Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 360 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:05 am 
Master Guide

Wow!!! That's really cool....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:17 pm 
Skillful Ranger

The Lettering & Poster Making honor is now filed as complete as well.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:30 pm 
Master Guide

Fantastic! I really like your contrast graphics.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:06 am 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD
When I downloaded PDF books, I found that some of the honors were missing requirments. (I did not check the PDF agaist the requirments, as I have limited internet time. Thus, I could be wrong.)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:58 pm 
Master Guide

Hey VP - explain what you mean by downloading PDF's. If you mean the Collections, they have to be created manually, and I haven't had time to do that yet for all the honors. If you mean something else, please tell me! Or if there are some honors you particularly want PDF's of, lemme know and I'll make it a priority.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:50 am 
Master Guide

Yes. I meant collections (like Nature Honors, etc). All of the honors downloaded in the PDF format, but requirements were missing when I looked at the collections, versus looking at them online. Everything looks to be in order when on the web.

What do you mean you have to create those manually? Do you have to recreate each honor for the collection?

I was just going to use wiki because then I didn't have to do as much searching for as many answers. I've been using the NAD website for the requirements.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:33 am 
Master Guide

Honors have to be added to the Collections manually. It's not that hard, but it's not automatic. I don't have to recreate the answers or anything like that - I just have to tell it which honors I want in the collection (which is all of them in a series generally).

Once a collection has been created, a PDF can be rendered. Any changes made to the honors in the collection are automatically updated in the PDF at render time, so that's nice. You can also buy a bound copy from PediaPress, but for some honor series, that process is fraught with difficulty.

There is a page limit for bound and printed books (something like 500 pages). When the system renders for the print-on-demand process, it uses wider margins (which is typical for printed books), so the page count jumps up by about 20%. The Nature Series turns into something like 800 pages, so it will have to be printed in two volumes, and I haven't decided how to divide it up! I thought about dividing it alphabetically, by skill level, or by standard vs advanced. I think alphabetically would be best, but I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

When you say that the requirements are not rendered, do you mean the table of contents drop-down box at the beginning of each honor (right after the header box)? If so, that's being supressed intentionally. I can change that though if you like. For me, it was just in the way. The requirements should still be there, it's just that they appear in bold at the beginning of each section.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:54 am 
Master Guide

I think that's the way that they appear on the official Answer Books.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:18 am 
Master Guide

I gotcha (about the collection thing). As for the missing requirements, no it isn't the table of contents. Instead it was the requirments on the page(s). For example, it might start with requirement number 2 or skip requirement number 5 (something like that). It did that for me at least (maybe about 2 weeks ago).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:46 am 
Master Guide

Sounds like maybe someone did what we call an "unproductive edit." Do you remember which honor? I could look at the edit history to confirm.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:01 am 
Master Guide

I have a list somewhere, but I'll have to get back to you on that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:29 pm 
Master Guide

It seems like it has been quite some time since I finished compiling answers for an honor, so tonight, you get two:
Wilderness Leadership and Advanced.

I get to announce them both at the same time because they were finished at the same time, which is a little unusual. In this case, the key is requirement 4 of the advanced honor:
Quote:
Demonstrate some skills necessary for wilderness leadership in two of the follow­ing areas not completed for the Wilderness Leadership Honor:

This section has identical answers to the corresponding section in the basic honor.

A lot of the material for these was taken from the U.S. Army Survival Field Manual, FM21-76, which is in the public domain (meaning I can borrow from it freely). This manual is definitely worth a read if you ever intend to spend any time in the wilderness.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:07 am 
Master Guide

jomegat wrote:
A lot of the material for these was taken from the U.S. Army Survival Field Manual, FM21-76, which is in the public domain (meaning I can borrow from it freely). This manual is definitely worth a read if you ever intend to spend any time in the wilderness.

Thanks jomegat. Will bookmark that website to read it later

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:06 pm 
Master Guide

I just finished off the answers to the new (approved in 2009) Camp Safety honor. My only beef with this honor is requirement 11, but I needn't go into that here. (My comments about it are available on wiki).

I think this may be the first honor approved in 2009 with complete answers, but I could be wrong about that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:52 pm 
Master Guide

Answers for the new Camp Safety - Advanced honor are now available as well. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:15 pm 
Master Guide

Answers for the Outdoor Leadership - Advanced honor are now ready. The last requirement could still use some attention, as it's one of those things that say "do one of the following." We have instruction for several of those options, but not all of them. But there's enough there that the honor could be taught, and that's my criteria for calling it complete.

As of the 8th of this month (October) we are fully four years into this project, and this particular honor marks the 250th one to be completed. Wow. That's a lot of honors! But there are still more than 100 to go. I exhausted my expertise long ago, so it's driven by research now. We desperately need more people to work on this project, so I invite you all to come over and adopt an honor. Or two. Add some answers and don't worry about the formatting (I can handle that for you).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:15 pm 
Master Guide

Answers to the Geocaching - Advanced honor are now available. I have now taken up this sport, and if you haven't, I can tell you that it is a lot of fun. I still don't have the advanced honor yet, but I am well on my way!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:02 pm 
Master Guide

Answers to the Disaster_Response_-_Advanced are now complete. The hardest part about putting this one together was finding Tornadoes to which ADRA has responded. Most tornadoes occur in the United States, and ADRA doesn't operate here (but rather leaves that to Adventist Community Services - ACS). Anyhow, my club is working on this honor right now, so I had a good impetus to finish it off!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:41 pm 
Master Guide

The Glass Painting honor is finished. Check it out (and make corrections of you think it's necessary - I'm not an expert).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:42 pm 
Master Guide

The first honor to be completely answered in the Wikibooks project this year is (drum roll please) Soap Craft - Advanced. That makes 253 honors now that have comprehensive answers. Things have slowed down a bit lately, which is why I encourage anyone of you reading this to add some answers to the answer book. Little by little, we will finish this work (or at least make it such that the only unanswered honors are the newly introduced ones).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:08 pm 
Master Guide

Answers to the Puppetry - Advanced honor are now available in the Wikibook. This one (and the regular Puppetry honor which has been done for some time now) look like they would really be a lot of fun. I'm trying to decide if our club has time to work some puppetry into Pathfinder Sabbath which is coming up next month. Problem is, we also need to work on the Pinewood Derby!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:20 pm 
Master Guide

I just noticed that the Literature Evangelism honor now has enough answers such that it could be taught (or earned) from the information in the Answer Book. There are still a few options that could be used in meeting the last requirement with no instruction, but those can be added in the future. As it is, it meets the definition I've been using for "complete."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:27 pm 
Master Guide

I just finished putting the answers to the Knitting honor together. Last night I finished the last requirement I needed to earn this one. Knitting is actually pretty cool from an engineering standpoint. Think about it - you take a one dimensional object (yarn) and turn it into a two dimensional object (a scarf). Sometimes you can turn it into a three dimensional object (a hat or pair of socks). Plus you get to tie knots with needles. Before I started on this, that hardly seemed possible, but after having knitted a couple of projects (including a pair of socks), it's almost second nature now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:25 pm 
Master Guide

Answers to the revised/new ADRA honor Conflict Resolution are ready now. This one used to be called Crisis Intervention, but when the ADRA honors were revamped last year, this one was renamed and changed pretty significantly.

Now that answers for all the new requirements have been added, we can once again mark the ADRA series as complete. Yay!

That brings our total up to 257 honors with comprehensive answers. Yay again!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:17 pm 
Master Guide

Answers to the Whistles honor are now ready. I'm ready to work on this one myself now, as it's a pretty cool honor. I'm especially eager to try out the instructions for making a pan whistle and a flute whistle. (Maybe that's because that's the only thing I still need to do to earn this one - I saved the best part for last).

If you look at this honor, you might notice a ruggedly handsome Pathfinder leader wearing an awesome khaki hat with an even more awesome beard demonstrating a grass whistle! I wonder who that could be! :lol:

The other great thing about marking this honor complete is that it is the 40th complete honor in the Arts & Crafts category which has 80 honors in it. So I also got to mark that category as 50% complete. I count that as a huge milestone! I will be even more stoked when we can mark the Recreation category as 50% complete. It's sitting there at 39 out of 83, so if we could just knock out three more, we'd cross the 50% mark there too. Then all of the categories would be at least 50% complete.

Consider that an invitation to add some answers to the WIki!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 360 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next