoeing honor. I have also made substantial progress on the Snowshoeing - Advanced honor, but there is one requirement that I can't seem to find any information on:

Quote:
2.Explain 10 different kinds of snowflakes and their influence on snowshoeing.

I've spent a good deal of this winter in my snowshoes, and I have experienced a wide variety of snow conditions. But I don't think I can categorize them into ten kinds. Also, I'm not sure that "snowflakes" is the right term in the requirement, because once the snow has been on the ground for a while, the type of snowflake that fell to put it there seems of little consequence. In other words, the snow changes significantly as it sits there regardless of the type of flake that formed it in the first place.

I've still got a foot of snow on the ground in the woods at my house, so I''m still enjoying my snowshoes. In fact, I've been using them pretty much every day (including today) to go check on my maple syrup bucket (I have one tree big enough to tap - that doesn't make a lot of syrup, but it's still fun to do).

These are some of the snow conditions I've encountered:
*Fluffy powder - my snowshoes would still sink a good eight-ten inches in this stuff, but since it was three feet deep, it was still better to have the shoes.
*Fluffy powder over ice - here, the powder was only six inches deep, but beneath that was hard, wind-packed snow.
*Wind-packed drifts - Shoes might sink a couple of centimeters.
*Snow plowed drifts - this is the snow piled up on the side of the road. I chose to walk on it rather than the road, because the "clack-clack-clack" of my wooden shoes on the pavement was so unpleasant sounding. I can't imagine that it was good for the shoes either.
*Frozen crust - there were times when I would think that I wouldn't break through even without snowshoes, until my dog did break through. Other times... it really was too crusty to break through. This was actually some of the most challenging snow to walk on, because the shoes would break through the surface and then the tip of the shoe would catch on the underside of the crust as I tried to lift it out for the next step. These are conditions under which I did most of my falling.
*Granules - this is what I have for the most part now. It's very wet snow. Today I stepped on a pile of snow next to a vernal pool, and the whole bank collapsed into the water. My foot was nearly soaked.
*Wet, heavy snow - this stuff was easy. It compressed a couple of inches.
*Snowmobile trails - We didn't even leave tracks at all on these. They were pretty well packed (groomed even). In fact one of the trail groomers fell through the ice on a pond near my house. The two guys escaped and they had to bring in a crew from the Department of Environmental Services to fish it out. A trail groomer is a big machine - bigger than a Zamboni even.
There is also the difference between walking on a previously-broken trail vs untrodden snow. The former is by far easier. I've also noticed that it stays firmer as winter fades.

Well what do you know - that's about eight categories of snow conditions. Maybe if I think about it some more, I can finish this one off too. But if anyone else thinks of something, let me know.

One more note: I really enjoyed making the survival snowshoes as depicted in the Advanced honor (those are my photos). I had read about two different styles of improvised snowshoes and tried them both. Only one style actually worked. If interested, you can read about them on my blog here and here.

Fun times.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:46 am 
Master Guide

Answers to the Flower Arrangement honor are now complete, thanks to the efforts of Bluescifiworm. She taught the honor to our club last month and took numerous photographs of the arrangements the Pathfinders created.

It has been a while since I've updated this thread, so it's great to be able to plug another one. Thanks Bluescifiworm!

Another change we've made this year is to add every honor to the list on the front page. That list started out as a list of honors with comprehensive answers, but as it grew and grew, people began telling me that such-and-such honor was missing from the Wiki. Well... it wasn't missing, it just didn't have comprehensive answers yet. But since many people just assumed that's what the list was, I decided to make it so. So the list on the front page includes every honor now, whether we have it fully answered on the Wiki or not.

There are still more honors that need work, so if you have expertise you'd be willing to share, please contribute! Don't worry about making a mess, because I know how to clean them up, and love doing that. In the master list on the front page there is a little icon next to each honor indicating its level of completion. You are free to edit any honor though, even the ones that are complete. We want these honor answers to be continually updated so that they never fall out-of-date. That's impossible with a printed answer book, but very possible with the online version.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:16 am 
Skillful Ranger

Thanks, Jomegat :)

I was really excited when you asked me to teach for Honors Week, so that was the first to come to mind. Not only is it something I really enjoy, but the Pathfinders loved it too! Who knew that the boys would get really excited about playing with flowers? :lol: All the kids did a terrific job, and I'm so glad that we were able to document their work. The arrangements turned out amazing, and having the pictures allowed me to complete fleshing out the Honor wiki entry - that has been a project of mine for quite some time that I can finally cross off my list. I also kinda gave a plug of my own - check under requirement 8 of the Flower Arrangement honor :)

Now to find more honors to give a little TLC to! :)

Central NH Flames

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:53 pm 
Master Guide

There has been a flurry of activity over on the Wiki this summer.

First, we have added the 13 new honors approved by the NAD back in February. You can get a list here. We also found a few that for one reason or another were approved a year or two ago, but never made it onto the wiki (or anywhere else as far as I know). Those include Backpacking - Advanced and Prayer - Advanced. There may be others - I've been so busy pouring data into the wiki that the details have blurred together.

In addition to the new honors, I have automated the "honor counts" - this was done manually before, as there was no obvious way to automate it. But after 9 years (!) of the honors wiki, I finally came up with something that works pretty well. So we can say with confidence that the Wiki now features 424 honors. Cool!

I also fixed the table of contents box - on the old wiki, we could collapse those, but this wasn't working on the NAD wiki. I chased that down and fixed it. It had been bugging me for a while.

And once the "collapsible elements" bug was resolved, I added another feature - an "Honor Sequels" box in each honor. If you expand that box, you will see a list of honors for which the one you're looking at is a prerequisite. In other words, once you've earned a particular honor, (say... Rocks and Minerals) what honors might you want to work on next that require you to have R&M as a prerequisite? The answer is in the "Honor Sequels" box. In this case,

*Rocks & Minerals - Advanced
*Geological Geocaching
*Meteorites (new in 2014)

This feature is also fully automated, so it will always be up-to-date.

There were also about two dozen honors whose Skill Level were unknown. That has been whittled down to five, and I suspect those are honors whose skill levels were never formally established. We've also added more insignia.

In short, if you are still using the old site at WIkibooks, you should really think about switching over to the new one at http://wiki.pathfindersonline.org - I am no longer maintaining the old one. I still check it for vandalism on a regular basis, and I also import edits made there into the NAD wiki, but we are not adding any new honors or features there. The new one is where it's at!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 360 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15